Independent Study Updates
Fifty One Days To Go!!!!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the information below.
Independent Study Graduation
- If you intend to participate in graduation or senior activities at your home school, please make sure you are aware of deadlines and details. Check your school's website for senior activities and graduation information regularly. You can also contact the Student Activities Director or Counseling Department. As a reminder, I do not receive information from the school sites, so if you are participating it is up to you to stay informed.
- If you received college acceptance letters make sure you adhere to due dates regarding any information you or your home school counselor needs to provide to various colleges. Also, make sure you update your Naviance account to reflect your acceptance status. Home schools will send out final transcripts to colleges upon your request. Make sure your home school counselor knows which colleges need the final transcript and counselor report.
- If you intend to enroll at one of the San Mateo Community College District colleges in the fall you should apply now. Concurrently enrolled students need to reapply as high school graduates.
- If you are enrolling at Canada College in the summer or fall please make sure you:
- Sign up for PEP http://canadacollege.edu/pep/.
- I highly recommend you also participate in the Colts Academy http://canadacollege.edu/coltsacademy/
- Enroll in Math Jam http://www.canadacollege.edu/STEMcenter/mathjam.php.
Juniors and Sophomores
All Sophomores will take the California Standards Test (CST) Grade Ten Life Science. My students will take this test in our classroom during the week of April 25th. This test will be given individually, based on student schedules. Students who want to prepare for the test can review released test questions this link.
Upcoming Holidays and Important Dates
Because Canada and the SUHSD do not have the same spring break, concurrently enrolled students can take Canada's spring break off from Independent Study if necessary. Arrangements will be made with students on an individual basis.
Canada Summer and Fall printed schedules should be coming out soon. I will be talking to returning students about concurrent enrollment as soon as the fall schedules are available. As a reminder, this is a great way to start earning college credit while working on high school requirements. Students who have already taken community college classes will need to complete a College Connections Concurrent Enrollment form for the fall 2016 semester. Students who want to take a community college class for the first time also need to apply to the college. I will help students with this process as soon as the schedules become available.
This is the link to Websmart if you want to review summer class options at Canada. Let me know if you are interested in taking a summer class.
March 25th I am taking this day off for some appointments. The classroom will be closed.
March 27th- April 2nd Canada College Spring Break. No Canada classes. Our classroom will be open and students will meet with me as scheduled.
April 1st- Cesar Chavez Holiday. Classroom Closed. Canada classes will take place as scheduled.
April 4th-8th- SUHSD Spring Break. The classroom will be closed. Canada classes will meet and students are expected to attend.
May 21st- May 27th Finals Week at Canada.
May 27th- Last day for graduating seniors to submit work. Yes, I know, it is after our graduation day! Most seniors will be finished with assignments before graduation.
May 30th- Memorial Day- Both Canada and our classroom will be closed.
June 1st is the last day to submit work for credit for non-graduating students.