Happy St. Patrick's Day!
News This Week
AR Dress Out Day
ONLY students who have an out of uniform pass may dress out on Wednesday this week. You had to meet both your point and comprehension goal in order to dress out.
New AR goals will be going home this week!
- Send in $1 (or more) this week to support the SGA fight against childhood cancer. The class with the most money will win free Snow Wizard.
- Donate items to the PTA Garage Sale. A flyer was sent home. Drop off is Saturday 9-10am and 3-4pm, and then Wednesday-Friday next week from 6-7pm.
A letter will be coming home about a fun activity to support our environmental learning. Students will also be doing work in class. This is optional, but fun!
Just a note - we will do some fun egg-themed science activities before spring break, but first grade does not do an egg hunt or party like Kindergarten.
Just a note - I will be out of town for a family medical issue this upcoming Friday-Tuesday. My substitute will be Mrs. Holliday, who is a former first grade teacher at Daphne. She is experienced and we are very lucky to have her!
Special Pizza Snack - Friday - $1.50 Per Slice - Money is DUE THURSDAY MORNING
Studies This Week
- Story: Reading Street Unit 4, Week 6 - Henery and Mudge and Mrs. Hopper's House
- Skills: Cause & Effect, Preview
- Phonics:suffixes -ly and -ful
- Phonics: vowels in moon
- Sight words: across, because, dance, only, opened, shoes, told
- Practice at home: Read decodables and AR books
- Practice spelling and writing words.
- Visit spellingcity.com/meverette for more practice.
- Words this week: slowly, careful, quickly, useful, painful, playful, sadly, gladly, nicely, wonderful
- Unit 7 - Color, Shape and Number Patterns
- We will are working on growing patterns with numbers this week.
- Example: ABCD ABCD ABCD What will the 20th letter be? How do you know?
- Example: If I have six pennies now, and I get three more each day for 10 days in a row, how many will I have at the end of the 10 days? (6+3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3=36)
These words are used in English, math, or science we will learn throughout the week. Words are NOT tested, but will help understanding. Students are not expected to be able to spell these words.
- discover, dwell, resident, welcome, admire, sadness, tremendous, substantial
- pattern, repeating pattern, unit
- conserve, recycle, environment, nature, pollution, natural, manmade, renewable, nonrenewable
Writing & Grammar
- Determiners - conjunctions to join thoughts (and, but, or, so, because)
- Written responses - how to answer questions fully
- Expository (factual/explaining) writing
- Conservation - We will read Magic School Bus Gets Recycled and continue learning about our environment.
- Conservation, the natural environment, and beginning land forms/masses over the next couple of weeks
Book Fair - March 23-27 - Book Fair
16- SGA Service Project this week-Cancer Awareness Drive Fund Raiser
17- BUILD Baldwin BIG Meeting
18- 1st Out of Uniform AR
19- GPSCity Hall Build Baldwin Pep Rally 5:30
20- Report Cards go home
Special Snack $1.50
21- Saturday- PTA Yard Sale Drop off in the auditorium
23-27- Book Fair Week!
24- Snow Wizard
27- Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon
Blood Donation Bus here (Students of parents who donate blood receive out of uniform pass)
28- Saturday- PTA Yard Sale
31- Referendum Vote
2- Skate Day (Same schedule as previous skate day)
3- Good Friday Holiday
6-10- Spring Break