HMS Bearcat Bulletin
A Note from Ms. Buschmann
Things will be hopping between now and the end of the year, that is for sure, but I hope you are able to enjoy some time as a family over the holiday break! I hope you find some useful information in the newsletter this month.
Please note that the make-up days for the snow/ice days we have had so far are January 21, February 18, and May 16.
The Power of Reading- submitted by Hermann Title I Staff
Were you aware that studies show that if a student reads just 15 minutes a day, every day, he or she will be exposed to more than a million words of text? Unfortunately, it can be difficult to make a middle school student read independently. Why is it important? According to one researcher, 50% of adults are unable to read past an 8th-grade level. A high school dropout will earn, on average, $17,500 less than a person who completes school.
Please encourage your child to read at least 15 minutes a day. Let them choose any age-appropriate book or magazine that appeals to them, and try to engage them in conversations about their reading materials. Reading is important for their success now and in the future, and is the single most contributing factor to graduating high school.
Article of Interest
Student of the Month
Front Row: Alaina, Krystal, Grace, Rebecca, Dwayne, Trystan, Jillian
Middle Row: Aditey, Jadyn, Colton, Clarissa, Jack, Elizabeth, Amelia, Olivia, Leila, Hailey
Back Row: Chase, Ashton, Kylie, Rheanna, Claire, Brittany, Alyssa, Adariana, Blaine, Shelby, Maggie, Tirzah, Liliyn
Not Pictured: Braden
And the Winners Are...
Ongoing Fundraising Efforts
Please keep in mind a couple of easy ways to raise funds for HMS.
1. Boxtops for Education
2. Shutterfly- start your order at our storefront and 13% of each purchase will be sent to HMS.
Visit our Storefront: hermannmiddleschool.ShutterflyStorefront.com
3. Best Choice UPC's
4. Coca-Cola Give: Put codes from bottles or12-packs or cases of cans in and designate Hermann Middle School as your giving partner at Coke.com/Give.
MAP Testing Results
Pictures from HMS
- The November Committee for Honor Society organized a "Can the Principal" food drive and made it pretty hard for Ms. Buschmann to work in her office. They delivered the food to the food bank.
- The 5th-Grade STEM class is learning about energy.
- Garrett won a state-wide poster contest for Soil and Water Conservation.
- 6th-Grade Students went on a field trip to the St. Louis Art Museum.
- Boys Basketball kicked off with tournaments at St. James and Union. The 8th-Grade team brought home the consolation trophy from Union.
- Haley performed at the Student of the Month Assembly.
- 7th-Grade students skyped with Gordon Korman, author of Restart and MANY other young adult favorites.
- Each student submitted a feather for our Gratitude Turkey. The feathers each hold something students are thankful for.
December 3- 7th Grade Skype with author, Gordon Korman
December 5- Student Council, 3:15-5:00
December 10- 7/8 Grade Boys Basketball @ Montgomery County, 5:30
December 11- 7/8 Grade Boys Basketball vs. Washington, 5:30
December 12- Music Boosters Chili Supper @HHS, 5:00- 6:45
December 12- Band Concert @HHS, 7:00
December 13- 7/8 Grade Boys Basketball @Pacific, 5:30
December 13- Board of Education Meeting, 6:00
December 19- Student of the Month Assembly
December 19- Choir Concert, 6:30
December 20- Second Quarter Incentive Day
January 2- Work Day for Teachers- no school for students
January 3- Second Semester Begins- first day back to class for students
January 3- 7/8 Boys Basketball @Sullivan MS, 5:30 p.m.
January 4- 7th and 8th-Grade Boys Basketball @St. Clair, 12:30 p.m. (Changed)
January 9- MS Student Council Meeting. 3:15-5:00 p.m.
January 10- 7th and 8th-Grade Boys Basketball vs. Union, 5:30 p.m
January 10- Board of Education Meeting, 6:00 p.m.