Middle School South News....
April 1, 2019
ACT ASPIRE TESTING INFORMATION
ACT Aspire Testing is soon...
5th grade will be testing April 8th and 9th.
6th grade will be testing April 10th and 11th.
Expectations for ACT Aspire Testing:
· Be present and on time
· Use time wisely - working the majority of testing time
· Use the tools and resources provided to you during testing
· Be courteous and polite while all students are testing
· Follow all testing rules and procedures
· MUST notify teacher before submitting any testing
5th and 6th grade students will receive incentives next week for working hard on the ACT Aspire testing. We will have games, art, music, activities and snacks for students to wind down with after testing.
Cabot Middle School South Parents/Guardians,
All fifth graders will be taking the ACT Aspire on Monday, April 8th and Tuesday, April 9th. All sixth grade students will take the ACT Aspire on Wednesday, April 10th and Thursday, April 11th.
As a parent, there are a number of ways that you can support your child before taking a standardized test:
1. Help your child get to bed on time the night before each testing day. Research shows that being well-rested helps students perform better.
2. Keep your routine as normal as possible. Upsetting natural routines may make children feel insecure.
3. Have your child eat a good breakfast but not a heavy one. Research shows that students do better if they have breakfast before they take tests.
4. Get up early to avoid rushing. Be sure to have your child at school on time. Testing will begin promptly at 8:00.
5. Be positive about the test, don’t dwell on it. Acknowledge that tests can be hard. Explain that doing your best is what counts. The important thing is to make your child comfortable and confident about the test.
We have to make a few changes in our schedule to accommodate our testing schedule for April 8-11:
Monday, April 8th
Reading, Writing, and English
Tuesday, April 9th
Math and Science
Wednesday, April 10th
Reading, Writing, and English
Thursday, April 11th
Math and Science
Lunch and activity times have been adjusted to accommodate the above testing times. Please call the office with any schedule questions you may have regarding this.
Special incentives will be provided on the afternoons of testing.
Kona Ice will be visiting fifth graders on Tuesday and sixth graders on Thursday. Students may purchase a snow cone for $3 on their assigned day.
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.”—General Colin Powell
WE BELIEVE IN YOU!
Nurse Reminder to Middle School South Parents
Parents play an important role in their child’s health. To protect the health of all Middle School South students and staff, it is important that each parent be aware of their child’s health BEFORE sending them to school each day.
I need to stress again to you the importance of keeping your child at home if they are sick. If your child feels bad, please check their temperature. If they have a temperature of 100 or more DO NOT SEND THEM TO SCHOOL. This rule applies if they have a fever during the evening or before school in the morning.
STUDENTS MUST STAY HOME UNTIL THE TEMPERATURE STAYS BELOW 100 FOR 24 HOURS WITHOUT MEDICATION SUCH AS TYLENOL, MOTRIN, OR ADVIL.
For example: if your child feels bad tonight or in the morning and has a temperature of 100.0 you should NOT send them to school tomorrow. Please do not medicate your child and send them to school.
Also if your child has vomiting or diarrhea, please keep them home until they are symptom free for 24 hours. Stomach viruses are very contagious.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions about when your child should return to school you may contact me.
Kimberly Armstrong, RN
News from the CMSS Counseling Center:
The mission of the Cabot Middle School South’s Counseling Program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, career and personal/social development of all students. School counselors partner with other educators, parents/guardians and the community support of the total educational program.
Nicole True, 5th Grade Counselor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jana Terrell, 6th Grade Counselor: email@example.com
Please let us know how we can help your child at CMSS.
Click the button to view Cabot School District meal prices plus breakfast and lunch menus.
4- 5th grade REAL Panther Assembly
5- 6th grade REAL Panther Assembly
5th grade ACT Aspire Testing April 8th and 9th
6th grade ACT Aspire Testing April 10th and 11th
24- Secretary's Day
25- 5th grade Track and Field
26- 6th grade Track and Field
3- Cafeteria Appreciation Day
6-10 Teacher Appreciation Week
10- Space Camp/Space Day
16- 5th grade REAL Panther Assembly
17- 6th grade REAL Panther Assembly
23- Last Day of School
Click the link to view the 2018-2019 Student Handbook.
THE R.E.A.L. PANTHER PLEDGE
Be Someone’s R.E.A.L. Hero
As R.E.A.L. Panthers, we believe…
R.E.A.L. Panthers show RESPECT:
● To all students, all adults, and ourselves
● For our campus
● By being honest and kind
R.E.A.L. Panthers will EXPLORE:
● Ready to learn
● With materials and supplies
● With a willingness to try
R.E.A.L. Panthers will ACHIEVE:
● By creating a safe environment
● With their actions and choices for their own success
R.E.A.L. Panthers will LEAD:
● In their school
● In their learning
● In helping and serving others
Click the Cabot Public Schools Website bar to take you directly to the District Homepage.
Free and Reduced Form is now available online!
Parents can now fill out free and reduced forms online! Check this out:
BOX TOPS MAKE A DIFFERENCE AT MIDDLE SCHOOL SOUTH
Remember to collect those BOX TOPS over the summer to help your upcoming class win some cool prizes!
To receive messages via text, text @mssparent to 81010. You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @mssparent.
WHAT IS REMIND AND WHY IS IT SAFE?
Remind is a free, safe, and simple messaging tool that helps teachers share important updates and reminders with students & parents. Subscribe by text, email or using the Remind app. All personal information is kept private. Teachers will never see your phone number, nor will you see theirs. Visit remind.com to learn more
CABOT SCHOOLS APP!
Cabot Public Schools is proud to debut its new mobile app.
The app gives parents, students, staff and patrons direct and immediate access to school news, notifications, student info, resources and much more!
All this information is available in one place and right at your fingertips. It’s also free and just a single download away.
The free official Cabot Public Schools app is available right now in the App Store for iPhones and on Google Play for Android users.
If you have an iPhone, to get started visit the App Store and search for Cabot Public Schools or Cabot School District. Once you find it, just click on it to download the app to your phone.
If you have an Android phone, you’ll go to Google Play, and again either search Cabot Public Schools or Cabot School District and download it to your phone.
Once it’s downloaded, you’ll want to explore all the features available. It’s a great place to stay connected.
• Keep up-to-date on the district’s top news stories
• Customize your app to follow and get notifications from the district and/or school(s) of your choice
• Calendar of school events
• Find contact and staff information on each school and departments
• Access student information, grades, upcoming assignments, and cafeteria balances
• If you’re new to the district, find your school and your student’s bus route
• Lunch menus
• Pay cafeteria balances
• Resources for students, parents, faculty and staff
• Provide feedback, suggestions or contact the superintendent
Our new Cabot Public Schools app also automatically translates all this information into more than 50 languages. All you have to do is go to the Settings Icon and select your preferred language.
If you’re not able to download the app, don’t worry. We'll still continue distributing all our information just like we have before through social media, phone calls, texts, emails, website, school announcements, and newsletters. This new app is just another tool to help us connect with you.
*We encourage you to always follow the district (Cabot Public Schools) to keep up-to-date on important information.