Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
September 17, 2018
AZ TOP 10 TEACHER OF THE YEAR
Ms. Amy Komitzky, CHS English and AVID Teacher, has been named an Arizona Teacher of the Year Semifinalist. She will be honored during the Arizona Education Foundation’s awards luncheon in October.
NATIONAL MERIT SEMI-FINALISTS
Four Chandler High Seniors have been named Semifinalists in the 2019 National Merit Scholarship Competition based off of their 2017 PSAT/NMSQT scores. Congratulations to Kale McFadden, Kimberley Mar, Isha Paode, and Lydia Durrett!
The Girls Cross Country Team, which has won two State Cross Country titles in three years, continues to dominate the courses again this year. They took first at the Chandler Invitational on September 1st against 40 teams and won the Ojo Rojo Invitational this Saturday at Tumbleweed Park. The Wolves were led by Senior Morgan Foster, named Girls Distance Runner of the Year for Arizona on July 29, running 17:37 for the 5k course. Morgan smashed the previous course record by 33 seconds. In the open race, Senior Netawn Marsoobian took home the first place prize.
The boys continued their solid performance for the season with a fourth place finish in the Ojo Rojo Invitational. Keeping it in the family, brothers Gabe and Gunner Garcia with Ryan and Justin Taylor, contributed to the strong effort.
Next up is the Desert Twilight Festival, under the lights, on Friday Sept. 28th, at the Casa Grande sports complex. Good luck, Wolves!
VOLLEYBALL PLAYER NAMED TO ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Ne Che Newton was named to the Westwood Tournament of Champions All-Tournament Team this past weekend. Congrats, Ne Che!
Last Week's Wins
- Girls Golf def. Skyline and Mesa by posting the season’s top team score of 175. Sophomore Ciana Reynoso was 1st place medalist with a 39 for 9 holes.
- Unified Football and Cheer dominated the field last week.
- Chandler Swim def. Highland. Boys 100-86; Girls 94-92
- Football def. Liberty (JV 53-7, F 71-0)
- Badminton def. Westwood (V 5-4, JV 5-4)
- Volleyball def. Mesa (F 2-1, JV 2-0) and Cibola (V 3-0, JV 2-0, F 2-0)
THIS WEEK’S HOME EVENTS
- Tues, Sept 18th: Badminton vs. Boulder Creek @ 4:00pm; Unified Flag Football vs. Queen Creek @ 6:00pm
- Tues, Sept 18th- Fri, Sept 21st: CHS Theatre’s production of Alice @ 7:00pm in the CCA Bogle Theatre
- Wed, Sept 19th: Badminton vs. Cesar Chavez @ 4:00pm
- Thurs, Sept 20th: Boys Tennis vs. Perry @ 3:30pm; JV Football vs. Desert Ridge @ 6:00pm; Orchestra Concert @ 7:00pm in the CCA Main
FCCLA-ECE MEMBER OF THE MONTH
Marissa Palmerin (Junior) has found her passion for working with families in our childcare, community, and assisting her classmates in Early Childhood. Marissa has dedicated herself to (Family Career Community Leaders of America) FCCLA’s mission of giving and promoting outreach using Family and Consumer Sciences practices. This year she is venturing into competing at the state & national level of FCCLA in Early Childhood Education. Her classmates and FCCLA board voted her member of month for all she does to progress Chandler and FCCLA.
CHS FALL FEST
Thanks to CHS DECA, StuCo, and all of our clubs, Fall Fest 2018 was a great success! There were over 1200 people in attendance who enjoyed all kinds of attractions, games and terrific food. We can’t wait until next year’s fall festival!
Chandler High’s AF JROTC presented colors last week at Andersen Elementary for their annual Patriot Day Ceremony.
CHS BLOOD DRIVE
National Honor Society (NHS) hosted a blood drive last week to benefit United Blood Services. Thanks to CHS students and staff who donated to this great cause. We filled every slot and made our giving goal!
CHS THEATRE PRESENTS ALICE THIS WEEK
CHS Theatre's Production of Alice runs this Tuesday-Friday, September 18-21. Follow Alice as she escapes her home to find adventure in a topsy-turvy world. Based on Lewis Carroll's classic tale, Alice brings you Wonderland as you've never seen it before. September 18: Special Preview performance with a Mad Tea Party beforehand, complete with fun treats and a character meet and greet. See below for information and tickets. September 19-21 performances are at 7:00pm in the Bogle Theater. Tickets are $8 in the CHS Bookstore or at the door.
Let Floridino’s do the cooking for you! Dine in and/or order carry-out for dinner. All you have to do is mention you want your purchase to go towards CHS Theater. Floridino’s will donate 20% back to US!
So tell your family and tell your friends! The bigger turnout, the more money we collect. Who could turn down an opportunity for PIZZA MUFFINS!?!?!
We will see you there! Menu Available at www.floridinos.net.
The deadline for dual enrollment payment is today, Monday, September 17th. Payment must be completed online on the CGCC Student Center.
Senior parents, you should be receiving or may have already received a letter in the mail for an appointment for Senior Photos being taken by Lifetouch Prestige Photography Oct. 1st thru the 16th except Sundays. To appear in the 2018-19 yearbook, seniors must have their photos taken at this time. If you have questions, call Lifetouch at 480-296-2880.
PHOTO RETAKES FOR UNDERCLASSMEN
Photo make-ups and retakes will be taken September 18th. Freshmen, sophomores and juniors who have not had a photo taken must have it done on September 18th to appear in the 2018-19 yearbook. Students who had their photos taken will receive packets either Thursday or Friday of this week. If students want a retake they must have the photo packet with them on the 18th.
CASH FOR CLASSROOMS
The annual Cash for Classrooms campaign is in full swing! Please consider giving what you can to help the Chandler Education Foundation fund enrichment grants to teachers and schools across the district. A record number of teachers have applied for grants that enrich and extend learning, making lessons memorable. Grants are awarded within weeks! Chandler Education Foundation has been a non-profit supporter of CUSD students and staff for over 32 years. Do you prefer to give online? Learn more and give on the Cash for Classrooms website. Thank you for investing in our future!
- Students interested in signing up to attend the HBCU College Fair on September 26th, please see Ms. Anderson in the Career Center by September 19th.
All college visits will take place in the CHS College & Career Center, unless otherwise specified. Students should sign up outside of the College & Career Center to attend a presentation. They will receive a pass in class on the day of the presentation.
· New Mexico State University- Mon, Sept. 17 at 8:00am
· Washington University (St. Louis, MO)- Mon, Sept. 17 at 10:30am
· University of North Texas- Wed, Sept. 19 at 7:45am
· University of Arizona- Honors College- Wed, Sept. 19 at 8:30am
· GCU Honors College- Wed, Sept. 19 at 9:30 and both lunches
· ASU Barrett Honors College- Thursday, Sept. 20 at 8:30am in the CTE Lecture Hall
· University of Chicago- Thurs, Sept. 20 at 12:30pm
· MCC- Thurs, Sept. 27 at 8:30am
· Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)- Fri, Sept. 28 at 8:00am
· Tufts University (Medford, MA)- Wed, Oct. 17 at 8:00am
· University of Tampa- Fri, Oct. 19 at 9:45am
· New York University (NYU)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 8:45
· Azusa Pacific University (CA)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 9:45
· Whitworth University (Spokane, WA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 7:45am
· Spelman College (Atlanta, GA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 8:30am
· Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences (CRAS- Tempe, AZ)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 10:00am
· Washington State University- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 8:30am
· UC Berkeley (CA)- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 9:30am
· University of Arizona- Thurs, Nov. 1 at 8:30am
CHANDLER CARE CENTER THANKSGIVING REGISTRATION
PATHWAY TO GRADUATION
On September 1st the new School Cents Program was launched with some great opportunities for CHS to earn money for our Positive Referral Program!
It’s easy! Between September 1st and March 31st, shop, dine or watch a movie. Log receipts online 24/7 at shoppingpartnership.com/chandler. If you do not need your receipts returned, you may instead drop them in the CHS collection box located on the Upper Level bridge near Barnes & Noble.
This September dine at any Chandler Fashion Center restaurant or eatery to earn CHS Quadruple the normal points!
Visit shopchandlerfashioncenter.com to view your dining and shopping options.