News, events, and celebrations from our room to yours!
JANUARY 26, 2015
SPOTLIGHT STUDENTS OF THE WEEK
This week our spotlight is on our friends Bryson and Denyn. Here are some fun and interesting things about them.
Healthy Plates are COLORFUL Plates
This week we will be learning all about:
- where our foods come from: ranch, farm, or orchard
- the different food groups: meat, grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy
We will take several mini quizzes throughout the unit when the information is fresh in the first graders mind. To prepare for the mini-quizzes this week please help your first grader distinguish where different foods come from (Mini Quiz on Wednesday).
- Vegetation (crops) come from farms.
- Animal products (hamburgers, pork chops, bacon, milk, eggs) come from ranches.
- Fruits that grow on trees come from orchards.
In the past I've noticed that many first graders have a difficult time identifying foods for the different food groups (Mini Quiz next Monday 2/2).
How can you help?
- Ask your first grader what food group different foods belong to. What is an apple? meat, grain, vegetable, fruit, or dairy?
- Ask your first grader to tell you three foods that belong in each food group. **This is typically difficult for our first graders.
Please follow this link to the NC Essential Standards for specific details. Go to pages 20 - 22 for the following Standards:
1.NPA.2 Create strategies to consume a variety of nutrient-dense foods and beverages and to consume less nutrient-dense foods in moderation.
1.NPA.1 Understand MyPlate as a tool for selecting nutritious foods.
- Items for our Treasure Box
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FROM HOMEROOM
- Our class will visit the school library on Friday.
- Please remember to send your first grader with a coat or jacket. Students need these for recess and outdoor PE days.
- Please be sure to sign up for the FA inclement weather text alert system. See directions below. Closing and delay information will also be sent by email and will be posted on WRAL news. REMINDER: Franklin Academy will now utilize a one hour delay on inclement weather days.
To subscribe to the new school-wide text messaging system. Please text: FACADEMY to 955-77. Standard text rates apply.