Welcome to the Fork Shoals Library!
Important information for FSS faculty and staff
As a library staff, we are interested in forming instructional partnerships with the teachers at Fork Shoals School. We hope to accomplish this through collaboration.
Through collaboration, we can integrate information literacy and technology standards with subject curriculum standards.
Ms. Knight is willing to teach lessons on blogging, netiquette, DISCUS, the research process, plagiarism, writing citations, genres, using the library catalog, Internet safety and evaluation, and much more. The library staff will also create pathfinders on specific topics, pull books of particular interest, and develop hot lists of web sites that are useful in certain subjects. These activities have the potential to increase student learning in many areas of study. The library staff is here to impact student achievement.
If you are interested in collaborative efforts, please contact Ms. Knight. She asks that you give her two weeks to plan for any collaborative lessons.
In addition to collaborating with teachers, Ms. Knight would also like to present booktalks on the SC Book Award nominees as well as subjects of interest, from World War II to music. Ms. Knight will present booktalks in the library. If you are interested in having a booktalk in your class, please let Ms. Knight know, and give her at least two weeks to prepare the talk.
Scheduling in the Library
- Classes are scheduled on a first-come/first-serve basis. To ensure that teachers get the time in the library that they need, it is recommended that they schedule classes at least two weeks in advance.
- Teachers can sign up for classes by coming to the library and looking through Ms. Knight's calendar for available dates/times. Ms. Knight will also place an electronic copy of the schedule on the library blog for teachers' convenience.
- It is recommended that the teacher provide the library with a copy of the assignment for which his/her students will need time in the library.
- Any information literacy or technology skills required for the completion of an assignment may be taught by the librarian.
- Students will be allowed to check out materials related to research topics. Teachers may also check out materials to be used by entire classes.
- Teachers should send no more than five students at a time to the library. If they wish to send more, they must sign up for time in the library.
- Students must have a pass to enter the library, and they must sign in immediately upon arrival.
- All passes must have the teacher’s name, student(s) name(s), reason for visit, and time due back in class. (Please do not indicate “in 10 minutes” or “when teacher calls” on the pass. A specific time is needed.)
- If students are engaging in activities that they were not sent to the library for, they will be asked to return to class.
Destiny Quest (library catalog or OPAC)
The Fork Shoals Library’s “card catalog” is online! Teachers and students may access the OPAC in a number of ways. On school computers, simply open Internet Explorer, click on the favorites menu, and select OPAC. On any other computers, go to the FSS home page, select Library, and go to the Destiny catalog.
If you would like to learn more about how you can get the most out of the library catalog—including logging in, creating resource lists, and accessing a selection of ebooks, see Ms. Knight for login information and a brief tutorial on using Destiny Quest/FollettShelf.
Teachers are encouraged to recommend titles for purchase to the library staff. We welcome your input as we consider new materials. After all, we are here to help you fulfill your curricular needs. If there are titles you would like to see in the Fork Shoals Library, please email your suggestions to Ms. Knight, and she will make every effort to honor your request.
Reporting technology problems
When reporting technology problems to the library staff, please include a detailed description of the problem and your computer’s VNC number. This information can be found by clicking the green “H” icon on your desktop. ETS will not generally accept requests for assistance without this information.
Other information that may be needed when reporting technology problems:
- Room number
- Equipment serial number or service tag
- Any attempts at troubleshooting
Please send technology problems to Ms. Knight via email if possible.
Faculty Book Club
This year, Ms. Knight would like to start a faculty book club. During this first year, we will hold meetings once per quarter, and we will begin by reading nominees from the South Carolina Children’s Book Award list. If you are interested in participating, please let Ms. Knight know.
The first book club meeting is tentatively set for Thursday, October 2nd, 3:15-4:15, in the library. Inservice/exchange day credit will be given, and light refreshments will be provided.
Fork Shoals Reads!
The library blog, Fork Shoals Reads!, is the one-stop shop for all information pertaining to the Fork Shoals Library.
Things you can expect to see on Fork Shoals Reads!:
- Weekly library newsletters
- Books of the week
- Announcements of upcoming events (book fairs, celebrations, etc.)
- Links to the latest library calendar and weekly schedules
- Links and information on resources like DISCUS, Soundzabound, YouTube, and the library wiki
- Forms for submitting book requests and reviews
- Student surveys
- Lesson materials
- Recommended websites
- Information on the South Carolina Book Award program and nominees
- Battle of the Books information and updates
- Much more!
To visit the library blog, go to the FSS homepage, click on Library, and go to Fork Shoals Reads!
Save the dates!
October 11—Star Wars Reads Day
October 25—Halloween ComicFest
November—Picture Book Month
November 14-21—Fall Book Fair
February 27-March 6—Spring Book Fair
March 2—Read Across America Day
April—School Library Month/National Poetry Month
April 12—DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) Day
April 12-18—National Library Week
April 14—National Library Workers’ Day
May 2—Free Comic Book Day
May 4-8—Children’s Book Week
May 22—All library books due