Congratulations, West Elementary!
A Canvas Campus
Why a 'Canvas Campus'?
Consistent and meaningful implementation of the Canvas learning management system in classrooms across West Elementary will:
- Increasingly provide students with personalized and '21st century' learning opportunities.
- Enhance the timeliness & effectiveness of classroom-to-home communication and increase levels of parent/guardian engagement in the learning process.
- Provide opportunities for online professional learning that is both flexible and actionable.
- Empower teachers' collaborative work, both within and across grade levels.
West Elementary will be a model for all other campuses in Arlington ISD!
TEACHERS will be empowered to:
- Utilize the Canvas syllabus as their default website in order to increase the ease and effectiveness of classroom-to-home communication.
- Utilize Canvas course calendars for the posting of important events, assignments, etc.
- Utilize Canvas course announcements to communicate expectations and assignments during periods of planned or unexpected teacher absence.
- Utilize Canvas to provide student access to district-adopted digital textbooks.
- Utilize Canvas discussion forums in order to provide students with meaningful opportunities for communication and collaboration.
- Utilize Canvas quizzes as a formative assessment tool and provide intervention and extension pathways in modules.
- Utilize Canvas and AISD blended learning templates in order to design and deliver blended lessons.
CAMPUS LEADERS WILL BE EMPOWERED TO:
- Facilitate grade-level and/or course professional learning communities in Canvas.
- Design & deliver online and/or blended professional learning opportunities in Canvas.**
- Moderate staff discussions around relevant instructional topics and campus goals.
- Utilize Canvas to monitor its implementation both at the individual classroom and campus level.
**Requires successful completion of the AISD Online Professional Learning Designer & Instructor Certification Course.
As a Canvas Campus, what SUPPORT will we receive?
- A minimum of 12 hours of on-campus Canvas training & blended learning professional development
- Exclusive Canvas Challenge course cohort offered solely to campus teachers and staff
- Access to discipline-aligned and AISD-developed blended learning templates and website templates
- Access to the 'Canvas Campus' Support & Resources Course
- Prioritized enrollment of campus admins and instructional coaches in the AISD Online PL Cert. Course
- ITD facilitation of collaboration and learning between Canvas Campuses, as desired
- Explanatory information about Canvas co-enrollment, to provided to parents/guardians
- Parent training once during each semester - possible topics include digital citizenship, Internet safety, and the Observer Role in Canvas
- Registration for one 'master teacher' per campus to attend a professional learning conference or event (focused on blended learning)
A Next Step:
A fully-online and personalized course for seasoned Canvas-users that want to take their usage to the 'next level'.
A Starting Point:
A fully-online course offered during the summer, but it will also be offered during the 1st Six Weeks in a cohort just for your campus.
For Campus Admins:
A fully-online course that provides administrators with the AISD Online Professional Learning Design & Delivery Certification.