Stay connected and see what's happening at WAE this month.
Letter from Mrs. Rodriguez
Dear Wildcat Families,
We started this school year virtually, and despite it being a challenge, I commend you all for doing everything it took to make sure our Wildcats were online and learning. Unlike the past Spring semester, this year the remote learning expectations for our students were back to the high level of rigor we have come to expect from GPISD and Woodland Acres Elementary. Students were expected to be present, participating and most of all, acquiring new skills. I am proud to say that Ms. Zavala and I have visited several "classrooms" and we have witnessed our Wildcats hard at work. Once again, thank you parents for making your child's education a priority and being flexible with us along the way!
I look forward to continuing our partnership this year for the success of all students! Together, we will!
Mrs. Sandra Rodriguez, Principal
Students Continuing with Virtual/Remote Learning
Face to Face Learners Starting on October 5th
- Parents must self-assess their child daily. If your child is experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, has been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or is lab--confirmed for COVID-19, please call the District Student Reporting Line at 832-386-1091. We want to keep everyone at school healthy and COVID-19 free, so please help us by not sending your child to school sick.
- Students are not required to wear a standardized dress code or uniform. All attire must follow the GPISD Student Handbook guidelines.
- Students in grades 1-5 are required to wear a mask or face covering. Students in PK3, PK4, and Kindergarten may also wear a mask or face covering, but it is optional since these classrooms will have desk shields.
- The school building opens at 7:00 a.m. Students must be dropped off by the carpool line if arriving by car or walking. The bus riders will be dropped off at the bus ramp in front of the school.
- Students will report to their classroom upon arrival. They will sit (socially distanced) against the wall until the teacher opens the classroom door at 7:30 a.m.
- Students may bring a clear or mesh backpack to school.
- Students will eat breakfast for free in the classrooms every day.
- Students may bring a water bottle with them. Please label it with your child's name. Water fountains/water dispensers are currently closed.
- Students will be served lunch for free this year. Students will eat in the cafeteria but will be separated to ensure social distancing. The lunch schedule has also been modified to ensure cleaning of tables/seats before the next group enters.
- If students would like, they may bring lunch from home. No outside food deliveries or eating with students will be allowed this year.
- Chromebooks may be requested to be brought to school by classroom teachers.
- Student dismissal will be staggered. Front and back walkers will be released first; and then car riders. All car riders will receive a new tag for this year. (See the flyer below for more details.) Be sure to communicate with your child's teacher how your child will go home.
- Classrooms are sanitized daily by our custodial team. In addition, each classroom has a supply of its own supply of hand sanitizer and disinfectant sprays.
- For more information, visit GPISD's Reopening School's website here.
October 1 and 2: Car tag distribution
October 5-October 16: Window to make changes to instructional arrangement for the 2nd nine weeks
October 5-9: Fire Prevention Week
October 8: Happy Birthday, Ms. Guzman!
October 12: Columbus Day (No School)
October 12-16: National School Lunch Week
October 14: Brighter Bites Distribution
October 15: WATCO Gulf Tournament (Virtual)
October 16: Happy Birthday, Ms. Salazar!
October 19-22: National School Bus Safety Week
October 21: Unity Day/Bully-Free Day (Wear orange!)
October 22: Happy Birthday, Mrs. Sanchez!
October 23: End of the 1st nine weeks
October 23: Breast Cancer Awareness Day (Wear pink!)
October 24: Report Card Conferences
October 26-30: Red Ribbon Week
October 28: Brighter Bites Distribution
Join PTA Virtually
This year, our membership drive has gone virtual. Please join P.T.A. and support our school. To join you will have to go to http://joinpta.org/. Click the "Join PTA button," choose Galena Park ISD and Woodland Acres Elementary. After that, fill in the information and make your payment. If you have any questions, please feel free to send them to Mrs. Castro or Mrs. White. Thank you in advance for your support.