Hawk Flock Family News
Hello and welcome,
If you are new to Hedden or just new to the district, I cordially welcome you. If you are an experienced Hedden Hawk family, then welcome back. I hope you have all had a great summer break and our students have had a chance to reset and recharge. Hedden staff have been working hard to get the building ready to welcome all our families and students back to school.
For those that don't know me yet, I'm Don Sims and I'm going into my 9th year here at Hedden and my 20th as part of this great community. Both my daughter and son have come up through the district starting at Discovery Primary with one now at Fife High and the other at Boise State University. My perspective as a parent, community member, and educator make me confident that what we have in Fife, and specifically at Hedden, is special. We work hard to engage students in their learning while also building strong relationships.
I'll wrap up this portion of the newsletter by encouraging you to read on for the various topics and events listed below. There is a lot of information and links for you to look at, but they really will help everyone be better prepared for the start of the year. While this is being sent to every family we have enrolled, I do ask that you check in on your friends and neighbors in the Hedden draw area to make sure they are getting communications as well.
Hedden Elementary Principal
Hello! My name is Kaytlin Peterman and I am the School Counselor at Hedden Elementary! As a School Counselor, my role is to focus on social emotional growth, college and career readiness, and academic achievement. Through the teaching of social skills and behavior management in individual/small group sessions and classroom guidance lessons, I aspire to help all students to become resilient and successful learners.
To learn more about the Counseling Program at Hedden, please visit:
If you would like to connect with me, please feel free to contact me at (253) 517-1500 or email@example.com
I am looking forward to working with you and your child this year!
Our process for drop off and pick will continue to be the same as last year, though we have shifted our start and end times 10 minutes earlier to better help with families who have students at Discovery primary.
Morning Drop Off, 8:55 to 9:10
1. Pull to the most forward area in the fire lane along the sidewalk
2. Before exiting the vehicle, students should have bags ready
3. 3rd grade students will use the Main Office Entry
5. 4th & 5th grade students will use the Gymnasium Entry
6. Parents and family should stay in their vehicle
7. Please be considerate of others dropping off by keeping our line moving
Afternoon Pick Up, 3:20 to 3:30
1. Post your placard/hanger (get one at Open House) on your rearview mirror to help match students to vehicles.
2. Pull to the most forward area in the fire lane along the sidewalk
3. Wait in the vehicle while your student(s) is called from the gym
4. Students should be able to enter the vehicle from the right side
5. Parents & families need to remain in their vehicle
6. NOE: Students will be called as vehicles pull up, and will not be able to cross the parking lot
School Zones and Traffic Cameras
Please, for the safety of our students and to keep your bank account healthy, watch your speed in school zones. Even if the light is not blinking, assume the camera is working. This is just a friendly heads up as Hedden and Fife School District DO NOT operate the cameras.
Dear Parents and Guardians:
We are pleased to announce that Fife School District school meal program will be supplemented by
Meals for Washington Students funds. Meals for Washington Students funds are available to select WA
schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program.
What does this mean for my student(s) who attend Fife Elementary, Discovery and Hedden.
In schools supplemented by Meals for Washington Students funds, all students receive a nutritious
breakfast and lunch at no cost, regardless of family income.
Why is Fife School District requesting financial information?
The information you provide by returning the free and reduced-price meal application impacts the
funding that each school receives from the federal and state government. The Meal Application is used
to capture information and ensure the Fife School District receives all of the funding it is entitled to for
federal meal programs and state educational programs.
How will this information be protected?
In keeping with current practices, application will be kept on file with the manager of food services
What do I need to do?
Please complete the attached form and return it to your student's school or district office. Your
assistance in helping us maintain our current funding levels is greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions, please contact [Toni Barnett] at [253-517-1000 ext. 29147].
Manager of Food Services
Fife School District
Upcoming Events & Dates
- First Day of School!
- Students may enter as early as 8:55 with the late bell at 9:10
- Dismissal begins at 3:20
- Staff will be out helping students get where they need to be
Monday, September 11th
- 1st Late Start Monday (LSM)
- All buildings begin one hour late on Mondays for staff collaboration
- Hedden will allow students in at 9:55 and classes start at 10:10
Tuesday, September 12th
- Picture Day!
- All students will get their pictures taken
Monday, September 18th
- Harlem Wizards fundraiser assembly
- Kicks off our first big fundraiser for ASB
Thursday, October 5th
- Harlem Wizards FUNdraiser Assembly
- Student only assembly at Hedden from 9:30 to 11:00
Thursday, October 5th
- Harlem Wizards Evening Staff vs. Wizards basketball game
- At Surprise Lake Middle School Gym (SLMS)
- Tickets for sale online
Friday, October 6th
- NO School for students
- Staff enrichment day
Wednesday, October 11th
- Early release for all elementary students
- Staff will be preparing for Student Led Conferences
Wednesday, October 18th to Friday, October 20th
- Student Led Conferences for all elementary students
- Students will NOT attend school EXCEPT to attend their conference
- Schedules will come home the beginning of October to arrange with families
Friday, October 27th
- Character Trait Assembly
- Families of students nominated will receive an invite to attend the assembly