Fulton Science Academy
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP GIFTED SCHOOL
Week of June 17, 2019
Dear Students, Faculty, and Parents,
I hope you are all continuing to have a fantastic summer! We had a great end to our week last week when we hosted our Campus Expansion Ground Breaking Ceremony! It was wonderful to get together with our partners and community members and step into this new phase of our school's history. Special thanks to Manhattan Construction Group, Make3 architecture/planning/design, Alpharetta Chamber of Commerce, City of Alpharetta GA, Alpharetta Technology Commission Innovation Center, and Fulton Science Academy Mustang Support Organization for their contributions to our groundbreaking ceremony.
I'm excited to say that we will be opening another 5th grade class for the 2019 - 2020 school year! If you are interested in having your child join the 5th grade at FSA, please read the detailed information below! We also have few spaces available in Kindergarten, 1st Grade, 7th Grade, 8th Grade, and high school grade levels. Please know that PreK, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade are full and have moved to waitlists.
We have a lot of new information in this 2nd summer newsletter, so be sure to read through and don't miss a thing!
2019 Summer Hours
To establish an educational framework designed to achieve the highest academic results and instill enduring strength of character by leveraging innovation and STEAM curriculums for college preparedness and lifelong student success.
Fulton Science Academy Private School envisions to be a nationally ranked and recognized school for pre-K through 12th grade, serving advanced and gifted student populations committed to academic success, civic responsibility, global citizenship, and high ethical values within a safe environment that celebrates diversity and is nurtured by the collaborative efforts of its stakeholders and the broader community.
With Warmest Regards,
What's in this Issue?
- Fulton Science Academy Holds Campus Expansion Groundbreaking Ceremony
- Great News! FSA is opening an other 5th grade class!
- FSA's Middle School Academic Bowl and History Bowl Team Compete at the National Championships in Chicago
- FSA will be hosting our 2nd Annual Sports Physical Day on July 30th!
- Volleyball, Cross Country, Soccer, & Tennis UPDATES from the Athletic Department!
- Summer Class Work for Rising K - 12th Grade Students
- 2019 - 2020 School Supplies Lists
- 2019 - 2020 Orientation Day; Friday August 2nd
- Academic Teams Meeting Before the 2019 - 2020 School year (Saturday, August 3rd)
- Make Sure you get Your Uniform! (detailed information further below)
- AND MORE
quote of the week
Fulton Science Academy Holds Campus Expansion Groundbreaking Ceremony
We would like to thank everyone that came out to our Campus Expansion Ground Breaking Ceremony on Thursday June 13th! Our school has had quite the journey over the years and we are beyond excited to begin this new phase in our school's history. Thank you to not only our staff and faculty that attended the event, but to all of the various community members who came to our school to spend an afternoon with us. We are so thankful for all of the support and encouragement that we receive from our Board and community members. Without your unwavering support and encouragement we would not be where we are today. We look forward to the continued partnerships that have been cultivated throughout our school's history and beyond!
With this second phase of our master plan expansion, we are adding:
High School Science Labs
High School Hangout Area
Special thanks to Manhattan Construction Group, Make3 architecture/planning/design, Alpharetta Chamber of Commerce, City of Alpharetta GA, Alpharetta Technology Commission Innovation Center , and Fulton Science Academy Mustang Support Organization for their contributions to our groundbreaking ceremony.
Great News! FSA is opening an other 5th grade class!
The Fulton Science Academy administration met Monday, June 17th and decided to open an additional 5th grade class. If you are interested in the 2019-2020 5th grade class please log in to our admissions website at https://fultonscienceacademy.myschoolapp.com/app/#login If you have received a login in the past, and you do not remember your log in information, just use the 1st time logging in prompt. When using the prompt, please use the email you used when completing the inquiry or application form.
We have added several MAP testing days specifically for families interested in this new 5th grade class.
- Thursday, June 20 at 10:00 am
- Monday, June 24 at 10:00 am
- Monday, July 1 at 8:00 am
- Monday, July 8th at 8:30 am
- Thursday, July 11 at 8:00 am.
Please make sure to schedule your test using the myschoolapp website posted above.
There is a $100 application fee due when you child comes in for MAP testing. This is a one time fee that covers both testing and any retesting needed.
In addition to the MAP score, please bring grade reports, an additional outside test score such as IOWA/ITBS, Stanford 10, GAMilestones, ERB, Star, etc. and teacher recommendations. These can be up loaded into the admissions portal or emailed directly to Admissions Director Pam Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can contact Admissions Director Pam Walsh with any other questions at email@example.com
FSA's Middle School Academic Bowl and History Bowl Team Compete at the National Championships in Chicago
Seventh graders Weston B., Richard K., Khalil L., and Peter S. competed in Chicago at the National History Bowl and Academic Bowl National Championships on June 7-10, 2019. They placed 24th in the nation in the Academic Bowl and beat nine other nationally ranked teams in the History Bowl.
These students put forth a tremendous effort, considering they decided to enter the competition only a few months ago and faced teams composed of mostly eighth graders who have been competing for the last three to five years.
Khalil L said of the experience, "The dream of a national championship is on the horizon for next year. I know we have to study hard; So let's go!"
Peter S. was the student least likely to answer a Michael Jordan related question correctly since he moved to this country a few years ago. All the other players sat dumbfounded at the obscure clues until the reader said "basketball player." Peter buzzed in with his cat-like reflexes with the winning answer and then declared, "Michael Jordan is the only basketball player I know."
These students had a great time competing and visiting the Field Museum. They should feel extremely proud! Way to go!
FSA will be hosting our 2nd Annual Sports Physical Day on July 30th!
FSA will be hosting our 2nd Annual Sports Physical Day. Each Athlete wanting to participate in sports this year, must have a Sports Physical on file with the Athletics Department. Sports Physicals only last one year and should be done yearly.
Volleyball, Cross Country, Soccer, & Tennis UPDATES from the Athletic Department!
Middle School and Varsity Volleyball tryouts will be held July 22nd 4:30-6pm. Our program continues to have open gym every Wednesday for grades 5th-12th.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Coach Oueslati will be hosting a paid soccer training on Fridays 4:30-5:30 and Saturday mornings. For more information, please contact Coach Oueslati at email@example.com
FSA SCIENCE OLYMPIAD TEAM PLACES 24TH IN THE NATION!
The Fulton Science Academy Science Olympiad Team spent the weekend of June 1 at the National Science Olympiad Tournament hosted by Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. The team chartered a bus to bring team members, coaches, parents, and event supplies to the tournament, leaving on Wednesday evening, driving through the night and arriving on Thursday afternoon. Attendees got a taste of what it is like to attend Cornell as they stayed in a dormitory and ate at the campus dining hall. Students spent Friday exploring campus to find the locations of their events, participating in trial events, attending a STEM Expo, and making final preparations for Saturday’s tournament. Friday evening, students attended Opening Ceremonies with team captains Nicole, Ezra, Ashi, and Shivam representing Georgia in the Parade of States. The keynote speaker was Grant Imahara from the Mythbusters TV show.
Saturday began with a 5:30 AM breakfast in the dining hall, a trek across campus to carry event supplies from the dorm to our home base, and events beginning at 7:00 AM and lasting until 3:00 PM. The Awards Ceremony took place in the evening, and while FSA students did not win any medals, the team placed 24th among the 60 teams that qualified for the tournament and bested rival Dodgen Middle School from Marietta by 85 points.
On Sunday, attendees loaded the bus and began the trip home, stopping to tour the Luray Caverns in Virginia along the way.
“Our team really enjoyed this trip,” said head coach Pam Walsh. “The National tournament is a unique experience. The level of difficulty is much greater than any other tournament and the competition is fierce. Our students really enjoyed the challenging tests.”
Head Coach Gloria Stathos said, “We’re really looking forward to next year. Fifteen of our 22 National team members will be returning to FSA to compete either on our high school or middle school teams. Competing at Nationals really motivates students and with seven of our team members being sixth graders, this should help our team for years to come.”
The following students placed in the top 20 at the tournament:
Heredity – coached by Ms. Oliver
- 9th Place – Ashi and Shivam
Parasitology – coached by Mrs. Nori
- 10th Place – Varsha and Navya
Herpetology – coached by Mrs. Butler
- 11th Place – Nicole and Ezra
Potions and Poisons – coached by Mr. Nash
- 11th Place – Ezra and Tejaz
Density Lab – coached by Mr. Ackaramongkolrotn
- 14th Place – Nick and Tejaz
Circuit Lab – coached by Mr. Ackaramongkolrotn
- 16th Place – Nick and Nina
Meteorlogy – coached by Mrs. Limpanetevin
- 17th Place – Nick and Alex
Solar System – coached by Mrs. Walsh
- 18th Place – Nick and Gann
Water Quality – coached by Mrs. Butler
- 19th Place – Nicole and Tejaz
Anatomy and Physiology – coached by Mrs. Fernandez
- 20th Place – Ashi and Shivam
Roller Coaster – coached by Mr. Ackaramongkolrotn
- 20th Place – Nick and Nina
FULTON SCIENCE ACADEMY IS HONORED TO PRESENT THE INAUGURAL GRADUATING CLASS OF 2019
Summer Class Work for Rising K - 12th Grade Students
CLICK THE PICTURE BELOW TO ACCESS RISING K - 12 SUMMER WORK ON THE FSA WEBSITE
CHOOSE AN ASSIGNMENT PLACED BELOW THE PICTURE
Listed below is the summer reading and assignments for rising Kindergarten through 12th grade. Please note that 6th – 12th grade work is required and will be discussed during the first week of classes of the 2019 – 2020 Academic School Year.
Please print the appropriate rising assignment and be sure to complete it over your summer vacation.
- ELEMENTARY SUMMER WORK (K – 5):
- LANGUAGE ARTS SUMMER WORK:
- Rising 6th Grade Language Arts Summer Assignment 2019
- Rising 7th Grade Summer Reading ’19
- Rising 8th Grade Summer Assignment Sheet 2019
- Rising 9th Grade Language Arts Summer Assignment 2019
- Rising 10th Grade Summer Assignment 2019
- Rising 11th Grade – American Literature – Honors Summer Reading and Assignment 2019
- Rising 12th Grade British Lit Summer Assignment 2019
- AP Lang Summer Reading 2019
- AP Literature Summer Reading and Assignment
- AP Seminar Summer Assignment 2019
- SCIENCE SUMMER WORK:
- AP PSYCHOLOGY SUMMER WORK:
- AP ECONOMICS SUMMER WORK:
- AP COMPUTER SCIENCE SUMMER WORK
- SOCIAL STUDIES SUMMER WORK
- AP HUMAN GEOGRAPHY
- AP U.S. HISTORY
- AP MODERN WORLD HISTORY
- AP World History RODGERS 2019 Summer Assignment
- AP MODERN WORLD Guiding Questions Chapter 6
- AP MODERN WORLD Guiding Questions Chapter 8
- AP MODERN WORLD Guiding Questions Chapter 9
- AP MODERN WORLD Guiding Questions Chapter 10
- Chapter 6 Commonalities and Variations in Africa, the Americas and Pacific Oceania
- Chapter 8 China and the World
- Chapter 9 The Worlds of Islam
- Chapter 10 The Worlds of Christendom
- MATH SUMMER WORK
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE SUMMER WORK:
2019 - 2020 Instrument Selection Date
NEW STUDENTS BAND & ORCHESTRA PROGRAM INSTRUMENT SELECTION WITH KEN STANTON - DATE TBD
Dear Parents of New Students in 5th Grade through 8th Grade,
We hope that you continue to have a great summer holiday.
At FSA, all students take either band or orchestra starting at 5th grade. If you need help with selecting your instrument for either band or orchestra program, you will be able to meet with a representative from Ken Stanton at Instrument Selection Day (Date TBD)
We would like to clarify a few more things for you about our music program.
* If you have already made your selection of either band or orchestra and if you already know your instrument, then you do not need to come.
* If you need help with instrument selection but you cannot come on the TBD Instrument Selection Date, then please work with Ken Stanton or any other music company directly. On the Ken Stanton website there is a specific link for Fulton Science Academy. They will be able to help you with instrument selection. https://www.kenstanton.com/
* If your child is already playing another instrument which is not listed in our e-mail below and you do not want your child to change the instrument, that won't be a problem. We will accommodate you in our classes. We will not require students to begin a second instrument unless they are willing to. Playing one instrument is good enough for our student's college application.
* Band and Orchestra Classes will offered as follows:
- One Hour Band or Orchestra Class During the Week as part of Specials of Art, Computer, Music, Physical Education and PLTW.
- An Optional Zero Period Band and Orchestra During the Week Times TBD. Zero period will begin after labor day.
* We will also offer band, orchestra, chorus and some other music clubs as after school clubs for those interested.
* Private music classes will still be available at our school. Detailed information about private music classes will be shared soon.
If you have any other questions, please contact Mrs. Otim at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 - 2020 School Supplies Lists
Once again, FSA families are asked to please purchase school supplies. Supplies can be purchased using an online service (i.e. Amazon), or from any local store. FSA is not contracted with any specific school supply company at this time. Please purchase supplies from whichever store you prefer.
Families are asked to please bring all school supplies (personal and classroom contributions) to their homeroom classes during the orientation day on August 2nd.
CLICK THE PICTURE BELOW TO ACCESS SCHOOL SUPPLIES LISTS ON THE FSA WEBSITE
CHOOSE A GRADE LIST PLACED BELOW THE PICTURE
2019 - 2020 Carpool List
2019 - 2020 Orientation Day; Friday August 2nd
FRIDAY AUGUST 2ND
PreK - 2nd Grade: 9:00am - 10:15am
3rd - 5th Grade: 11:00am - 12:15pm
6th - 8th Grade: 1:15pm - 2:30pm
9th - 12th Grade: 3:15pm - 4:30pm
Academic Teams Meeting Before the 2019 - 2020 School year (Saturday, August 3rd)
PLEASE NOTE THAT TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
- 8:30 am - Destination Imagination
- 9:00 am - Science Olympiad Middle&High
- 9:45 am- Science Olympiad Elementary
- 10:30 am - Robotics
- 11:30 am Math Olympiad
- 12:15 pm - Future City
- 12:45 pm - Model UN
- 1:15 pm - Tech Fair
Important Beginning Dates for the 2019 - 2020 School Year
Class Placements for 2019 - 2020 School Year
We would like to inform you that the class placements for 2019 - 2020 school year will be sent out towards the middle of July. Once you receive them, please go over them carefully and let Mr. Turan know if you have any questions. His e-mail address is email@example.com
We want to make sure that we have the schedules fully finalized and ready before the school year starts. Your final class schedules, including teacher names and classroom assignments, will be given to you during the orientation day on Friday, August 2nd.
IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIREMENTS FOR INCOMMING 7TH GRADERS & KINDERGARTEN:
A Message From Nurse Amy
This is to remind you of the importance of getting your son or daughter vaccinated before they go back to school this fall. Vaccines are the best way you can protect your child from a number of serious diseases, including meningococcal disease, and cancers caused by HPV, and whooping cough.
As you are making your back-to-school checklist for your preteen, I encourage you to make sure your sons and daughters get all the vaccines that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends for them at ages 11 and 12. Schedule an appointment today for your child to receive all of the vaccines they need for the best protection. CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), and the National Association for School Nurses all agree that your preteen needs the following vaccines:
Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY) protects against some of the bacteria that cause meningococcal disease and meningitis. While not very common, these are very serious illnesses and death can occur in as little as 48 hours. Your child will need a booster shot at age 16 to continue providing protection into the late teens/early 20’s.
HPV vaccine protects against the infections that can cause HPV cancer. HPV infection is very common and causes more than 31,000 cases of cancer each year in the Unites States; that’s one case of cancer diagnosed every 17 minutes. Both boys and girls should complete the HPV vaccine series before age 13. Preteens need two doses of HPV vaccine, given six to twelve months apart. If you wait, your child may need three doses over six months.
One dose of Tdap vaccine as a booster is for continued protection against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough). This vaccine keeps preteens healthy and prevents spread of pertussis to babies who are too young to be protected by vaccination.
Preteens and teens should also get the flu vaccine every year, ideally by the end of October if possible.
The State of Georgia requires the Meningococcal (MCV4), and a Tdap (booster) vaccines be done for school entry; to learn more about state immunization requirements, go to: www.immunize.org/laws.
To learn more about adolescent vaccines, please visit CDC’s website for parents about vaccines for children at www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents, or you can visit www.middleschoolhealth.org for the Middle School Health Starts Here website.
Make Sure you get Your Uniform!
To see Lands' End Uniform Items for Fulton Science Academy, Follow these steps:
- Go to www.landsend.com
- Hover over "School" on the Top Menu Bar to bring down the Drop Down Menu
- Click "Find Your School" in the Top Left Corner of the Drop Down Menu
- Then Search by our School's Number (900127465) OR address in the Fields Provided
- From there, follow the prompts to select the approved uniform items for your student's grade level.
Yearbook Picture Day will be August 28th! Save the Date! More Information to Come!
2019 Summer Camps at Fulton Science Academy
KIDS4CODING SUMMER CAMP
Please use the links below to see different class offerings, pricing information, and registration:
1/2 Day Offerings at FSA
Full Day Offerings at FSA
June 3 – June 7
June 10 – June 14
June 17 – June 21
June 24 – June 28
July 8 – July 12
SHAPING MINDS SUMMER CAMP
If you are searching for an awesome Summer Camp for kids in the Metro Atlanta, GA area, then you have come to the right place! Our summer camp is perfect for active kids who love to have fun participating in exciting sports activities!
May 27 – May 31
June 3 – June 7
June 10 – June 14
June 17 – June 21
June 24 – June 28
July 1 – July 5
July 8 – July 12
Register using the Link Below:
BIOIGNITE SUMMER CAMP
The BioIgnite Design Summer Camp teaches about exciting BioSTEM topics such asBiomedical Imaging, NeuroEngineering, Biomechanics, and Regenerative Medicine. An afternoon design studio teaches students all about the engineering design process and takes them through designing their own prosthetic prototype.
June 24 – June 28
For Pricing and Registration, Please click this link:
FSA Sideline Store
The site allows the user to select the item, color, logo, and team whether it be academic or athletic; even different sayings! The possibilities are endless! There is everything from cotton shirts to Dri-Fit Nike or UA workout shirts and so much more!
CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR SIDELINE STORE
FSAPS Tuition Information: http://fultonscienceacademy.org/tuition-information/
Smart Tuition is the tuition management system used by FSA. In addition to tuition, all incidental billing such as aftercare fees, sports and academic team fees, trips, etc., is also done through Smart Tuition. There is a $50 yearly fee for Smart Tuition.
If you have not set up your account or are having trouble setting up your account, please contact our Business Administrator Abdurrahim Kurt by phone or email.
Phone: (678) 366 - 2555 ext. 105
Home Visits; A Great Activity for Your Student, No Matter Their Grade Level!
Here is some feedback from our parents:
- “Early in the school year, a group of teachers took the time to come to our home to meet us and discuss the school program with us. That event brought us back to the time in which schooling was a true partnership between parent and teacher and reaffirmed in our minds that FSA truly cares about the development of our children”
- “We even had two teachers visit us at our home. They were a pleasure to meet and we could clearly see how much they enjoy teaching students.”
- “Thank you very much for your visit and the chocolates yesterday. We enjoyed having you over very much. I also want to thank you for turning math from the most complicated and somewhat scary subject into one of our most favorites.”
- “We all enjoyed your visit last night to our home. It was such a pleasure to informally get to know both of you. My son thought it was really cool that two teachers came to his house. He talked about it the whole way to school this morning in carpool. Personally, I admire the dedication you both have for your jobs. It makes a big difference in a student’s attitude toward school. Your visit left no doubt in my mind that FSA was the right decision for my son.”
- “I just wanted to write on behalf of my husband and I and thank you for visiting our child. He loved having you both come and visit. We appreciate the level of caring and attention that you have consistently shown our family. It is rare to see such a dedication from teachers for their jobs. We can tell that you love teaching and you care for our children. Thank you for visiting our child when he was not feeling well.”
How can I schedule a home visit?
To schedule an elementary school home visit: Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with some suggested dates/times, as well as your students' name(s) and homeroom assignments. Ms. Unal will be in touch to confirm final details.
To schedule a middle or high school school home visit: Simply email email@example.com with some suggested dates/times, as well as your students' name(s) and homeroom assignments. Mr. Duman will be in touch to confirm final details.
Depending on our teacher’s availability, at least two teachers will be together to visit our students and parents at their homes. The best times to schedule a home visit are weekdays after 5:00 pm, and anytime during the weekends, except Sunday mornings. For any questions you have about this program, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
FSAConnect mobile App
We are happy to inform you that now you can check fsaconnect by mobile app.
Here is how you can access the app:
ITunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radix-mobile/id1159005166?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radix.radixmobile
The links can also be found at the bottom of your connect page by the other social media links.
A pop-up banner will appear on top of the screen when users access the school connect on their mobile devices.
Site link: https://fsaconnect.fultonscienceacademy.org
Username: fsaconnect username
Password: fsaconnect password
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR REMIND, OUR SCHOOL NOTIFICATION APPlication
JOIN FSAPS REMIND HERE: https://www.remind.com/join/fsaps
We have created a remind account to keep our community informed and up-to-date with what is happening at our school.
By joining "FSAPS remind," you will receive messages via push notifications, SMS, or e-mail. We recommend SMS option for our families and students.
We will use this tool as an addition to other communication portals we use at our school to keep our families apprised of what's happening at Fulton Science Academy. Thank you.
FSA SOCIAL MEDIA
Please connect with us online and grow our social media following!
FSA is proud to be building a strong social media presence and we encourage you to follow us using one or more of the following links:
4- FSA LINKEDIN
So many of you have LinkedIn accounts. To get news about our school on LinkedIn, simply follow our schools’s LinkedIn page.