Fourth Grade Trip to Austin
Friday, Nov. 6th, 5:45am-9:15pm
1100 Congress Avenue
Chaperones - Notes will be coming home on Tuesday to those that have been randomly selected to be chaperones. Thank you so much!
Cost: $90 per child - Due Sept. 25th (If finances are an issue, please communicate this.)
Transportation: Chartered coach
Fourth graders will be issued Chromebooks next week. In order for your students to get one, please complete the four blue links on the Digital Device Deployment page. The first link will direct you to MySchoolBucks.com to pay the $40 fee.
What We Are Learning This Week
Great Expectation Life Principle: Excellence
Math: Addition & Subtraction Strategies
Social Studies: Regions of Texas
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
Reading: Character & Setting Up Reader's Workshop
Language: Parts of Speech & Simple Subject & Predicate
Library is every Tuesday. Don't forget your books!
Homework Expectations: 1. Read a minimum of 20 minutes nightly and complete reading log. 2. Play math games for 20 minutes nightly and complete log. 3. Practice vocabulary words. Test on Friday.
You've Won the Homework Lottery!
Maria, Addison, Emily, Amina, & Doris
If your child is not showing you the completed reading and math log night, ask to see it. If it is forgotten at school, feel free to bring him/her back to get it. I am here until 5 on most days. I've also included links to the homework above. Thank you so much for doing your part as a parent to help your child develop successful. lifelong habits!
This Week's Vocabulary Words
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- greater than – being of a larger amount or total
- operations - mathematical processes used in equations
- definition – the explanation of a meaning
- predict -to estimate what will happen in the future
- freeze - to turn liquid into solid
- melt - to change from solid to liquid
- evaporation - process of vaporizing liquid to gas
- condensation - process of a gas cooling and forming a liquid
- determine - to figure something out, to set or fix
- detail - an important piece of information that supports the topic
- plot - main storyline or pattern of events
- sequence - the order of things that are connected
- revise - to change and make better
- insert - to add
- draft - an early version or rough sketch
- organization - the logical order of ideas
- edit - to correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors in writing
- table - a set of columns or rows to organize data
- equivalent - something that has the same value or importance
- less than - having a lower value
You can practice these words on Vocabulary Spelling City at: http://edmodo.spellingcity.com/Benjabc123/
To set up your account, enter your email address as your username. If you don't' remember your password, click the link. If at any time you are prompted for your student's ID number, just ask her/him to tell you her/his lunch number.
If you haven't already been getting texts from Mrs. Sparks, please follow this link to sign up. Join to receive and send texts directly. The code is built in to this link.
Dates to Remember
Tuesday, Sept. 22nd
PTA Meeting 5:45 pm
PTA Bicycle Rodeo & Ice Cream Blast 6-8 pm
Wednesday, Sept. 23rd
Monday, Sept. 28nd
PTA Reflections Contest begins
Destination Imagination Awareness Meeting at Zellars
Tuesday, Sept. 29th
Curriculum Night for PreK - Second Grade
Thursday, Oct. 1st
TACO Talk 6:30 am
Lifetouch individual student pictures
Friday, Oct. 2nd
Clowns on Fire
Friday, Oct. 9th
WANTED: Used Dryer Sheets
Used dryer sheets for whiteboard erasers.
WANTED: Playing Cards
If you have decks of playing cards or UNO games, we would love to use them for math.
WANTED: Old Scrabble Tiles
If you have an old Scrabble set, we can use the letter tiles for our Word Work activities.