Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV
Did you know?
Every 9 seconds someone in the United States sustains a brain injury.
More than 3.6 million people sustain an ABI each year.
At least 2.8 million people sustain a TBI each year.
- Each year approximately 26,000 children in PA sustain traumatic brain injury (mild, moderate, or severe).
- 22,000 of those are concussions.
- Approximately 70% of students who’ve sustained a concussion should recover within 4 weeks, but 20% of students may have prolonged recovery.
The BrainSTEPS (Strategies Teaching Educators, Parents, &
Students) Brain Injury School Re-Entry Consulting Program
assists Pennsylvania schools in creating appropriate
educational plans for students following acquired brain
injury (ABI). ABIs are brain injuries that occur after birth
and include both traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and
non-traumatic brain injuries (non-TBI). ABIs can cause cognitive,
physical, social-emotional, and behavioral impairments that impact
classroom performance and learning.
Return to Learn (RTL)
While it is true that an athlete must be 100% symptom-free before Return to Sports, they do NOT need to be 100% symptom-free to RTL.
The majority of children who sustain an ABI will return to school with at least one impact cognitive, physical, emotional, social, and/or behavioral
First Layer of Support
Concussion Management Team (CMT)
Your school can participate in the Free, Online 5.5 hours,
On-Demand Official Return to Learn Concussion Management
Team (CMT) Training Course
For more information: https://www.brainsteps.net/
Second Layer of Support
What Can the BrainSTEPS Team Do:
Communicate with the district, family, medical, & rehabilitation professionals
Gather medical, rehab, & educational records to assist the school in making educational recommendations
Conduct student observations
Provide peer, parent & school training
Assist in student transitions serving as a consistent point of contact for students through the years
Offer families support, education & connections to community resources
Monitor all referred students annually until graduation
How to make a referral to IU IV BrainSTEpS team
Anyone can make a referral:
1. Go to www.brainsteps.net
2. Click on Make a Student Referral and fill out
the required information.
3. Click submit.
4. Once the MIU IV BrainSTEPS team receives the referral the school will be contacted to discuss the case.
5. There will be a one-time fee of $400. The BrainSTEPS team will follow the student until graduation.