February 16, 2016
February 23 - PTO Meeting (3rd Grade performs)
March 18 - 8:00 a.m. - Biography Book Report Presentations (parents are invited)
Columbia Fireflies Reading Program
This fun reading program combines books and baseball! Students who read 4 books between February 11 - March 11 can earn:
- A free ticket to a Fireflies baseball game on Sunday, May 15th at 2:05 pm.
- Free hot dog & drink
- A surprise grand prize and the chance to run the bases! For more information, visit COLUMBIAFIREFLIES.COM.
Last Thursday, you should have received copies of the READING PROGRAM INSTRUCTIONS. On the back is where they record the books they read. Once a student has filled out their VERIFICATION FORM in entirety (including titles of books read and parent signatures), they can turn in the form to me. Ticket order forms will be distributed to qualifying students when the program ends.
- We are still in need of paper towel rolls. Please continue to send these in at your convenience. We have received enough rice and dried beans. Thank you!
- Tomorrow I will discuss the upcoming biography book report presentations with the entire class. These presentations will take place on March 18th at 8:00 a.m. in our classroom. A letter explaining this project will be in your child's yellow folder on Wednesday.
- We are continuing to discuss figurative language. So far we have discussed similes, metaphors and personification. This week we will discuss onomatopoeia and alliteration.
- The spelling lesson this week is doubling the final consonant when a suffix begins with a vowel.
- This week we will discuss making inferences when reading.
- The idiom of the week is "getting cold feet." Ask your child if he can explain what this means.
This week we will read time to five minutes and will discuss the difference in a.m. and p.m.
There will not be a fact test this week. Please continue to help your child study for these tests.
In social studies this week, we will discuss colonists, why they came to America, and what their life was like.