833 Young Scholars
Nurturing Potential, Sustaining Support
Happy November Everyone!
Once again this month, the Young Scholar Parent Newsletter will be exploring information found in the National Association for Gifted Children's (NAGC) publication Helping Your Gifted Child Succeed!
It is my hope that the information presented in this brochure will help increase access for you, as parents, to ideas and resources that can help guide your Young Scholar along their learning journey.
This month will focus on the In the Community portion of the brochure.
Young Scholars works with students, families and schools to increase...
Exploring Community Enrichment Opportunities
The NAGC brochure Helping Your Gifted Child Succeed! includes the following suggestions when considering community resources to help your Young Scholar discover their strengths and explore interests and abilities.:
- Universities and community organizations offer after school, weekend, summer, and online enrichment programs.
- Mentors and talent experts can be guides and sources of knowledge and inspiration.
- Activites and outside courses can nurture talent and help establish friendships with those who share the same interests.
- Group and individual projects or competitions can help to build lifelong skills.
Fortunately, a wide variety of resources like those above can be found in and around our community. However, there are sometimes also a wide variety of challenges (cost, time, transportation to name a few) that can make it hard to take advantage of these opportunities. Here are a few suggestions for navigating through potential roadblocks to resources:
- Schools, libraries, and other organizations often offer free extra-curricular classes and enrichments. Keep a lookout for information that may come home with your Young Scholar.
- Check to see if a program has financial assistance available that can pay for part or all of the cost. Many do!
- If you want to find something really local that also fits your time schedule, consider coordinating an enrichment group of your own. Parent participation is often the key to getting groups going, and you don't have to do it alone. Support is available through the sponsoring organizations.
Check out our November Resources section below for more information on community opportunities for your Young Scholar.
To access the NAGC brochure Helping Your Gifted Child Succeed!, click underneath the pictures below for links to both a Spanish and English version:
Check It Out!
Information, Resources and Opportunities for Your Young Scholar
Reach For The Stars
- Concordia Language Villages - Ages 2-18 (p.11)
- Crazy 8s Math Club - Grades K-5 (p.12) *parent leadership opportunity
- Destination Imagination - Grades K-12 (p.13) *parent leadership opportunity
- Girls Who Code Clubs - Grades 3-12 (p.16) *parent leadership opportunity
- Math CEP-Saturday Morning Math Enrichment - Grades 5-7 (p.21)
- Minnesota PTA Reflections (art program) - Grades K-12 (p.31)
Your Extraordinary Saturday (YES) program through the Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth offers students unique and engaging activities on Saturdays throughout the year. Financial aid is available.
Click here for the Fall 2019 brochure. The final fall class is November 23 but check back for future class offerings.
My name is Colleen Redmond, and I am thrilled to work as the 833 Young Scholars advocate and lead teacher.
I'm a mom of two teenagers, a wife, small business owner, avid biker (the pedal kind), book enthusiast, and beekeeper. Plus, on top of all of that, I have the happy job of implementing and growing the Young Scholars program here in 833!
I've been lucky enough to teach in South Washington County Schools for over twenty-five years and have had the incredible opportunity to be a part of the lives of so many students and families over the years.
Now, as part of Young Scholars, I have the honor of working with the amazing staff, students, and families throughout 833. I am so very excited to work with and support you and your Young Scholar. I can't wait to see where the journey takes us!