Fourth graders will be issued Chromebooks next week. In order for your students to get one, please complete the four blue links on the Digital Device Deployment page. The first link will direct you to MySchoolBucks.com to pay the $40 fee.
What We Are Learning This Week
Great Expectation Life Principle: Excellence
Math: Addition & Subtraction Strategies
Social Studies: Regions of Texas
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
Reading: Character & Setting Up Reader's Workshop
Language: Parts of Speech & Simple Subject & Predicate
Library is every Tuesday. Don't forget your books!
Homework Expectations: 1. Read a minimum of 20 minutes nightly and complete reading log. 2. Play math games for 20 minutes nightly and complete log. 3. Practice vocabulary words. Test on Friday.
You've Won the Homework Lottery!
Michelle, Maria, Dominick, Emily, Amina, Carmelo, & Mikaela
Next week, I'm including both reading and math logs. I'm expecting to have many winners! :-)
This Week's Vocabulary Words
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- provide - to give to or make available for
- evidence - facts or information that make you believe that something is true
- inference - conclusion reached on the basis of evidence
- support – to provide evidence for an idea or theory
- describe – to explain what something is like
- solve – to find a solution or answer for
- part – a portion of something bigger
- whole – complete or entire
- number line – horizontal line with numbers listed in order
- pictorial model – a model that uses pictures to represent ideas
- difference – number left after subtraction
- sum – the answer to an addition problem
- economic – relating to how people make money or get supplies
- political – about or relating to the government
- social – relating to being with a group of people
- magnetism – force fields attracting certain metal
- temperature – measurement of heat or cold
- texture – the feel on the surface of an object
- capacity – the ability to contain, hold, or absorb
- observe – to watch or study carefully
You can practice these words on Vocabulary Spelling City at: http://edmodo.spellingcity.com/Benjabc123/
If you haven't already been getting texts from Mrs. Sparks, please follow this link to sign up. Join to receive and send texts directly. The code is built in to this link.
Fourth Grade Trip to Austin
Friday, Nov. 6th, 5:45am-9:15pm
1100 Congress Avenue
Chaperones - Please send check by Tuesday. We can only take two parents per class. We will draw using the lottery system. Checks will be returned for those not going.
Cost: $90 per child - Due Sept. 25th (If finances are an issue, please communicate this.)
Transportation: Chartered coach
To set up your account, enter your email address as your username. If you don't' remember your password, click the link. If at any time you are prompted for your student's ID number, just ask her/him to tell you her/his lunch number.
Dates to Remember
Tuesday, Sept. 8th
Curriculum Night 6:00 to 7:00 (3rd-5th grade)
Thursday, Sept. 10th
Cookie Dough Fundraiser Kick Off
Friday, Sept. 11th
Patriot Day (recognized during Jump Start)
Grandparents' Day Lunch (our lunch is 11:20-11:50)
Tuesday, Sept. 22nd
PTA Meeting 5:45 pm
PTA Bicycle Rodeo & Ice Cream Blast 6-8 pm
Monday, Sept. 28nd
PTA Reflections Contest begins
Thursday, Oct. 1st
Lifetouch individual student pictures
WANTED: Used Dryer Sheets
Used dryer sheets for whiteboard erasers.
WANTED: Playing Cards
If you have decks of playing cards or UNO games, we would love to use them for math.
WANTED: Old Scrabble Tiles
If you have an old Scrabble set, we can use the letter tiles for our Word Work activities.