April 20, 2020
Notes from the Administration
The kids are loving morning announcements. Please consider sending in a video. Here is the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
April is Library Media Month
Look for Ms. Dattoli on morning announcements each day or follow her on Twitter @WHESLibraryFCPS to see her cool videos. If you are a tweeter, add her address to your tweet to get a shout out from Ms. Dattoli
Monday April 20th
Reading Takes Us Places
- Wear a shirt with a real or imaginary place on it
Tuesday April 21st
Reading is Our Superpower
- Dress as your favorite Superhero
Wednesday April 22nd
Hats off to Librarians
- Wear Your favorite hat in celebration of libraries
Thursday April 23rd
Check out these characters
- Dress as your favorite book character
Friday April 24th
Be A Librarian & Answer the Most Asked Question
- Recommend a book that everyone should read and why!
Accessing Your Child's Materials
- This week we are completely online with materials. Thank you for making the switch.
- To access Schoology, go to: http://lms.fcps.org
- You will be prompted to enter your child's email address which is unique to FCPS.
- Then enter the password.
If your child doesn't remember their email address or password, please contact your child's teacher.
A parent requested log in credentials of their own for Schoology. We are researching the answer to that request, and will share information next week.
Collecting paper packets
If you need support in scanning and sending, please let us know.
We can support you!
We've been instructed to not receive any paper packets at this time.
FCPS shared the grading policy for 4th quarter with families on Friday. Please let Mr. Migdal know if you did not receive the policy via Find Out First.
Several people have asked, what is the minimum requirement?
PreK - 30 minutes of work per day or 2.5 hours per week
K-2 1.5 hours of work per day or 7.5 hours per week
3-5 - 2 hours of work per day or 10 hours per week
The assignments that teachers have provided each week are required.
We are working with each family to assist students in meeting the requirements of continuity of learning. Please let your teacher know the struggles that you are having.
What happens if we don't do the required work?
Your child will receive an incomplete for Term IV, the school team will be required to develop and provide a plan to support the student once students are able to return to school.
We are here and willing to support you, and your child.
Mr. Bass was featured on Monday April 6, 2020 Morning Announcements.
You can reach him by sending an email to: Colin.Bass@fcps.org
Continuity of Learning Feedback
- We recognize that transitioning to our Continuity of Learning has it's challenges.
- Thank you for your patience as we make the complete transition to a technology based platform.
- Schoology has been working diligently to increase their capacity and performance as they have been inundated with online learners nationwide in the last 3 weeks.
- Feel free to give us your feedback as we grown and learn with you with this survey:
Blessings in A Backpack Food Pick Up
Meal Pick Up at WHES
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner served at WHES as "to go" 11:00-1:00
This is a change. FCPS Food Services will provide 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Dinners on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Free to all students 18 and under. Please consider taking advantage of opportunity.
Creating morning announcements has been a learning curve. We've become great youtubers, but are working to become great video hosts in Schoology. We aren't there yet, but are learning. Stay tuned!
If your child would like to be a guest on our morning announcements, please send your video to this email address: email@example.com
PreK Students- Jokes
Kindergarten Students- I wonders
1st Grade Students- Good morning Whittier
2nd Grade Students- Word Fun- Puns, Hink Pinks, Idioms
3rd Grade Students- Disney Trivia
4th Grade Students- Word of The Day
5th Grade Students- Leadership Quotes
If you would prefer that your child not be on video, you can just send in their submission to the email account, and they will get a shout out on announcements.
All submissions need to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students can also send submissions through their Schoology account to Mrs. Schwiegerath, each student received a message from me.
You may also email them to: email@example.com
Access to WI-FI Resources
- Comcast Xfinity Free WiFi network
- Comcast Xfinity has turned on a Wi-Fi sub-network on all of their home/business internet routers and made it free to access for anyone within range.
- Comcast removed data plan caps for 60 days, making all connections unlimited.
- Frozen disconnects and lat fees
- Comcast Internet Essential Program
- Two free months for families that apply before April 30th, 2020
- Network speed performance increased
- Comcast is waiving the outstanding debt satisfaction requirement for Households with debt owed to Comcast for applications approved prior to May 13th, 2020
- Verizon Wireless
- Waving new line activation fees, late fees, and service terminations through May 13th, 2020
- Free international calling until April 30th, 2020
- Additional 15GB of mobile hotspot data has been added for all customers and data plans.
- All smartphone data plans are unlimited through May 13th, 2020
- All smartphone hotpot plans can add an additional 10GB per month for two months free
- Free unlimited international calling
- AT&T wireless
- All late fees for wireless, home phone and broadband residential customers are waived until May 13, 2020
- Domestic wireless plan overage charges for data, voice and text for residential customers are waived until May 13, 2020
Whittier Elementary School PTA