an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Early Learning Toys and Games Available for Checkout
A celebration of the arts for toddlers and preschoolers! Symphonic Storytime is a weekly video series that pairs a picture book with an orchestral piece. Following the story, stay tuned for the encore and listening guide!
The Symphonic Storytime playlist can be found on the library's YouTube channel.
Mother Goose On the Loose: Sessions Added!
**Local shutdowns may affect our event calendar. All registered participants will be contacted regarding any changes.***
We are now offering MGOL sessions Wednesdays AND Fridays! Please note that registration is required and is limited to 5 adults with 1 to 2 children each. If you or a family member is sick or high risk, please refrain from participating.
Each family group will have a designated space and will be encouraged to stay together in that space. Adults, please wear a face covering. Children under the age of 5 are exempt from mask requirements.
If you can't make it in person, don't forget about our 4-part Mother Goose Online series available on YouTube.
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: Winter is the perfect season to practice colors. Find something bright and shiny and hold it close for your baby to admire.
- Sing: Take a drive and admire colorful lights! Sing your favorite songs as you go!
- Read: Curl up warm and snuggly, and enjoy a winter picture book!
- Write: Decorating cookies is a fun and delicious way to practice fine motor skills. Finger-frosted cookies are especially yummy!
- Play: Put a mystery object inside a stocking or a winter hat. Ask your little one to reach inside and tell you what they feel. Is it round or square? Soft or hard? Bumpy or smooth? Then let your child put in a mystery object for you!