August 4, 2022
A Note from Ms. Owens
It's amazing to realize that Packet Pick-Up Day is next week. It feels like we were just celebrating the end of the school year and the return of the annual SCA carnival!
Mrs. Kehoe and I have been busy this summer as we worked to fill our open positions with strong candidates, and we are thrilled to welcome our new faculty and staff. We have also been preparing for the start of the 2022-23 school year.
- At the top of this Check-In, you will see our school-wide theme for 2022-23. Our hope is to use this theme to continue our work on developing growth mindsets with our students and to state our Cathoic identity with clarity.
- Packet Pick Up Day is scheduled for Thursday, August 11. Scroll down for more information.
- Families can stop by the church vestibule on Wednesday, August 10 between 8AM and 1PM to pick up paperwork envelopes.
Our amazing maintenance crew has been working hard to take care of the school and classrooms over the summer - washing windows, waxing floors, cleaning carpets, sprucing up some classrooms with new paint, fixing lockers, installing whiteboards, moving furniture, and so much more. They have also been quite busy over at the rectory this summer!
We anticipated two big projects this summer: stripping and resealing the gym floor and rennovating the Kane Hall bathrooms. Thank you to the Athletic Board for overseeing the work to the gym floor. It is beautifully refinished and you'll be surprised at how much lighter it is. The work on the Kane Hall bathrooms is still in progress. Thank you to the Men's Club and the Facilities Committee for all of their work on this project!
As happened to many of our school and parish families, Kane Hall took on some water in the very, very heavy rains the weekend of July 16-17. As a result, the Kane Hall kitchen floor is being replaced and some furniture in our PK classrooms is also being replaced.
- We have added the Voyages grammar/writing program and the Wonders reading program to our 4th grade curriculum. This will provide continuity for students as Voyages (grammar/writing) is used in grades 5-8 and Wonders (reading) is used in grades K-3.
- In the second half of the past school year, our K-8 homeroom teachers introduced Second Step, a well-known social emotional learning curriculum. The activities were well-received by both students and teachers. As a result, we will continue to use Second Step.
- Our K-3 classrooms will implement Secret Stories as phonics program. This will provide common language and approaches for students as they move through these grade levels. One of our classrooms piloted Secret Stories last year and those students achieved significant growth in phonics.
A Bit More News
- There is still time to register or volunteer for the 11th Annual Charge On 5K. Scroll down for more information!
- Please read the FSA Letter to School Families just below. A graphic detailing some FSA information is available further down in the Check-In.
- Scroll down for information on ways to support the Jack "Coach" Roche Scholarship.
- Please note the school office's summer hours below! If you need to contact the school outside of our summer hours, you can email either Mrs. Kehoe or me.
- The supply lists for the 2022-23 school year for grades K-8 are available at the link below. There is a separate link for PK3 and PK4 supply lists.
- The tentative calendar for the 2022-23 school year is available below.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Packet Pick-Up Day
- Families that would like to complete all paperwork in advance will have an opportunity to pick up the paperwork envelope on Wednesday, August 10. Any adult can pick up the envelope (neighbors, grandparents, etc.) in the church vestibule between 8AM and 1PM that day.
- Packet Pick-Up Day will be held in the gym.
- Please sign up for a time slot in the sign up below. Each family is ONE slot. There is no need to record the number of SCA students in your family.
- Families will need to have completed their paperwork in order to begin the Packet Pick Up process.
- Please click on the button below for more important details.
Each family is ONE slot. There is no need to record the number of SCA students in your family as that fills up other slots.
The 11th Annual Charge On 5K
The kick off to the 2022-23 school year will start with the 11th Annual Charge On 5K - Saturday August 13 at 8AM. Dust off those gym shoes, grab the family or a friend and sign up to run or walk!
- You can register via the button below or you can download and print a paper form (also available below) if you prefer.
- Please make sure to register by July 27th to guarantee your shirt size!
You can sign up for volunteer opportunities just below.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions to Kelly Evans at email@example.com
Covid Vaccination Information
If you or someone you know wants to get a vaccine, you will find a button below with easy-to-navigate information for Chicago, Cook County and surrounding counties.
The Sunday Collection
Visit the link below to set up your recurring contribution. Donors can change the amount of the contribution or pause it at any time.
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
This full-service fencing company is owned by an SCA family.
This certified public accounting firm is owned by an SCA family.
This funeral home is owned by an SCA family.
Here is another local restaurant where an SCA family is among the owners.
This breakfast and lunch spot is owned by an SCA family.
So Many On-going Ways to Support St. Catherine!
Wednesday, August 10
- Paperwork envelopes available for pick up from 8AM-1PM in the church vestibule
Thursday, August 11
- Packet Pick Up from 4-7PM in the gym (sign up for a time slot above)
Saturday, August 13
- Charge On 5K
- Parish Picnic
Wednesday, August 17
- Supply Drop Off for PK3-1st grades (Sign Up available on 8/12)
Thursday, August 18
First Day of School
- PK3 & PK4: 8AM-10AM
- K-8: 8AM-11AM
- Ice Cream Social (evening - times TBD)
Friday, August 19
- PK-8: 8AM-1PM (first day of lunch)
Monday, August 22
- First Full Day of School: 8AM-2:45PM
Wednesday, August 24
- Back to School/Curriculum Night