June at Woodbrook
Dear Woodbrook Families,
June has arrived and the end of the year is suddenly upon us. Before I move onto our own celebrations at Woodbrook, I would like to reflect upon the recent horror in our nation which shook us all.
On the same day we came together for our wonderful concert, we learned of the tragic events which took place in Uvalde, Texas. Our hearts were broken and our minds numbed. How do we explain the inexplicable? How do we address the unthinkable? We decided to only address the topic if a child individually asked, as opposed to exposing all of the children to the very frightening reality. We do not want our children coming to school frightened. Our job is to keep our children safe, physically and emotionally. Sometimes reality is too harsh for children...sometimes it is too harsh for adults. While we did not address it in lessons or announcements, please know that our school and our district have very strict policies regarding safety protocols as you all know when you try to gain entry into our school. We remain vigilant, we run our drills, we analyze our practices and procedures, and we are always ready to pivot when necessary. We are very thankful that our children are safe and our thoughts and prayers go out to the Uvalde families and the community.
It has been a long and strange year. We began the year timidly, seated apart, masks on, trying to balance a somewhat "sterile" environment with a true school feel. As the year progressed, and vaccines became more available, we were all literally able to breathe easier, and school began to resemble the collaborative, child centered place we so missed. We were able to enjoy our favorite traditions with the help of you, our families, our PTO and our staff!
Field day was AMAZING! Thanks to the PTO, ALL of the PARENT volunteers, our CUSTODIAL STAFF and our entire WOODBROOK STAFF and the WONDERFUL WOODBROOK CHILDREN! It was truly a team effort and the children enjoyed a perfect day of fun!
Our annual picnic was a huge success! How lovely to see families PLAYING and RELAXING with their children right here at Woodbrook.
Please see some of the wonderful pictures from Field Day and from our Family Picnic on Twitter @WoodbrookSchool
The children have been thoroughly enjoying their grade level trips! Thanks to all of the parent chaperones for making this happen! Thanks to all of the teachers and Mrs. Burke for putting the trips together! Thanks to our PTO for subsidizing the trips!
A tremendous congratulations to the students in our music department on their fantastic concert! The talented students at Woodbrook never cease to amaze and impress! Ms. Tomasella, Mr. Mulcahy and Ms. Towers deserve all of our praise for putting this concert together! We received some feedback about not being able to see children because we were all on the same flat level. We may return to our previous venue, WWMS, which has bleachers to avoid this next year. Thanks to the brave mother who gave me the feedback! Please enjoy the concert and share the link with your friends and family!
We are in the midst of planning fun events to celebrate the end of the year. Your child's teacher will keep you informed of the activities they have in store for your children. Please scroll down to see some of the school wide events we have planned.
As the year draws to a close, I would like to thank each and every student, parent and staff member for making Woodbrook Elementary School the best school in the world! Take the time to relax, recharge, play, swim, read, write, draw, make videos, and document your adventures! Enjoy every moment with your precious families, we will see you all in September!
Happy Father's Day to all Woodbrook Daddies!
END OF YEAR PARTIES, FRIDAY JUNE 10TH
End Of the Year Class Party Reminders:
- The End Of the Year Class parties are this Friday June 10th 2022.
- The schedule for class parents is as follows :
AM Kindergarten: Class parents Arrive at 9:45am to set up,
parties run from 10:00-11:15am
PM Kindergarten and Grades 1-4: Class parents Arrive at 1:45pm to set up,
parties run from 2:00-3:15pm.
- Class Parents please prepare for the class parties.
- Head Class parents to please email the PTA confirming the names of the Parent volunteers for the class parties.
- There are NO FOOD AND DRINKS at our class parties - just lots of FUN!
Ice Pop Sale
Look for the Ice Pop Sale Form which will be sent home in your child's folder on Tuesday.
$1 per ice pop due to your child's homeroom teacher by Friday!
BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE BOOK FAIR NEXT WEEK!
Preparations for Next Year
Send in a Towel or A Waterproof/Flannel Backed Tablecloth
Send in an OLD towel (or waterproof/flannel backed tablecloth) to sit on for the following upcoming events:
Wednesday, June 15 PBSIS outdoor celebration
Thursday, June 16 Student water balloon toss
Well done Ms. Tomasella, Ms. Towers, Mr. Mulcahy and all of the Students in the Music Program!
We are thrilled that we have started to book our class trips for the late spring.
We will need vaccinated PTO members to join us for the class trips as many of the venues require ADULTS to be vaccinated.
Medical Forms & Permission Slips will be emailed to you as they are prepared.
Directions for Community Pass are on the Woodbrook Announcements Page.
Kindergarten - Tuesday, May 17 Von Thuns Farm
1st Grade - Friday, April 29 Turtle Back Zoo
2nd Grade - Tuesday, May 24 Turtle Back Zoo
3rd Grade - Thursday, May 19 Liberty Science Center
4th Grade - Wednesday, June 8 Philadelphia Zoo
5th Grade - Thursday, June 2 Historical Philadelphia
FIFTH GRADE NEWS
No Idling & No U Turns
In addition, be sure you are not making a U-turn by the stop & drop lot or by the flag pole. It is dangerous and it is not permitted.
Join the Woodbrook Girls on the Run 5K (walking is fine too!)
Click for the District Calendar
- Friday, June 10 - K-4 End of Year Class Parties 2-3:15 p.m. (AM K 10-11:15 a.m.)
- Wednesday, June 15 PBSUS Celebration ***SEND IN A TOWEL TO SIT ON***
- Thursday, June 16 Early Dismissal ***SEND IN A TOWEL TO SIT ON***
- Friday, June 17 Last Day of School Early Dismissal
September Click for 22-23 Calendar
- Tuesday, Sept 6 - First Day of School!!!
- School Closed Mon., SEPT. 26 & Tues. SEPT. 27 Rosh Hashanah
Recycle your Batteries at Woodbrook!
Please recycle your batteries by sending them to school with your child.
Batteries should be placed in the battery bin
located in front of our library.
This organization was founded by former student Nihal Tammana here at Woodbrook
and our current students are working hard to keep it going!
Clubs, Drop Off & Dismissal
- Please do not park in spots around the circle, park in the stop & drop lot or on Robin Road.
- Please do not leave your engines running. Turn the cars off while waiting.
Morning Club Arrival
- Thank you to almost everyone for parking in the stop & drop lot for morning clubs.
- No one is permitted to drive around the circle for club drop off.
Morning arrival 8:40 a.m.
- Pull all the way up to the next available spot in line before letting your child out of the car.
- Do NOT let your child out by the woods, near the garbage or where there is snow, mud and grass.
- ONLY let your child out on the PASSENGER side of the car and only on the sidewalk where our Woodbrook staff stands each morning. This is for the safety of the children.
- NO U turns by the flag pole circle...no parking in the visitor spots by the flag pole circle.
- When students are late to school and no staff members are outside to greet them, ALL parents must park in a legal spot and sign their children into the school.
- No one may drop off children and drive away.
- Wear proper shoes/sneakers/sandals with backs - no flip flops - they are not safe
- Wear shirts that fully cover bellies and shoulders - no crop tops, tank tops or "spaghetti" strap tops (unless there is another layer covering shoulders). Wide tank top straps are fine.
- Wear clothing that covers undergarments - no underwear should be in sight
- Hats are okay when we are OUTSIDE - hats and hoods are not to be worn inside the building
- Sunscreen - please apply at home daily to keep our beautiful children's' faces safe
- Wear clothing that is not torn (even if it is a style) or transparent/see through
Send Umbrellas & Wear Boots when Rain is Expected
What to Do When Your Child is Absent
Please always ensure that you follow the TWO STEP procedure when your child is absent.
1. Call the school to report your child's absence.
2. Send a note with the REASON/doctor's note for your child's absence when your child RETURNS.