The Crusader Times

Bonita Vista Middle School, Volume 1, Issue 8

Big picture

Quote of the Week

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" --Wayne Gretzky (Former, Professional Hockey Player)

Principal's Message

Welcome to week six of our academic school year! Last week we were able to visit a total of 11 classroom periods in our 200 building. Our visits included the English 8, ELD, and our Yearbook elective classroom. We were able to observe high levels of checking for understanding as our students mainly worked through reading assessments (reading comprehension and analysis) in their English classrooms, oral and written language development in their ELD classrooms, and in Yearbook, students worked on completing their 15-slide autobiographical PowerPoint presentation. Observations will continue for the rest of the year and we will visit our 300-building (English 7, US History, World Cultures, ELD) and PE 7 and 8 classrooms next.


As we approach our first grading report please make sure that your student takes advantage of our tutoring/intervention schedule. We offer tutoring in the mornings, during advisory, and after school. Scroll down two text boxes to view our tutoring schedule. Last week, we had 380 students participate in our tutoring sessions. That number is up from 260 students who participated two weeks ago. Please make sure that your student is attending tutoring if they are struggling in any class.


Moreover, as we delve deeper into our semester, please make sure that we continue to have conversations with our students that allow them to reflect on the decisions that they are making day in and day out. Empathy has been a theme this month in our newsletters and we want to continue to highlight empathy as a way to base our decisions. Below is a video that allows all of us to reflect on the power of empathy.

Inspirational Video- Be a Mr. Jensen- MUST WATCH!!

Week at a Glance

Check out our week at a glance by scrolling through some of the events below. Also, click on the attached link to view the Week-at-a-Glance (WAAG).


This week we are promoting our 1st spirit week of the year! Our ASB students chose to go with a "Summer Vibes" theme to align with our current season and the hot month of August. Spirit week activities are designed to create a positive school culture by allowing students and staff to participate in our Spirit Days all week. For more information, please click on the link below:


https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18KZbgDXQ3pYgbfvB8ktsDcDzA7fvT10zUEixdFeoG9o/edit#slide=id.p

ANTI VAPING ASSEMBLIES IN ADVISORY CLASSES (Continue this week)

Over the next couple of weeks, we will have anti-vaping assemblies through our advisory classes. The presentations will be delivered by Officer Campolo from the Chula Vista Police Department. Teachers have the opportunity to take their classes, over the next couple of weeks, to our main quad, for the ANTI-VAPING presentations.

Make-Up Baseball Tryouts

Monday, Aug. 22nd, 4pm

751 Otay Lakes Road

Chula Vista, CA

Baseball Field (Toward the back of the campus--northside).

College Thursdays

Thursday, Aug. 25th, 8am-3pm

650 Otay Lakes Road

Chula Vista, CA

Wear college gear on this day to promote our college-going culture! This Thursday, I will be promoting our college-going culture by wearing my United States Naval Academy Polo. Although I did not attend the United States Naval Academy, I did serve under leaders who did graduate from the US Naval Academy during my time in the Marine Corps. Here is a link if you are interested in finding out more information about the US Naval Academy: https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php.

Spirit Blue Fridays

Friday, Aug. 26th, 8am-1pm

650 Otay Lakes Road

Chula Vista, CA

Make sure to show off your school spirit by wearing any kind of blue on Friday! Go Crusaders!

Student Activities Calendar for Semester 1

Please check out the different activities, including spirit weeks, we have planned for our Fall Semester!

FYI Corner

Below you will find valuable resources for our students and community, including our tutoring schedule!

CRUSADER VOICE

Did you know that our students have a publication highlighting our candidates for this year's ASB Officer Positions? Please check out the "Crusader Voice" by clicking on the link below:


https://www.smore.com/26vjq

CARES NETWORK PARTICIPANT --BONITA VISTA MIDDLE SCHOOL

Did you know that at Bonita Vista Middle School, we have a cohort of teachers that are participating in the CARE Network through High Tech High's Graduate School of Education (Center for Research on Equity and Innovation) for the next three years?


The purpose of this study and work is to establish early warning systems that will help us identify any students that may be falling behind academically and intervene as soon as possible. Research has shown that identifying students at the first sign of disengagement significantly improves the likelihood of re-engagement and successful school completion (Anderson, Christenson, & Lehr, 2004).


Student data is presented to teachers on CARE teams using the 5 On-Track Lanes:


Post Secondary Competitive: Will almost certainly graduate high school and graduate meeting A-G, most strongly prepared for success in college.


Post-Secondary Promising: Will almost certainly graduate high school, 90% chance of graduating with A-G requirements.


Pos-Secondary Potential: Will almost certainly graduate high school, 60% chance of graduating high school with A-G requirements.


Vulnerable: 80% chance of graduating high school, 20% chance of graduating with A-G requirements.


Highly Vulnerable: 50% chance of graduating high school, 5% chance of graduating with A-G requirements.


I had the opportunity to attend one of our first meetings this year this past Thursday where we were taught how to access these types of data. Our cohort of teachers will be going to training on September 14th and September 15th to propel our work this year forward. Since we only have a cohort of a limited amount of teachers, our data will be limited to those students enrolled in those teachers' respective classes.

Big picture

Tutoring Schedule

With our first progress report right around the corner, please make sure that your child is taking advantage of our tutoring schedule. Please see below!

Acknowledgment Corner

The Acknowledgment Corner will be continued to be used to highlight and celebrate our students at any opportunity that we can! If you would like your student acknowledged for something we may not be aware of, please feel free to contact me (include a picture if possible).

Congratulations to our School Site Council Parent Representatives!

A huge congratulations to the following parents who were voted in to represent our parent group in Bonita Vista Middle School's School Site Council 2022-2023:


Crister De Guzman

Mayra Levasseur

Lorean Molina-Correa


On behalf of our community, thank you for your service and dedication to our school. You will be contacted shortly about our first meeting. Parent engagement is key to our student's success and you have answered the call. We can't thank you enough!

Ms. Heredia's ELD Class

This week, while observing Ms. Heredia's English Language Development class, I was able to see students have the opportunity to practice their oral language development skills both inside and outside of class. Dr. Olsen's seminal study "Reparable Harm: Fulfilling the Unkept Promise of Educational Opportunity for California's Long Term English Learners" (2010), cites the importance of ensuring that students who are learning a second language have the opportunity for structured, verbal interactions in English. It was wonderful to see this consistently practiced in Ms. Heredia's English Langauge Development Class. Thank you, Ms. Heredia!
Big picture

Baseball and Softball Tryouts this past Week and Weekend

Congratulations to all students who tried out this past Saturday at Bonita Vista High School. I can't say this enough, it takes true courage to get out there and compete for a spot of only 30 spots available. No matter what, please remember that is the effort and showing up (consistently) that will make the difference in the long run. Congratulations again to all of you and it was fun being out there and watching you all compete.


We do have one more day of tryouts this Monday at Bonita Vista High School at 4 pm for those students who were unable to attend Saturday's baseball tryouts.


Our softball players also tried out this past week! I wasn't able to make those tryouts, but they deserve the same recognition for their efforts and for showing up! It's not easy, but you all have accomplished more than you know by simply competing!

Thank you Ms. Schroeder and our ASB!

Thank you, Ms. Schroeder, and our ASB Students for continuing the positive school spirit during lunchtime on Fridays! Our students really enjoyed getting out there and dancing! We will always appreciate seeing student-to-student connections!
Big picture

MOST UPDATED COVID INFORMATION

Please make sure to check out the most updated information below about our COVID guidelines and protocols.

National Institute of Health SDSU COVID Study

I'm happy to announce that my family and I have enrolled in this service/study through SDSU! We will be testing weekly and we will receive free at-home testing kits every month! See the QR Code below to learn how to participate! We will also receive a gift card at the end of the year! Make sure to sign up or to learn more information see below!
Big picture