LoES Eagle News
February 2, 2018
A Message From Our Administrative Team
The third quarter of the 2017-2018 school year is upon us and we are already into the month of February. There are many events/celebrations happening this month including Black History Month, Valentine's Day, our LoES Friendship Fling and the Maker Faire. Details about these events (and more) are included below for your reference. We hope to see many of our families participate in one or more of the upcoming events scheduled to take place throughout the month of February. Please be sure to check out the "News & Notes" section of the newsletter as it includes several items that we want all of our families to be aware of. We hope that you find the information contained within this edition of the Eagle News useful and we appreciate your continued partnership moving forward into the second half of the school year.
LoES Administrative Team
- Saturday, February 3rd - McDonald's Grand Opening Event (celebrate & support LoES)
- Monday, February 5th - Report Cards issued to students
- Thursday, February 8th - Hearing and Vision Screenings
- Monday, February 12th - after-school program for invited 2nd & 4th grade students begins
- Monday February 12th through Thursday, February 15th - Change Matters Campaign at LoES (learn more here)
- Tuesday, February 13th - General PTA Meeting
- Wednesday, February 14th - Valentine's Day Celebrations (in teams)
- Thursday, February 15th - Quarter 2 Awards Assembly
- Thursday, February 15th - Friendship Fling
- Friday, February 16th - Professional Development Day - Schools closed for students
- Monday, February 19th - President's Day - Schools closed for students
- Thursday, February 22nd - Maker Faire (*more info below)
Click HERE to view the LoES Community Calendar for future events
Car Loop Information
Reminders to keep students safe
- Please be courteous when traveling through the car loop. Many families are looking to get their student(s) to or from school and our staff works hard to ensure that both cars and pedestrians are moving through efficiently and safely.
- Please stop at the stop located at Hesperus Drive & Eliots Oak Road. This is important as we have students of all ages coming to and from school and it's the law.
- Please know that safety is our number one priority. Please be mindful of the above reminders so that we do not compromise the safety of our students for a relatively short amount of time traveling through the car loop.
News & Notes
- Winter MAP Testing - beginning in February, students in grades 1 through 5 will participate in the Winter administration of the MAP assessment. Below are the specific testing dates by grade:
- Grade 1: February 8th & February 13th
- Grade 2: February 2nd & February 9th
- Grade 3: February 1st & February 7th
- Grade 4: January 30th & February 9th
- Grade 5: January 29th & February 7th
- Overdue Media Center Books - to date, we have more than 100 books that are overdue which could potentially cost the school more than $2,000 to replace. We make every effort to keep the books in our Media Center up-to-date and of high interest for all of our students. If you have previously received an overdue notice, please consider looking around for the book(s) so that it/they can be returned to our Media Center. If you are unable to return a book due to extenuating circumstances, please contact our front office at 410-313-6879. We appreciate your assistance!
LoES Maker Faire 2018 - coming on Thursday, February 22 from 6:00-8:00pm! We are looking for adult and student makers who want to share their creations as well as donations of items for our maker activities that night. Please visit our Google Site to fill out a maker proposal form to share your creations at the MakerFaire.
- Learning Together Program - The Longfellow Regional Early Childhood Center (RECC) preschool program is making preparations for classes for the 2018-19 school year. These classes include children with and without disabilities. The program’s focus is helping all children develop communication, literacy, math, problem solving, motor, and social skills. Parents of children who will be 3 by September 1st or 4 years of age may contact Cecilia Booth or Sue Brown in the school office for an application package beginning February 15. All applications must be returned by the last Friday in March. A limited number of openings are available for children without disabilities. Children are selected based upon screening information given on the application form and the “Ages and Stages Questionnaire,” as well as observations of the child’s participation in a playgroup. If necessary, a lottery process is conducted. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Dailey at Jennifer_dailey@hcpss.org
- Youth Day in Annapolis - the annual youth day in Annapolis is designed to teacher students about the power of civiv engagement and how the government works. This is not an HCPSS-sponsored event, but you can learn more information and how to register here.
- Family Fit Night is coming to LoES - join us on Tuesday, March 6th for Family FIT Night at Longfellow. You can view the flyer for the event here and those interested in volunteering can use this form.
- Road to Kindergarten - Do you have a child who will be 5 years old by September 1, 2018? Please join us for an information session about Kindergarten in the Howard County Public School System. Check out the flyer and learn more about the sessions here.
- Making Summer Vacation Plans? - All 4th grade students can get free access to National Parks throughout the US for a year. Includes everyone in the vehicle. Get more information here.
LoES PTA Corner
- Please follow us on Facebook (Longfellow Elementary School PTA)
- HELP WANTED! We need volunteers for the yearbook! There won’t be a yearbook unless there are parent volunteers! Please contact Lisa Wynne @ firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested.
- Please consider using the LOES PTA AmazonSmile link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/23-7111263 when doing your online shopping!
- Certifikid (www.certifikid.com) offers many deals on family and kid-only entertainment. Use promo code "LOES" at checkout for any purchases $30 and over to receive $5 off. The best part is Longfellow ES PTA will also receive $5 for every purchase made!
- The PTA Spring Fair Committee is looking for volunteers for the Spring Fair! Saturday, May 12th. Volunteer opportunities include: Planning committee, set-up/take-down, games, concessions, silent auction, staff raffle/basket organization, ticket sales, advertising, and more! Please contact Brooke Dalesio or Lisa Wynne for more info.
- Next PTA Meeting - Tuesday, February 13th!
- On February 14 we will be having a Staff Appreciation with Valentine's Treats!!! Please use the sign up below if you would like to contribute some baked goods to help thank our teachers for their hard work!
- Box Tops = Cash for our school. Send in as many Box Tops as you can by Friday, February 23. The money generated from this collection will be included in the school's Spring check. These funds will be used to purchase important supplies for the students. Box Tops for Education Coordinator: Ellen Edmondson (email@example.com)
- Read-a-thon is coming and we need your help to make it a great event for our students. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Jennie Davidson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit Community News and Programs on the HCPSS website for all announcements of upcoming events and programs sponsored by non-profit organizations. The button above will redirect users directly to the Community News & Programs website.