October 17, 2016
A Principal's Perspective
I hope that each of us took away something to learn, inspire, and tuck away to ponder in the future by watching the Queen of Katwe. The quotes from the movie have fostered good conversations. Starting with that bus moving through the streets with a profound quote written on the back, "Challenges are not a curse." The quote, "Losing teaches me how to play better!" and "The place that you're used to is not where you belong." could have been written based on our discussions on deficit thinking, growth and innovative mindsets, and the power of one. The movie alone was powerful. But to have watched it together is an opportunity to grow professionally in our practice while deepening our beliefs about possibilities!
Be Innovative - Design the possibilities!
Morning Duties of the Week
Morning Assembly (7:20): Hughes
Gym (7:20): Owen
Cafeteria (7:20): Matthews
Bus (7:15 - Buses/ Cafeteria after all buses arrive): Marshall
Parent Drop Off Direct Traffic (7:20-7:50): Simpson
Parent Drop Off Car Doors (7:20-7:50): Wilson & Weber
Counselor Schedule: 1st & 2nd
Librarian: at GP - Book Fair
Week at a Glance
Campus Social Focus: Mustang Spirit (video link: http://safari.csisd.org/SAFARI/generated/embedlinks/fe133a14a132a0b63a5df0a35edd1bd1.mp4 ) T - Teamwork
Saturday: Fall Faculty Party - Bryan Ice House 7:00 - ?
Book Fair this Week!
Monday: Homework Club
Tuesday: Kinder Motor Lab Begins 8:15-10:15 T-F; SPED Meeting 3:30-4:30 - art room; Book Fair & STEM Night - 5:30-7:30
Wednesday: Sing-A-Long Schedule 8:30 - Link: http://www.livebinders.com/media/get/MTQ2NjM0MDE= Parr Tech & Specialists Open Office Hours 3:15-4:15; Running Club 3:00-4:00; Homework Club
Thursday: 3rd Grade Field Trip - Chemistry Road Show; SIT #3 (Grant/Lutz, Lake/Michelson, Lindner/Anderson, Brice/Prukop, Wilson/Henry) REACH
Friday: End of the 1st 9 weeks!; Cougar athletes at GP in the morning
News & Notes
- GP Social Dues: Dues are $25 for full-time staff, $12.50 for part-time staff and $15 for paraprofessionals. Please pay your grade level Social Rep. by Monday, October 31st. Please see below for guidelines that guide our activities and gifts.
- Socktober & Halloween Costume Donations: Drive for socks, underwear, and Halloween costumes for Chrissy's Closet. Socks & underwear donation dropped off in office. Halloween Costumes dropped of with Kids Klub.
- Fall Party: Don't miss it! Our GP staff party will be at the Bryan Lake Ice House (link: http://www.lakebryan.com/ ). The Rock-A-Fellas will be the live band! (link: http://rockafellasband.com/). The lake is relaxing, music is awesome, food is great! Come on out with your guest to enjoy the beautiful fall weather and great fellowship with your colleagues. The Social Committee and Activity fund will pay for each GP staff member and one guest for the cover charge. See link to sign up: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e49afa629abfc1-gpstaff
- School Shirt: Want a school shirt that is a v-neck or long sleeve? PTO is taking orders until October 21st. To order go to: https://gpemerchandise2016.itemorder.com/
- Parent Conferences: Please turn in parent conference completed list today to Kathryn. Please let Kathryn know which parents you were not able to conference with so that we can follow up with them. Our campus goal is 100% of parents having a conference to discuss their child's progress.
- Postcards: Also in our campus plan is the goal to mail a postcard to each student by the end of the first semester. We have new, school postcards in the office storage closet. When written, give postcard to Bonnie to mail.
- Morning Car Duty: Students arriving should get out of their cars where the sidewalk and grass meet all the way to the red, down ramp on the curve. We have 3 staff members on morning duty. One person is moving traffic and watching the crosswalk. One person should be located sidewalk/grass to the crosswalk. The other staff member should man the location from the sidewalk to the curve. This area is big so you may need to open car doors and move to the next car. Please continue to give me feedback on how this is working to ensure the safety of our students.
All About the Social Committee
Mustang Yee Haws!
- Happy Anniversary to Kathryn Ballard. Married 9 years!
- Congratulations to Kohl Anderson, Charla's son, who had the honor of introducing Texas A&M's President, Michael K. Young, at the State of the University Address. A video was shown to highlight Kohl before the introductions. Former Consol grad - go Kohl, making us proud! See link for video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_D5JG-P60