This Week in LVUSD
Week of November 26, 2018
After 12 days with 200 dedicated professionals working 24/7, for a total of 25,000 hours, we are excited to welcome students and staff back to school on Monday, November 26. During the past week, we have worked with principals, teachers, counselors, local mental health professionals, and staff to develop flexible reintegration plans for the coming weeks to help those who have experienced trauma. We have developed professional development options for our staff related to trauma-informed teaching and we will also have additional counseling resources available.
In case you missed it, below are two important broadcasts from this past week. The first is Dr. Dan Stepenosky's Community Briefing which describes the scope of the cleaning and repair efforts. The second involves LVUSD Community 360 members Melissa Gillespie and Mona White who provide a counselor's perspective on trauma, the impact of trauma on students and families, and tools/strategies you can utilize and share with your loved ones in the coming weeks.
Welcome back! We look forward to seeing all of our students, staff, and families at school again.
Trauma Overview with Mona White and Melissa Gillespie
Fire and Trauma Resources
Throughout the coming weeks, we’ll continue to update this page with support resources.
Woolsey Fire Donations
Our community has come together to raise close to $70,000 in addition to gift cards and other supplies for those impacted by the Woolsey fire. If interested in contributing to this ongoing fundraising effort, know that you can contribute in three ways:
- You can give money through the following link via the Las Virgenes Fire Relief Fund via http://www.thefoundationlvs.org/help-fire-victims
- Drop off your physical items at: 28631 Canwood Street, Suite A; Agoura Hills, CA 91310
- You can offer gift cards (Target, Home Depot, Grocery Stores, etc). Please drop off or mail to LVUSD District Office starting Monday, November 19th: 4111 N. Las Virgenes Road; Calabasas, CA 91302
We remain tremendously grateful for your generosity!
Community 360 Podcast: Navigating Trauma
- What is trauma? How does it impact the brain and body?
- What should parents be on the lookout for in the next weeks and months?
- What are some proactive measures/strategies that families can engage in to heal from the events of the past week?
- How can I talk to my children about the fire and Borderline Tragedy? What resources do you recommend?