Benninghoven Family Newsletter
May 17, 2021
Vision: A place where everyone pursues their greatness.
Mission: A community coming together for our kids.
Dates to Remember:
17: iPads no longer sent home for in-person learners
24: Remote Supply Collection (everything but iPads) 9:00-10:00 and 1:00- 2:00
25: Remote Supply Collection (everything but iPads) 9:00-10:00 and 1:00- 2:00
26: Last Day for PreK, SMNW Graduation 7PM @ SMN, Remote Supply Collection (everything but iPads) 9:00-10:00 and 1:00- 2:00
27: Last Day for kids, 6th Grade Celebration, remote iPad return 10:30- 12:00, early dismissal @ 12:30
28: remote iPad return 8:00- 11:00
31: Memorial Day- School Offices Closed
June 3rd School Offices close for summer.
Specials This Month
Follow us on Twitter @BHknights512
Find us using #uKnighted512 & #BHSticksTogether
From the Principal
As the end of the school year gets closer, there is lots going on at school! This week iPads will no longer come home with in person learners. Please make sure to send iPads and chargers to school with students this week so we can begin our check in process. As iPads are collected, we will also distribute yearbooks to classrooms. If you have not purchased a yearbook and wish to, we have limited quantities available in the office on a first come first serve basis. Remote learners, you will find details about supply and iPad collection in this week's newsletter. We also want to give families some advanced notice that lunch on the last day of school will be sack lunches. This is due to the early release day (we dismiss at 12:30), and the many celebrations that will be taking place throughout the day that day. Your child can bring a sack lunch from home or receive a school sack lunch.
Rather than counting down the days, we are making our last days of school count this year! It has been one we will all never forget, and we plan to finish strong and have fun making memories together the next two weeks!
On Site Procedures
We are happy to report that we have finished spring assessments for the year! If your child missed an assessment day with their class, we will work to make those up this week. Thanks to everyone for your assistance and patience throughout the spring assessment window.
Remote Supply Collection
May 24-26 Remote Supply Collection (Everything but iPads)
Families can come to the office to drop off supplies between 9:00 and 10:00AM and 1:00 and 2:00PM each day.
Families should bring all the items on the checklist shared by their teacher. Checklists will be shared this week.
We will have printed copies of checklists from each remote teacher in the office. When families bring in supplies, office staff will mark off all items included on the checklist. Parents and office staff will sign off on each checklist.
Remote iPad Collection
Families can drive through between 10:30AM and 12:00PM May 27 to drop off iPads, bricks, and cords.
Front parking spots by Door #12 will be roped off. Each remote teacher will have a parking spot for drop off.
A staff member will help direct traffic to the appropriate parking space. A Benninghoven staff member will serve as the 4th grade teacher during collection.
Teachers will collect iPad, brick, and cord from every student.
If you can’t make it to drop off between 10:30 and 12:00 on the 27th, you can come by the office to drop off between 8:00 and 11:00 on the 28th. A team will be available to assist you with check in in the office on this day.
Notice: 6th grade remote students in Mrs. Reynolds’ class are not included in this process due to 6th grade celebration and alternate collection plan.
Important Health Info for Reference
Summer Enrichment classes are for SMSD students currently in grades K-7 (2020-2021 school year). Additionally, for students meeting class age requirements, there is a pre-k class for early learners. All classes are designed to develop new interests and skills through participatory learning activities. Look for classes that indicate the grade level your child is currently in (2020-21 school year) and their interest level.
SMSD will serve Summer “Pick Up and Go Meals” for Children Starting June 3
Hunger does not take a vacation in the summer time. Free meals will be provided to all children ages 1 to 18 at four school sites in the Shawnee Mission School District. This includes breakfast and lunch meals. The meals are funded entirely by USDA as part of the Summer Meal Program.
- June 3 – July 29, 2021 (closed 7/5/21 for holiday)
- Pick up on Mondays & Thursdays
- Time of pick up: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Comanche Elementary, 8200 Grant St., Overland Park
- East Antioch Elementary, 7342 Lowell, Overland Park
- Rosehill Elementary, 9801 Rosehill, Lenexa
- Shawanoe Elementary,11230 W 75th St., Shawnee
Pick up & go meals include breakfast and lunch:
- Monday (3 days of meals) & Thursday (4 days of meals)
- Hot lunch entrée provided on day of pick up.
- No advance ordering needed.
Children must be present to receive meals. Contact Food Services for a voucher if special circumstances prevent a child from being present in the car at the time of pickup.
- Meals will be available for pick up outside the school front drive.
- Meals will be placed on a table for individual pick up.
- An adult accompanying children may pick up the meals for each child without all children needing to exit a vehicle.
- Please follow social distancing and wear a mask when coming to the table.
- Meals are prepared by District Food Services staff and distributed following food safety and sanitary practices.
- Meals are available to anyone ages 1-18. Children do not have to be students in the district.
SMSD will offer free, in-person lunch to students enrolled in the Summer Academy, Summer Enrichment and Extended School Year programs. Lunch is available only to students enrolled in these programs. The free lunches, funded entirely by USDA, will provide a hot entrée with choice of side dishes.
Menus and additional information available at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service/summer-meals. Menus are subject to change due to availability.
Contact the Food Services Department with any questions at 913-993-9710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
2021-2022 School Immunization Requirements
- Two doses required. Routinely given at 12 months with a minimum interval of 6 months between the 1st and 2nd dose.
- For the 2021-2022 school year, children Kindergarten through 5th grade are required to have the Hepatitis A series. If there is no history of vaccination, the child would need to have on dose of Hepatitis A at school entry followed by a second dose 6 months later.
Meningococcal-Serogroup A, C, W, Y
- Two doses required. Routinely given at entry to 7th grade (11-12 years) and 11th grade (16-18 years).
- For the 2021-2022 school year children entering 7th grade are required to have one dose of MenACWY at entry.
Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
- 1 dose required in grades 7-12. Routinely given at entry to 7th grade (11-12 years)
- For the 2021-2022 school year children entering 7th grade are required to have one dose of Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) regardless of the interval since the last dose of DTap or Td.
- DTap/DT (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)- 5 doses
- IPV (polio)- 4 doses***
- ***Three doses are acceptable if the 3rd dose was given after 4 years of age and there are at least 6 months between the second and third doses.
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)- 2 doses
- Varicella (chickenpox)- 2 doses*
- *Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine is not required if child has had chickenpox disease and disease is documented by a physician signature. Without a physician signature, vaccine is still required even if you believe your child has had chickenpox disease.
- Hepatitis A- 2 doses
- Hepatitis B- 3 doses
- DTap/DT (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis)- 4 doses
- IPV (polio)- 3 doses
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)- 1 dose
- Varicella (chickenpox)- 1 dose*
- * Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine is not required if child has had chickenpox disease and disease is documented by a physician signature. Without a physician signature, vaccine is still required even if you believe your child has had chickenpox disease.
- Hepatitis A- 2 doses
- Hepatitis B- 3 doses
- Hib (haemophilus influenza type B)- 4 doses
- Prevnar (pneumococcal conjugate)- 4 doses
Please reach out to the nurse if you are not sure your child is up to date on immunizations. Updated records may be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 913-993-1451.
COVID Vaccines for Children: Update
COVID Vaccines are now available for anyone age 12 and up. JCDHE has walk in vaccines available as well as appointments. You can find details of the location and times of walk in clinics/appointment sign ups at this link.
Children’s Mercy is also having vaccine clinics for those 12-22 years of age. These are appointment only. You can get details about scheduling an appointment and clinic dates and times at this link. https://www.childrensmercy.org/health-and-safety-resources/information-about-covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-at-childrens-mercy/
Las vacunas COVID ahora están disponibles para cualquier persona de 12 años en adelante. JCDHE tiene vacunas disponibles sin cita previa. Puede encontrar detalles de la ubicación y los horarios de las clínicas / registros de citas en este enlace. https://jocovaccine.rsvpify.com/
Children’s Mercy también tiene clínicas de vacunación para los de 12 a 22 años de edad. Estos son solo por cita. Puede obtener detalles sobre cómo programar una cita y las fechas y horas de la clínica en este enlace. https://www.childrensmercy.org/health-and-safety-resources/information-about-covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-at-childrens-mercy/
Library Book Collection
PTA News & Notes
Please visit our PTA website today, www.benninghovenpta.org, to stay up to date on all of the latest PTA info! You will also find links and information on the following:
- Joining PTA – It’s never been easier! Memberships are just $9 and you can join online through Memberhub.
- Staff Appreciation – Help us show our faculty and staff how much we appreciate them! This year in lieu of food items we are collecting monetary donations for staff appreciation activities.
- Volunteer Opportunities – We are always looking for volunteers and couldn’t do what we do without your support! Check out our Committee sign ups and let us know where you can help.
2020 Spiritwear is here with hundreds of apparel choices and over a dozen NEW Benninghoven Knights designs to choose from! Order direct any time throughout the year and orders will be processed as they're received and shipped straight to your home. There will be a different promotion offered each month. Shipping is always free on orders of $50+! Info is posted on the PTA website, or click the link here to go straight to our online spiritwear shop.