Top TEN News @ Weston
May 22, 2020
2. WESTON DRIVE THRU PARADE! On Wednesday, May 27, please join us by driving your car through the Park Chapel parking lot (1176 E. McKenzie Road) to wave at your Weston teachers and staff. We would love to see your smiling faces.... at a safe distance... and send you off to a great summer! Please enter from McKenzie Street from 6-7:30 PM. All students will need to stay in their cars. We hope to see you! Rain or shine (unless thunder/lightning)! More info to come from your teachers.
3. Registration is now open for incoming Kindergarten students for 2020-2021. Go to this link to learn more https://gcsc.k12.in.us/?page_id=3404
4. Bentley's Place is open for students to continue reading over the summer with a buddy for 30 minute sessions. Contact them to set up times - online experiences will be available too. Check out the flyer found below.
5. NEW RESOURCE: BeWellIndiana.org is designed to address the increase in anxiety, depression and other mental health issues caused by the coronavirus pandemic, including both first-time issues as well as preexisting mental health concerns. According to the Indiana FSSA, the website will initially focus on various mental health challenges due to COVID-19, but will be updated regularly and will continue to evolve as a resource beyond the current crisis. Hoosiers can visit the website to find trusted resources curated by FSSA’s Division of Mental Health and Addiction, including information ranging from coping mechanisms, crisis counseling, how to self-monitor for signs of stress, domestic violence resources, substance use disorder and recovery, and tips for helping children, youth and teens. Videos featuring medical experts, persons in recovery, and other practicing Indiana clinicians addressing specific mental health topics are also available on the site.
6. SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Everyone is invited to join the Hancock County Public Library’s annual Summer Reading Challenge! Sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge on our website hcplibrary.org beginning June 1.
Kids receive a paperback book and a surprise after reading 5 hours and teens receive a paperback book after reading 10 hours. Every hour they read and log through August 1 earns them an entry to a prize drawing of their choice.
Sign up for our newsletter to receive information about the library’s fun weekly programs and activities on our Facebook page. Upcoming virtual programs include Daniel Lusk Magic Show, Amazon John, Madcap Puppets, and ComedySportz. In addition, DIY craft videos and take-home crafts will be available.
Your student has a digital library card number that can be found in their school portal. Curbside pick-up is available as of May 18. Check out e-materials through Overdrive and Hoopla to keep reading all summer long.
7. Summer Learning Resources for Families: Students’ access to learning opportunities through the summer months is particularly critical this year. To promote learning during this unprecedented time and stem summer learning loss, MetaMetrics®(link is external) today announced(link is external) with CCSSO that it is offering free premium access to parent tools that support remote student learning. A resource guide is available here(link is external) to review free, online reading and math tools that support remote learning. The tools can be used regardless of if students have Lexile® and Quantile® measures.
As a reminder, the Hancock County Public Library has a lot of great online resources:
eBooks/downloadable audiobooks through Overdrive and Hoopla
Educational resources including tutoring through Brainfuse
Fun resources for kids like TumbleBooks and Muzzy
All of these are accessible with your library card at http://www.hcplibrary.org.
8. Camp Invention Connect
This summer we are once again looking forward to partnering with Camp Invention to bring a hands-on, STEM-based camp to our students. However, due to the impact of COVID-19, we will be transitioning a brand-new, at-home camp experience called Camp Invention Connect. Although we cannot fully recreate the experience of attending a camp in person, we are excited for our families to engage in learning together.
If you are interested in registering a child, we do have many $100 scholarships available to support our G-C families. This brings the cost of Camp Invention Connect to only $75 per child. Please complete the Camp Invention Scholarship Form if you would like to learn more about this scholarship opportunity. A huge thanks goes out to our community partners for providing scholarship support: Duke Energy, Hancock Health, G-C School Foundation and Vectren.
9. At this time all GCCSC schools will remain closed until July 1st. Future plans will be set for July for the following: iPad returns; yearbook deliveries; and collecting student items left at school and in classrooms. Anyone who is moving and will not be attending GC Schools next year can schedule an iPad drop off time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Indiana Department of Education Recognizes All Indiana Teachers as 2021 'Teacher of the Year!'
The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) has recognized all Indiana teachers collectively as the 2021 Teacher of the Year. Traditionally, one educator each year is recognized.
“The COVID-19 pandemic brought new complexities and challenges to schools with no advance warning,” said State Superintendent Dr. Jennifer McCormick. “Teachers across our state have displayed a level of flexibility and commitment, underscoring the fact Hoosiers really are #INthisTogether.”
For more than 60 years, IDOE has conducted the Teacher of the Year program to recognize outstanding classroom teachers from across the state. The program’s mission is to inspire, rejuvenate, and celebrate the teaching profession. While the traditional process will resume with the 2022 selection, IDOE is proud to take this opportunity to recognize all of the dedicated educators serving Indiana’s 1.2 million students during these nontraditional times.
For more information regarding the Indiana Teacher of the Year program, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/toy.
Peer Appreciation Winners @ Weston!
Summer Reading Challenge
Sign up at https://hcplibrary.org/
June 13 - 17
Scholarships are available!