SHS Back-to-School Newsletter
August 2021 Community Update
- August 25 - Sophomore/New Student Kick-off and Freshman Orientation
-If any student is unable to attend orientation, he/she may attend the guided tour of the building on Monday, August 30th from 2 pm - 3 pm
- September 27 - SHS Back-to-School Night
I hope that this letter finds all of you well, and that your summer has been relaxing and enjoyable. We have been busy during the summer months preparing for the new school year and providing for everyone's return. We are excited to welcome our students and staff back for the start of the 2021-2022 school year.
Our plans are to move forward with full-day in-person instruction for our students. The first day of school for students will be September 1, 2021. Per state mandate, all students and staff will be required to wear masks when inside the school building. Guidance from state and local officials is constantly changing, and we will continue to monitor and adjust as necessary in order to support the health, safety, and academic experience of our SHS students.
We will provide you with information through various mediums. We also encourage you to make the most of the information on our SHS Website and in our SHS Student Handbook. You also will be able to get relevant, up-to-date communication regarding all of the happenings on our SHS social media accounts. Our social media accounts can be accessed below:
Facebook: Sparta High School - NJ
First Day of School
- Student drop off is in the front of the school building. Doors will open at 6:45. Busses will drop off students at the cafeteria entrance. Upon arrival to school, students should report to the following locations:
Freshmen/Sophomores - Main Gym
Juniors/Seniors - Cafeteria
The MRC will be open to students at 6:45 am.
- We will have teachers, student leaders, and administrators present and available in the hallways and throughout the day to assist our students as they transition back for this school year. We are aware that these unprecendented times require extra supports, and our staff is ready to assist to ensure the comfort and success of our students.
- Students will follow a Day 1 class schedule on the first day of school, meeting with class periods 1-8.
Schedule and Logistics
- Since our students enjoyed the opportunity to utilize the outside space during the unit lunch period, we will continue to allow them to meet on the back field during lunch when weather permits. In addition, we will utilize the lunch period to offer our students Academic Assistance, Science labs, club meeting time, and guidance appointment opportunities.
- Seating at each lunch table will be limited to a specific number of students to allow for social distancing.
- Seniors whose parents signed off on Open Campus forms in the Genesis Parent Portal will be permitted to sign out through the Attendance office for the duration of the lunch period. Any senior with a Study Hall before or after lunch may also sign out through Attendance at the start or end of the Study Hall class if parents have signed off on Senior Privilege forms in the portal.
- Any parents who are dropping off or picking up students should do so at the front entrance of the school building.
- Daily attendance will be taken during homeroom. Parents will receive a phone call if students are not present for school.
- Teachers will take class attendance every period. Attendance for each period will be recorded in Genesis.
- Our SHS attendance policy is outlined in our SHS Student Code of Conduct which can be found on the Sparta High School website.
Social Emotional Supports:
- Social Emotional Learning will be a focus as we transition back into learning through the ALIGN program and other resources. School counselors will be available to students throughout each school day and during Academic Assistance hours.
- Our licensed staff is here to assist students in achieving their health and wellness goals, enabling students to make lifestyle choices that help them achieve optimal physical, emotional and behavioral well-being. Please visit our Align Wellness Program website for additional information.