June 6th | Celebrating 21 years of Learning & Growing
Have a Great Summer Navigators!
- Read! - Check out our summer reading suggestions.
- Submit your Proof of Residency
- Make sure your immunizations are up to date. (see below)
- Purchase school supplies.
- Visit the RSES library during summer hours.
- Send a postcard to friends and family.
- Mark your August calendar:
15th: Kindergarten Orientation, 2:00 - 3:00pm
15th: New Student Orientation for grades 1-5, 3:15 - 4:00pm
15th: Back to School Bash for grades 1-5, 4:00 -6:00pm
21th: First Day for Students
*The RSES summer office hours are Monday-Thursday 7:00am-5:00pm*
Reading Rocks this Summer at RSES
Have fun reading this summer! When school starts back in August, bring your reading log or medal to the RSES library. You will get a special treat for having read over the summer! Students may participate in either the public library program or keep their own reading log.
Visit the RSES library for check out and story time on the following days:
June 19th, 10:00 - 11:30am
June 26th, 10:00 - 11:30am
July 10th, 10:00 - 11:30am
July 17th, 10:00 - 11:30am
July 24th, 10:00 - 11:30am
July 31st, 10:00 - 11:30am
- Summer Reading Suggestions
- Lexington County Library - Register for summer reading at your local branch or online. Log your reading and activities to earn points. Collect your prizes at your local branch every time you complete a level. Make sure to also stop by Chapin Branch Library on Tuesdays @ 2:00 for fun programs for kids. View the Calendar of Events.
- Richland County Library - Summer Learning Challenge.
- Scholastic Challenge - The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is a free online reading program for children. Log your reading minutes to unlock stories and earn rewards. Help set a new reading world record!
On Instagram? Follow the library mascots, Gertie and George (@gertiegeorgeread), on their reading journeys. Gertie and George will post reading adventures throughout the summer and will be ready for school in the fall.
School District Summer Feed Program
Lexington-Richland School District 5 is participating in the Summer Food Service Program again this year.
This program will begin on June 10th and end on August 1st. Meals will not be offered on Fridays or the week of July 1st. All children ages two through eighteen are eligible for this service and do not have to be a student of Lexington/Richland School District 5. Meals will be provided at no charge on a a first come, first serve basis.
Location : Dutch Fork High School
Hours: 10:30am-1:00pm (Monday through Thursday)
Dates: June 10th - August 1st (closed the week of July 1-5)
New Immunization for 2019-20 School Year
In accordance with SC DHEC Law, all K5 students are REQUIRED to have 2 doses of Varicella vaccine (Chickenpox vaccine) before attending the first day of school on August 21st, 2019. It is very important that immunizations are up-to-date, so your child is not excluded from school. South Carolina School & Day Care requirements are the legal minimum requirements for a child to attend school and/or daycare.
Changes for the 2019-2020 School Year:
- 5th grade has been added to the requirement for 2 doses of Varicella.
- 7th grade has been added to the requirement for three (3) doses of oral and/or inactivated polio vaccine with at least one (1) dose received on or after the fourth birthday.
Changes for the 2020-2021 School Year:
- Effective July 1st, 2020, a new Hepatitis A vaccine requirement for childcare will begin July 1, 2020, and will begin for 5K with the 2020-2021 school year.
Please discuss this with your healthcare provider. Please make sure that your doctor’s office DOES NOT place an expiration date in the left hand corner of the SC Immunization certificate. If a date is present, the certificate will not be valid for school.
During the summer and at the child’s wellness check-up, ask the doctor to give you a new certificate when your child receives additional vaccines and always provide a copy to the school nurse.
Five year old kindergarten students must have certificates on file showing 4 year old vaccines. If your child will be in 5 year old kindergarten next school year, it is especially important that immunization requirements are met. You may provide a copy of your child’s immunization certificate to the school during or the doctor’s office can fax it to the school. The school’s FAX number is: (803) 476-4420.
We appreciate your continuing efforts to protect SC children from vaccine-preventable diseases. Vist SC DHEC for more information or call 898-0460.
-Nurse Filly, RN, School Nurse.
Required Tdap Vaccination
We are reminding you now so that you have time to plan for your child to be vaccinated early, before the start of 7th grade.
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) wants to assure that all children and teens receive recommended vaccines to prevent disease. DHEC reminds parents and guardians that South Carolina law requires that all students entering 7th grade receive one (1) dose of Tdap vaccine.
It is important to know that there are three other vaccines that all preteens and teens are recommended to receive: human papilloma virus (HPV) vaccine, a cancer prevention vaccine, meningococcal vaccine (MenACWY) that prevents some types of meningitis, and the yearly flu vaccine.
Your local DHEC health department also can provide these vaccines. Call 1-855-472-3432 to make an appointment. For more information about vaccinations in South Carolina, go to scdhec.gov/Health/Vaccinations/
Proof of Residency now being accepted for 2019-20 School Year
We are now accepting proof of residency for the 2019-20120 school year. Please bring them to the school office, email them to email@example.com or fax to 803-476-4420. This must be done annually.
THREE (3) Proofs of Residency are required in order for your child to attend Lexington/Richland School District Five (LRSD5). Proof of residency will be done yearly for all students. All documentation presented must show the CURRENT MONTH’S DATE and the PROPERTY OWNER’S NAME or the PARENT/GUARDIAN’S NAME.
Acceptable documentation include: (One Required)
- Property Tax Bill for the permanent residence
- Rental Lease (complete copy, listing all occupants
- Real Estate Closing Documents (where applicable)
Additional documents include: (Two Required)
- Vehicle Tax Registration
- Voter Registration Card
- Electric Bill
- Water Bill
- Telephone Bill
- Cable/Satellite Bill
A driver’s license will be required from the property owner and parent or legal guardian for identification purposes only. IDs cannot be accepted as documentation for address verification.
FAMILIES THAT HAVE RECENTLY MOVED:
- If you have recently moved and are unable to provide the two additional required documents listed above, you must, to a minimum provide a Rental Lease or Real Estate Closing Document.
- You will then be given 45 days from enrollment to provide the remaining documents as required. If the family has resided in the home for more than 45 days, proof should be provided immediately.
AFFIDAVITS ARE FOR FAMILIES LIVING WITH ANOTHER FAMILY:
- The person that owns or rents the property in which you are residing must complete a Residency Affidavit Form (which LRSD5 will provide) notarized, attesting to the fact that you and your family are currently residing with the legal resident.
- The person that owns or rents the property must provide THREE acceptable pieces of documentation from the above list, which verifies their connection to THE PROPERTY.
- You, as the parent or legal guardian, must also get a Residency Affidavit Form (which LRSD5 will provide) notarized, attesting to the fact that all current documentation for address verification presented is true and accurate.
- Within 45 days of enrollment, you, as the parent or legal guardian, will be required to provide two documents of mail in your name that show the address of the person with whom your family resides. Junk mail is not acceptable.
Acceptable documents are:
1) paycheck stub 2) W-2 statement 3) car insurance 4) bank statement 5) state supported services 6) voter’s registration card 7) vehicle tax registration.