CLX Buzz: 2/7/19
The Claxton Elementary Community Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton
- Volunteers Needed for Book Fair This Coming Week
- Book Fair Lunch & Shop on Valentine's Day!
- Girls on the Run Registration Feb 11-21
- Planning to Chaperone 4th or 5th Grade Overnight Field Trips?
- Claxton Social Justice League Workshops
- Tickets Now Available for Claxton PTO 2019 Auction Evening
- Seeking Donations for Claxton's Auction
- The Listening Project Live - Asheville City Schools Foundation Event
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
- Thanks to Our Sponsors!
Coming Soon at Claxton....
Thursday Folders--Check your Claxton backpacks!
Mon, Feb 11 - Fri, Feb 15 - Book Fair
Thurs, Feb 14 - "Share Lunch with Someone You Love" Lunch and Book Fair Visit
Thurs, Feb 21 - Social Justice League Parent Workshop (see below), 5:30-8pm
Tues, Mar 5 - PTO Meeting in Media Center, 6-7pm (All are welcome!)
Wed, Mar 6 - Early Dismissal @ 12pm
Thurs, Mar 14 - Math Carnival & Chicken Dinner (details coming soon)
Tues, Mar 19 - Spring Individual & Classroom Group Pictures
Wed, Mar 27 - Early Dismissal @ 12pm
Fri, Mar 29 - Claxton PTO "A Night at the Museum" Evening & Auction
Sat, Mar 30 - Spring Claxton Grounds and Gardens Workday
The Book Fair is Almost Here!
The CLX Book Fair is coming Feb 11-15! We still need volunteers! Sign up here: https://volunteer.scholastic.com/#/signup/IBm3cFFK2
****If you have trouble signing in, don't want to create an account, or if you just have questions, please contact Tracy Dew at email@example.com.
Also, this year we're celebrating our love of books by inviting families to a Valentine's Day Lunch and Shop on Thursday, February 14th (see flyer below). Come join your student for lunch and then shop our book fair!
More information about the Book Fair is available here.
Girls on the Run Registration Next Week
Planning to Chaperone Overnight Field Trips?
1) You'll need to have an approved background check through ACS ; click here to get the process started. It only takes ~5 minutes of your time but can take 2-3 weeks for processing.
2) Also you'll need to meet the one-time requirement of the brief (~20-30 min) ACS Level II Training to chaperone. The full LEVEL II training schedule for the remainder of the year is available through this link. Upcoming training sessions, which happen about once a month, are on the following dates at the Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street. Please check the linked schedule above for exact room location at ACS Central Office.
Tues, Feb 12 at 5:30 pm
Wed, Mar 6 at 12:00 pm
Wed, Apr 10 at 12:00 pm
Tickets Now Available for Claxton's "A Night at the Museum" Auction!
The entire Claxton community – parents, guardians, grandparents, friends, teachers, and staff – is invited to celebrate and support Claxton at our upcoming "A Night at the Museum" Auction! Please purchase your tickets now for the most fun party of the year. This year's event will be at the Asheville Museum of Science (AMOS) on March 29th from 7-10:30pm. Tickets are available online HERE.
All Claxton families are welcome!---Please don’t let the ticket price prevent you from attending. For financial assistance please contact Mr. Ackerman at firstname.lastname@example.org / (828) 350-6503.
Call for Auction Donations!
Now is the time! Our Claxton Auction is coming up on March 29. Please help us gather non-cash donations for the auction! All money collected from the auction goes to fund PTO services, such as playground redesign, food and books for students in need, money for classroom supplies and books, mini grants, staff appreciation meals and gifts, and more.
Are you an artist willing to donate a piece of art?
Do you have a service to donate (yoga classes, will services, acupuncture, massages, photo sessions, etc.)?
Do you have a second home to donate for a weekend?
Can you provide lessons as a donation (dance, cooking, sailing, etc.)?
Would your place of work donate gift certificates or tickets?
Do you have a contact you might be able to ask for a donation?
For inquiries or donations, please contact Lisa Manning at ManningLA@yahoo.com and include the following information:
Name of Donation Item or Experience
Description of Item or Experience
Cash Value of Item or Experience
Any restrictions on the Item or Experience
If you were the contact person for a donation for last year’s auction, please reach out to that donor again this year. Contact Lisa Manning (ManningLA@yahoo.com) with the details of that donation once secured.
No donation is too small or too big, and every dollar we raise goes to Claxton. We appreciate any and all help! Thank you!