Emotional Child Abuse
By Annika Tuuling & Kaley Sun
Over 3 million reports of child abuse every year in the U.S.
U.S. has one of the worst records among industrialized nations, losing an average of 4-7 children every day to child abuse and neglect
A report of child abuse is made every 10 seconds
80% of child abusers are the parents of the abused child
- 82% of child abusers are 18-44 years old
- Physical Abuse - non-accidental trauma or physical injury caused by punching, beating, kicking, biting, burning, or otherwise harming a child.
- Sexual Abuse - sexually harassing a child, masturbating in front of or performing intercourse with a child
- Emotional Abuse - belittling, shaming, or verbally threatening a child in a way that affects their cognitive, emotional, psychological, or social functions
- Neglect - ignoring, isolating a child, refuses to respond to child's needs
Public service announcements encouraging positive parenting
Parent support groups that help parents deal with everyday stress and responsibilities of parenting
- Mental health services for children and families affected by child abuse and neglect to improve communication and function with the family