School-Parent and Family Compact
Butner-Stem Middle School
WHAT IS A SCHOOL-PARENT AND FAMILY COMPACT?
COMMITMENT FROM OUR SCHOOL
We are committed to:
- Meeting with each family face-to-face at the beginning of the school year.
- Sending home monthly newsletters letting families know how they can support their student at home.
- Making parent contacts about positive behavior, not just when students are acting up.
- Supporting parent participation in learning activities through curriculum nights and other parent activities.
- Providing several methods for regular teacher-parent communication such as conferences, progress reports, report cards, newsletters, phone messages, emails, and text message alerts.
- Ensuring that the language and format of the School-Parent Compact and other information regarding school activities are family-friendly by translating documents into necessary languages or providing interpreters for conferences and meetings.
- Providing parents the opportunity in developing and revising the school compact through public meetings, comment cards, and communication with the parent representatives on the school leadership team.
- Building the capacity of school staff to support parent and family engagement through training and information from the school counselors and social worker.
- Ensuring parents have access to the Parent Portal to monitor their child's grades.
COMMITMENT FROM PARENTS AND FAMILY
As parents and family members invested in the education of our children, we promise to:
- Be responsible for supporting our children's learning at school by partnering with the school to support the educational program at Butner-Stem Middle School and expecting my child to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct and Attendance Policy.
- Be responsible for supporting our children's learning at home by providing a place to read and do homework and respond to messages sent home by teachers.
COMMITMENT FROM STUDENTS
As BSMS Students, we pledge to SOAR by:
- Working hard and doing their best in class.
- Listening to and following instructions.
- Staying on task and completing all assignments to the best of their ability.
- Showing respect for self and others.
- Following all school rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Asking for help when needed.
- Respecting the rights of others at all times.
- Reading 20 minutes per day.
PARENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
This year, families will be invited to:
- Annual Meeting: Our school’s Annual Title I meeting will be held on October 16, 2018, at 6:00 pm.
- Flexible meetings: Butner-Stem Middle School will offer meetings during the day and in the evening to accommodate our parents’ schedules.
- Involve parents in the development of PFE Plan and the Title I program: Officers of the Twin Talon Club, our PTO and Booster Club are involved in the development of our PFE Plan. Parents are welcome to provide feedback to their representatives as plans and programs are developed throughout the school year.
- Provide Information to parents: Our school will hold Parent-Teacher Conferences on the following dates: Year-Round: October 16, January 8, and April 2; Traditional: November 6, February 5, and April 9.
- Allow for comments on plans: Parents are encouraged to provide feedback on plans developed each year. Anonymous submissions can be made electronically here.
BSMS STUDENT-FRIENDLY MISSION AND VISION
I Am a Falcon.
I Work Hard Each Day.
I Will Be Ready To Take On the World.