The PRES Press
Principal's Monthly Newsletter, June 2020
A Message from Principal Amy Fishkin
Report Cards Go Live - Friday, June 26th
Your child’s spring semester report card will become available live on the eSchool data parent portal on Friday, June 26, 2020 after 3:00 pm. To access the Portal, click on the following link: https://www.bcsdny.org/domain/90 or go to the District homepage and click on the “Parent Portal” link in the lower righthand corner.
Report cards are only available online. Hard copies of report cards are only sent home to families who do not have access to a computer. Please make sure to save or print the report card, once viewed, in order to keep for your records.
Summer Reading 2020
This might be one of the most challenging summers of our lives, as we head into the warmer temperatures, still under the veil of the coronavirus pandemic. While we may be relieved to have finished a challenging school year, we might also worry about the lack of routine that lay ahead. During the summer months, I hope that you will find time to recharge your batteries, spend time outdoors, and engage in meaningful ways with your children. Now, more than ever, maintaining reading, writing and math skills will be critical as we continue along this unprecedented path of learning during COVID-19. Please keep summer reading alive! Children who do not read during the summer months risk experiencing summer slide, where they can regress 2 reading levels if they do not maintain a consistent reading routine. You can conquer the summer slide by devoting 10-20 minutes of reading each day. Here are some resources to help you and your family engage in reading and learning in the summer months!
Keep Track of Summer Reading
More Summer Reading Resources
- Chromebook Online Tools are STILL AVAILABLE: All of your child's online programs, used during the school year, are still available on the BCSD Launchpad during the summer. Tools like: IXL, Raz-Kids, MyON, BrainPop, and Spelling City are still available for your child to use. Please go to the student launchpad to access these tools. A link to the launchpad is in the lower righthand corner of the District website. Your child should use his/her school username and password to access the launchpad resources.
- Summer Reading Article for Parents during Coronavirus: https://www.additudemag.com/summer-activities-for-kids-adhd-coronavirus/
- Activism & Equality Picture Book List: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v43Xx-fFEFVEIbcJsku_Mx465aNfCatvHqINqUQewGM/edit?usp=sharing
- Summer Virtual Camp Programs: https://www.varsitytutors.com/virtual-summer-camps
- Screen-Free Summer Fun Ideas: Click on this Summer 2020 Bucket List for a bingo board of 30 screen-free summer fun ideas for you and your family!
- Fox Read 2020 - Attention 4th, 5th & 6th Grade Families: Last year, students and families across BCSD joined together in reading one book, one community, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. For next year, the Fox Read Committee is pleased to announce that Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life has been selected as the Fox Read for 2020. If you’d like to get an early start on the book, here are links to the recordings of the preface and first chapter.