Bill to Law
Bill becomes a Law
- Someone has an idea. common people, the president, or congress
- bill introduced to congress or all tax bills start in the house of reps
- bill given a title and number
- sent to standing committee
- Congressional members where the bill is introduced debate
- Voting in Congress
a Bit more explained
Standing committee - mark the bill with changes and suggestions so it can be passed. Pigeonholing the bill. kill the bill with majority vote.
Bill is debated - Talking a bill to death is called a Filibuster.
Filibuster can end if 3/5 of members vote for cloture. no one may speak for more than an hour.
Voting in Congress - House and Senate must pass the same identical bill. if not they must compromise in joint committeePresident - the President has the choice to veto the law or sign it so may become a law.
if law is vetoed - congress can override the veto by re-voting on the bill. if there is a 2/3 vote the bill becomes a law.