Mrs. Asher's First Grade News
Week of January 25, 2016
people, take, than, these, way, were
* We worked on making mental images as we read. Students learned that if they make a movie in their head of what the text is saying it will improve their comprehension. At home when your child reads or you read to your child, especially if it is a book without many pictures, stop and share what you pictured in your head and ask your child what they pictured.
* We also worked on using our storyteller voices when we read fiction texts. Students learned to think about character's feelings to help them develop their storyteller voices. By thinking about character's feelings and using a storyteller voice students are not only helping their fluency but they are also helping their comprehension.
* When reading nonfiction books students learned to use a reporter voice that sounds like it is dishing out the facts.
- Don't forget our student led conferences are next week. Your child is so excited to share how they have grown! Please be on time because there will be other families with the same time slot and we won't be able to start the rotations until all of the families have arrived.
- We have a classroom wish list on Amazon.com. Just search for the wish list using my email address: email@example.com
- This is our class website full of valuable information and educational websites your child can access at home. http://mrsashersclass.weebly.com
If you have any questions please feel free to write a note or send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org