Unit 2 Assessment Criteria 4
Different Types of Office Equipment
There are several different types of office equipment, such as:
- Computers/Laptops - Comprise of many different parts such as a hard drive and motherboard. Come with a screen, keyboard and mouse and other different input and output devices can be used with them.
- Printers - a machine which is usually linked to a computer that prints out images and text.
- Photocopier - a machine that copies printed images and documents.
- Laminators - a machine that seals paper with plastic sheets.
- Audio Equipment - this can be in several formats such as dictation equipment (e.g. dictaphone), sound system (e.g. computer speakers).
Uses of Different Office Equipment
- Sending and receiving emails
- Creating documents
- Storing information e.g. images, audio files
- Browsing the internet
- Printing documents and images
- Making copies of a printed document or image
- Seals the laminating sheet which a document is placed into, giving it a plastic covering.
- Used for inputting and outputting audio files. For example, a dictaphone that is used by clinicians to dictate referral letters and other medical documents.
Factors To Be Considered When Choosing Office Equipment For A Task
- If there are any cost implications - will this fall within budgetary constraints?
- If the equipment is able to assist you in completing the task effectively
- If the equipment will produce a lot of waste
- How long it will take for the piece of equipment to complete its task
- If there is any limit to when the equipment is available
Keeping Waste To A Minimum When Using Office Equipment
- Ensure paper, plastic etc. is recycled
- Try to print double-sided
- Ensure equipment is powered off when not in use so as to not waste power
- Do not print a document off if it can be viewed/used electronically