Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: February 24, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Hope everyone had a wonderful break! I can not believe we are in the last week of February!
- Great Season for all winter sports!
- KMS Wrestlng finished 2nd in the State! Took 1st place in the Vermont tournament & had 2 State Champions: Andrew McCarthy & Elijah Bland - along with 9 other amazing wrestlers who places in the top 6
- Spelling Bee Winners: 1st Lucien Chidester. 2nd Emily Cabral & 3rd Elizabeth Fennessy
- Mobile Maker lab came to KMS
- Mr. Ryan was named Star teacher for The Bee 2020
- The Angie Dolan Wellness Center now has $14,000 worth of new equipment
- KMS STAAND has spread awareness & Joy with their Carnation sale & Promise Wings
- Science Olympiad earned a silver medal at the Harvard competition.
- KMS has collected over 15lbs of Plastic in the Beyond the Bag Competition
- We Inducted 30 students into the National Junior Honor Society
- Masquers in on their way with rehearsing the Spring Musical of Crazy for You!
- We have reached the 100th Day of School on the 12th!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- SAVE THE DATE: 2020 Statewide survey is next month!
- Rhode Island Student Survey (RISS) | March 23rd
- Save those Memories! Order your KMS 2020 Yearbook Today!
- Masquers | Rehearsals!
- After School Clubs | Coding, Science Olympiad, Math Tutoring, STAAND & Spring Robotics
- National Junior Honor Society inducted 30 new members!
- KMS Community Service Club Annual Bake-off!!
- Mt Hope Students Visit on Feb 26th!
- "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition: We have collected 15lbs of plastic!
- KMS PTO Updates
- School Store: Now open every other on Fridays! Great Items!
- Athletics Updates | KMS LAX Parent Meeting
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
- Free & Reduced Lunch Program!
In Our District
- Attn: 8th Graders Families | Mt Hope 2020-2021 Program of Studies Community Presentation
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Kindergarten Registration is now open!
In Our Community!
- King Phillip Little League Spring Baseball & Softball Info
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys: NEW DATES
- Yoga for Teens! | Bristol Parks & Rec.
- Bristol Youth Soccer Association | Spring Sign ups
- Rogers Free Library | Teen Space
1. Statewide School Survey | Save the Date: March 2nd-14th!
2. Rhode Island State Survey (RISS)
The town of Bristol/Warren has received a grant from the Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals (BHDDH), to continue strengthening Bristol/Warren’s capacity to address youth substance abuse. A requirement of this grant is that the school collects survey information about substance use attitudes and behaviors from high /middle school students. This survey is scheduled to be administered to students during the 2019-2020 school year between February and June of 2020. KMS will be taking the survey March 23rd.
Please complete the permission slip attached if you DO NOT want your student to participate in the survey. The form will also be coming home with your student as well.
4. Masquers | Rehearsal Dates
Here is the rehearsal schedule for this week:
Rehearsals will take place next week EVERY DAY from 2 - 4 PM
ALL CAST AND CREW should attend on Monday, as we will have a brief meeting before we begin.
Crew details will also be discussed and schedule created for upcoming weeks.
Regular attendance is VERY IMPORTANT from now on - 19 rehearsals until opening night!
5. After School Activities & Clubs
Meets every Wednesday @ 2PM
Now on Wednesdays & Thursdays
The Math Tutor Program
The Math Tutor Program has begun and is held on Tuesdays. Students will meet in room 146 at 2:00PM. It is not too late to join. If interested email firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAAND | Students Taking Action Against Negative DecisionsSTAAND meets every two weeks on Tuesdays! Next meeting February 25th
Do you want to join the Spring Robotics Club? Come to Mrs. Wirth's room 43 on Tuesday, February 25th after school from 2-3:00. This is your chance as a beginner in Robotics to learn to build and program. Come to build fun creations. Any questions? Talk to Mrs. Wirth.
STAAND | Promoting Positivity
KMS STAAND students worked putting together inspirational messages, guided by Youth leaders. Makayla Soares a senior at Mt. Hope and one of our Youth leaders put all the messages together to create these Wonder Wings . Makayla has been in STAAND since 6th grade, she has been accepted into RWU Law School and will continue as a STAAND leader.
We are hoping to display our Wonder Wings so parents and students will be able to be inspired by them. The students took 4 weeks to write the messages, color them and put everything together, they are so very proud of their accomplishment!!!!
6. KMS National Junior Honor Society inducted 30 new members on February 12th!
Congratulations to our Inductees!
Jacob Betres, Scarlett Biancuzzo, Aralyn Bradshaw, Emma Caetano, Nathan Calouro,
Lindy Cobery, Emma Coelho, Luke Daniel, Aidan Enjeti, Cohen Ferreira, Addyson Furtado, Jace Goldstein, Mia Hanson, Caleb High, Gideon Lane, Maya J. Lavey, Alona Leonard, Lila Maloney, Lucienne O'Brien, Elena Oliveira, Millie Piper, Juliana Quinlan, Kasey Quinn, Analucia Romero, Zahra Sheikh, Lola Silva, Madeleine St. Pierre, Rachael Thurston, Jackson Travers & Eliza White
Thank you to our NJHS Advisors: Mr. Ross & Mr. Keller
7. KMS Community Service Annual Bake-off | March 12th | 2-3PM
Questions? email Mr. Grifka @ email@example.com
8. Mt Hope Students visit 8th graders! Time to pick your students courses!!
Course Selections sheets are due March 4th. Forms must be signed by Parent/Guardian.
8th Graders will have the opportunity to visit Mt Hope this Spring.
Mt Hope will be having a community presentation on March 3rd @ MHHS on next years Program of Studies.
9. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
UPDATE: Throughout the month of January our KMS community collected over 15 pounds of plastic. This program runs from American Recycles day in November to Earth Day in April. Thank you to all have participated and keep collecting.
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
11. Reminder: School Store open on Fridays during lunch!
12. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports Registration CLOSED
Spring Sports Registration are now CLOSED!
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org. Check out LAX site for FAQ https://www.kmslax.com/
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
13. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
14. Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
15. Free & Reduced Lunch Program!
AROUND THE DISTRICT
2. Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
3. Kindergarten Registration is now open!
The Bristol Warren Regional School District will begin registering age-eligible children for kindergarten. According to Rhode Island State law all children must be 5 years of age on or before September 1, 2020 to be eligible to register for kindergarten. All kindergartens are full day programs.
IN OUR COMMUNITY
1. KPLL Spring Baseball & Softball
2. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf
3. Bristol Youth Flag Football SIGN UPS ARE OPEN: Updated Dates!
4. Yoga for Teens by Teens!
5. Bristol Youth Soccer Association (BYSA) Spring Sign ups!
The BYSA Spring 2020 Developmental (Recreational) Soccer Registration is open. The program is an eight-week season with the first games played on Sunday April 19th and runs through June 7th. Games are played on Sunday afternoons (no games Memorial Day weekend).
Please use this link to register:
All games will take place at the Bristol Town Beach & Sports Complex.
Players will receive a t-shirt and training session one night per week and games on Sunday.