Madison Library Learning Center
Book Fair News
We had a very successful book fair. We were able to give away $612.00 in free books to faculty, parent book fair helpers, Mr. Grace’s class for reading the most Bluestem (check out his trophy), students who read all 20 Bluestem nominees, and students who read 10 Caudill nominees. Madison also added copies of the Monarch, Bluestem, and Caudill Award Books to the library. We also earned $1500.00 to buy more books for the library. Thank you for your support!
Next Year's Book Fair Schedule:
Fall: October 26-October 30
Spring: April 11-April 15
3rd Grade Research
Students are researching Famous People of Illinois and will present in the form of a living museum.
3rd Grade Presentations
The Living Museum presentations will take place on Tuesday, May 5th in the gym and multipurpose room for parents.
First Grade learn the library catalog
ALL LIBRARY BOOKS ARE DUE MAY 22nd
Classes will not check out books the week of May 18, unless items are needed for a class project. A list of materials you have out will be delivered to your mailbox. Please review the list and let me know if you don’t think it is accurate or if you have lost any items. Please return all library materials as soon as you are finished with them. Thank you.
KEEP SAVING BOX TOPS OVER THE SUMMER! Remember they are located on the reams of copy paper wrap. Please save.
MATERIALS FOR NEXT YEAR
If you would like to see the Library Learning Center purchase specific books or professional material for next year, please e-mail Diane with titles or subject suggestions. Your ideas are always welcome.
SUMMER READING PROGRAMS
Students have the opportunity to participate in two summer Reading Programs:
- Wheaton Public Library
Diane will let you know when Wheaton Public will be in the library to explain the program to all classes.
- CUSD 200
- Read Kiddo Read, from author James Patterson and librarian Judy Freeman
- Children's Choices from the International Reading Association
- Common Sense Media
- Graphite is a free online resource to help discover and use the best apps, websites, and digital curricula. Here is a video explaining graphite.
- App Flow , a feature of Graphite helps teachers think about how different tools fit into the process of planning and delivering a lesson.
- Readers Theater Scripts can be found at "Teaching Heart: Readers Theater Scripts" and Plays and "Timeless Teacher Stuff. " For more Readers Theater resources see slj.com/ReadersTheater.
More Research in May!
- First grade will be researching insects
- Fourth grade will be researching regions of the United States.
2015 Readers's Choice Awards Announced
Monarch: Drew Daywit's The Day the Crayons Quit, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers
Bluestem: Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan
Congratulations also to the winner of the Rebecca Caudill award: Legend by Marie Lu.