Kennedy Catholic Counseling News
May 1, 2015
May 6: AP Lit/Comp Exam (8 am)
May 8: AP US History Exam (8 am)
May 8: Registration Deadline for the June 5th SAT and the June 13th SAT
May 13: AP Stats Exam (noon)
June2-4: Senior Finals
June 5: Class of 2015 Graduation
June 6: SAT
June 10-11: Semester Exams
June 13: ACT
COUNSELING DEPARTMENT 2014-15
- grades 10-12, last names P-Z
- grades 10-12, last names A-G
- grades 10-12, last names H-O
- grade 9
- administrative assistant
AP Test Information
AP Testing - Dates, Times and Location
Literature and Composition is on Wednesday, May 6th. This is a late start day, please make arrangements to arrive for Check-in at 7:45, testing begins at 8:00 am in B169.
United States History is on Friday, May 8th. Please make arrangements to arrive for Check-in at 7:45, testing begins at 8:00 am in B169.
Statistics is on Wednesday May 13th. Testing begins at Noon in B169. Arrangements will be made for students to have lunch before testing begins.
For information about AP testing please consult the AP Bulletin -
If you have questions about AP exams, please contact Michelle Markle at email@example.com
Puget Sound Catholic Schools College Fair and Case Studies
On Thursday evening, April 23rd, juniors and their parents from 9 regional Catholic high schools met at Bishop Blanchet High School for the first ever Puget Sound Catholic Schools College Case Studies. Over 20 families attended from Kennedy High School. Thirty-five colleges were represented from all over the country. Previous to the event all students and parents were sent 3 case studies. College representatives walked through the admission process with the parents/students by evaluating each student in the case studies and deciding to either admit, waitlist, or deny him or her. Below is a quote from Kennedy parent, Stanley McKie: “Tonight was all very nice. The college admissions representatives were informed, animated and knowledgeable. Attempting to reach decisions on the three applicants was gut-wrenching. Having the panel helped me immensely to view all three applicants with a global out-look. A smashing success!” For more information about college events please contact the Kennedy Catholic Counseling Department.
Finding Kind Evening
On the evening of March 24, the Lady Lancers hosted an evening discussion based on the documentary film, “Finding Kind.” The film follows 2 friends on their cross country journey to speak out against bullying and educate girls and women on the need for acceptance and respect. Students and parents from Kennedy Catholic and our Catholic feeder schools found the presentation and discussion empowering and hopeful.
Counselors in the Classroom
STAGES OF GRIEF
Sophomores in Mr. Ralston’s Morality class have been studying death and grief. Ms. Hutter, school counselor, presented a lesson on grief and loss. Students looked at various responses to grief as well as the stages of grief. Hopefully, the conversation has given the students important information as they encounter grief in their lives.
During the week of May 11-15, Ms. Hutter and Mrs. Montstream will be visiting the 9th grade religion classes to present a lesson on Stress and Anxiety Management.
SAT and ACT Preparation
Kennedy Catholic High School Resources List for SAT/ACT Prep – Updated 11/5/14
We do not endorse any one particular program; this is an informative resource of available options.
College Board Resources
1. Free Practice Questions
2. SAT Tutorials from Khan Academy.
3. SAT Study Guide with DVD $31.99
4. The Official SAT online Course - $69.99 https://store.collegeboard.org/sto/productdetail.do?track=satsite&Itemkey=040901252Princeton Review’s Services
5. Online, In-person, Private 1 on 1 Tutoring, Classroom sized groups and Semi Private Options http://www.princetonreview.com/ ($699- $6600)
Mighty Oaks Test Prep / Formerly Kristen Leeson Tutoring
1 on 1 Test Prep for ACT & SAT - $140 an hour
Mazor Test Prep Company – SAT Prep Only
Small Classes (10-12 Students) $595
Applerouth Testing Services
Private – Tutoring Online $2300 - $3100
Number 2 – Free Online Test Prep ACT & SAT
Sandwiss Test Prep – SAT Test Prep Classes - $395 - $575
C2 Education – Testing, and Tutoring options - $
- Please inform your counselors of your college acceptances and scholarships
- Community Colleges and some 4-year colleges are still accepting applications
- Continue seeking out scholarship opportunities
- See your counselor if you have any questions.
- Junior Meetings continue through May. Juniors need to make an appointment with their counselor to develop a college plan (parents are welcome to attend). Students need to be prepared to talk about post-high school goals, create an initial college list, make plans for the SAT and ACT testing, review Naviance, and develop a summer preparation plan. Counselors have a sign-up sheet outside their offices. Students must ask teachers permission to miss any class time.