Sloane, Noah, Taylor
What are Zodiac constellations, and where is Pisces?
The Zodiac is the ring of constellations that the Sun seems to pass through each year as the Earth orbits around it. Contrary to popular belief, there are actually 13 zodiacal constellations, if you pay attention to the way astronomers define them. The zodiac constellations are the most well known, and are commonly used to divine the alleged future.
Pisces has a right ascension of one hour, declination of 15 degrees, and is visible between 90 and -65 degrees, best seen in november at 21:00.
Pisces has three named stars in its constellation, Alrisha, Fum Al Samakah, and Torcularis Septentrionalis.
Alrisha, also known as Alpha Piscium, is a binary star ~139 light years away from Earth, has an absolute magnitude of .64, but an apparent magnitude is +4.33 and +5.23. Alrisha is arabic for "the well rope," the stars themselves are composed of the same material as the Babylonian stars, hydrogen with an iron core.
Fum Al Samakah, more often called Beta Piscium, is ~492 light years away from Earth, has an absolute magnitude of 3.62 and an apparent magnitude of 4.53. The name Fum Al Samakah is arabic for "the fish's mouth." The star is composed largely of hydrogen, with an iron core, much like our sun.
Torcularis Septentrionalis, often referred to as Omicron Piscium, is ~142 light years away from Earth, with an absolute magnitude of 4.26, and an apparent magnitude of 4.33. The name comes from the chinese title; Official in charge of Pasturing." The star is composed of hydrogen and has a iron core.
Astronomy vs. Astrology
Astronomy is the scientific study of the sun, moon, stars, universe etc while astrology is the study of movements and positions of stars and planets in the belief that they influence human behavior and destiny.
Astrology includes several groups of traditional systems basically classified as Eastern and Western ones that use the position of the planets and stars at the time of an individual’s birth to predict his future, personality, important events of his life etc. Scientists often negate astrology claiming it has no physical basis of proof.
Astrology and astronomy came to be regarded separately only during the modern times as, in early history of mankind, science had not developed to the point where the quantifiable aspects of astronomy could be reasoned out clearly. The functioning of the stars and planets was a mystery to man till progress was made in scientific fields over the last hundred years. Science has now come to completely denounce astrology as a pseudo science though astrologers continue to swear by it.
Persona of Pisces
Pisces are usually compassionate, indecisive, artistic, adaptive, social within their goup, idealistic, and romantic. They are also intelligent, intuitive, and have a strong work ethic. Pisces are genuine and emotional, if a bit shy.
- Cancer- This is a very intuitive, caring and affectionate match. Both are deeply romantic and sentimental, and intuitively understand each other, providing the sensitivity, tenderness, compassion and stability they both need.
- Scorpio- This is one of those perfect matches which can make others jealous. Scorpio-Pisces connect on a very deep and satisfying level, often knowing what each other are thinking or feeling at any given time.
- Capricorn- Pisces-Capricorn is an excellent and harmonious match of Pisces imagination, vision and romantic nature with Capricorn’s ambitious and practical approach to life. They are on the same page and intrinsically trust and understand one another.
- Aquarius- Pisces-Aquarius is sometimes a bad match. It can be hard for each of them to get what they want, much less what they need from this partnership. Overall, there's a chance that an Aquarius will seem too cold and analytical for a Pisces on a one to one level, and also be a lot more stubborn than it first appears.
- Gemini- The main problem with this relationship is that Gemini’s are extremely dynamic, often changing their mind from minute to minute, both about what they want and how they want it. Meanwhile, Pisces are highly emotional and sensitive, and this is likely to bruise them repeatedly, leaving them feeling disoriented, confused and insecure.
- Sagittarius- What makes this relationship particularly challenging is that on the surface Pisces-Sagittarius will like and admire each others strengths a lot, and there's likely to be some solid physical attraction. Overall it's likely that a Sagittarius make a Pisces feel neglected and jealous fairly early in the relationship, and that will get worse and not better over time unless an effort is made to understand each other and compromise.
Science vs. Pseudoscience
Pseudoscience- a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.
- Pseudoscience displays an indifference to facts.
- Pseudoscience "research" is invariably sloppy.
- Pseudoscience begins with a hypothesis—usually one which is appealing emotionally, and spectacularly implausible—and then looks only for items which appear to support it.
- Pseudoscience is indifferent to criteria of valid evidence.
- Pseudoscience relies heavily on subjective validation.
- Pseudoscience depends on arbitrary conventions of human culture, rather than on unchanging regularities of nature.
- Pseudoscience always achieves a reduction to absurdity if pursued far enough.
- Pseudoscience always avoids putting its claims to a meaningful test.
- Pseudoscience often contradicts itself, even in its own terms.
- Pseudoscience deliberately creates mystery where none exists, by omitting crucial information and important details.
- Pseudoscience appeals to false authority, to emotion, sentiment, or distrust of established fact.
- Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions, and some have no definition at all.
- Pseudoscientific "explanations" tend to be by scenario.
- Pseudoscientists often appeal to the ancient human habit of magical thinking.
Science- the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
What is the difference between Science and Pseudoscience?
- Science is certain about ending up with the actual explanation while pseudoscience does not ensure that.
- Science is involved with a set of principles to work, while pseudoscience is not operated in a unique method.
- Science is based on tangible or perceptible evidence, but pseudoscience could be based on some superficial or outlandish concepts.
- Science result the truth while pseudoscience results the myth.
Astrology is a pseudoscience because it is
- NOT consistent.
- NOT frugal.
- NOT based upon evidence.
- NOT falsifiable.
- NOT based upon controlled, repeatable experiments.
- Pisces birth flower: Violet
- Traditional birthstone for a Pisces born in March: Bloodstone
- Symbol for Pisces: Fish
- Element represented by Pisces: Water
- Pisces opposite sign: Virgo
- Albert Einstein was a Pisces.
- Pisces lucky color: Soft sea green
Cline, Austin. "Astrology: Is Astrology a Pseudoscience?" Agnosticism/Atheism. About.com. Web. 7 Oct. 2015.
Coker, Rory. "Distinguishing Science and Pseudoscience." Quackwatch. 30 May 2001. Web. 7 Oct. 2015.
Naveen. "Difference Between Science and Pseudoscience." Difference Between. Difference Between, 18 July 2012. Web. 7 Oct. 2015.
"Pisces - Fun Facts and Information." Fun Trivia. FunTrivia.com. Web. 7 Oct. 2015.
"Pisces Compatibility." Compatible Astrology. Compatible-Astrology.com 2006-2015. Web. 7 Oct. 2015.