May 9 -13, 2016
Happy Mother's Day!
Whether you are a mom enjoying your own kiddos, celebrating with your own mom, cherishing the memories of your mom, or praying for your mom's to heal from illness or injury, enjoy your Mother's Day. There is nothing quite as special as a mother's love, no matter our age or stage.
Make sure to find time to do the 'Mom Dance!' Just watch my fave, Kid President for inspiration!
NEXT WEEK AT DEY
Monday, May 9:
Fire Assembly (K-3)
Self - contained SPED
Grade 2 -Hartin, Dudley, Mrs. White
Grade 3 - Layman, McArdle, Nard
Grade 2 - Tosten, Williams
Grade 3 - Cullen, Johnson, Stava, Mr. White
"We Haz Jazz" Gr. 5 Chorus Rehearsal- ends at 4:15 p.m.
Tuesday, May 10:
Spring Music Program Assembly 8:30 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.
8:30 Music Assembly:
Grade 1 & 2
Grade 3 - Layman, Stava White
1:30 Music Assembly:
Grade 3 - Cullen, Johnson, Nard, McArdle
Grades 4 & 5
Spanish (Gr. 4 & 5) Last class!
Spring Music Program/PTA Mtg. /Scholarship Presentation 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 11:
National Nurse Day - Thank you Michelle & Jennifer!
Spanish (Gr. 2 & 3) Last Class!
Thursday, May 12:
Baby Shower for Heather Elman at 3:00 p.m. In the Library
Friday, May 13:
Field Day! Wear your Field Day T-shirt or Great Dreams VBCPS T-shirt
(Rain Date: Monday, May 16)
Saturday, May 14:
Computer Challenge at O.D.U. 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Field Day is Friday, May 13th!
Each class has 1.5 hours on the fields (and a fun assembly to complement their time on the fields) We need 2-3 volunteers per class! Sign up at: http://www.jbdpta.my-pta.org
- All students must bring their own-labeled water bottles (we will have refilling stations and a few extra bottles for those who forget)
- Wear sunblock! Bring a hat to stay cool. Wear your Field Day Shirts and have them signed!
- No food/snacks/treats will be permitted/served on the field/gym
- All classes keep their usual lunchtimes but will not have Computer, Art, Music or PE that day
- The PTA will provide all tents and coolers
- There will be centralized “cooling stations” with water and blankets
- There are three Field Day activity areas: Jedi Olympics in the field, Boot Camp in the field and the Gym
AM K - Blake, McGuire, Harvey (start in Gym)
ALL 1st Grade (start at Boot Camp)
2nd Grade - Williams, White and Tosten (start at Jedi Olympics)
ALL 4th and 5th Grades (start where you please!)
PM K Blake & Harvey (start in Gym)
2nd Grade – Hartin & Dudley (start at Boot Camp)
ALL 3rd Grade (start at Jedi Olympics)
Sign up at: http://www.jbdpta.my-pta.org
*Field Day events, set up and clean up
May 16-20: Educational Bosses Week - Thank you Beth & Jill for ALL you do!
May 17: Progress Reports issued
May 18: SCA Spirit Day! Wear your JBD Spirit wear!
May 18: Grade 2 Field Trip 9:15 - 1 p.m.
May 18: SOL Pep Rally 1:45 p.m.
May 18:Math Night at Food Lion - More details coming soon!
May 19: SOL's begin
May 21: GOTR 5 K Race 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. Virginia Wesleyan College
May 25: JBD Spirit Night at Rita's Italian Ice (All day!) Shore Drive, Virginia Beach
May 27: Last day for students to check out Library materials
May 30: Happy Memorial Day! School is closed.
June 3: Deadline for students to return Library Materials
JBD SOL 2016 TESTING SCHEDULE
SOL Testing Schedule 2016
Thursday, May 19: Grade 4 Reading (Part 1)
Friday, May 20: Grade 4 Reading (Part 2)
Monday, May 23: Grade 4 Math (Part 1)
Tuesday, May 24: Grade 4 Math (Part 2)
Wednesday, May 25: Grade 5 Reading (Part 1)
Thursday, May 26: Grade 5 Reading (Part 2)
Friday, May 27: Expedited/Make-up
Tuesday, May 31: Grade 5 Math (Part 1)
Wednesday, June 1: Grade 5 Math (Part 2)
Thursday, June 2: Grade 3 Reading (Part 1)
Friday, June 3: Grade 3 Reading (Part 2)
Monday, June 6: Grade 3 Math (Part 1)
Tuesday, June 7: Grade 3 Math (Part 2)
Wednesday, June 8: Grade 5 Science
Thursday, June 9: Grade 5 History
Friday, June 10: Expedited/Make-up Testing
Monday, June 13- Thursday, June 16: Make-up Testing
Happy Birthday !!!
May 17 - Phyllis Adamson
May 19 - Robin Sawyer
May 25 - Betsy Bellmore
thinking of you....
Lynne Logan, during your mom's hospitalization. Our prayers are with you!
Bonnie, as you recuperate from you surgery. You are greatly missed!
Heather Elman, feel better soon! We miss you!
Stacey Niven, while your mom is in the hospital.
- KUDOS to Robin Hill & the Custodial Staff for your help in setting up for our Author's Nook Presentation. Nicholas Kimpan
- Thank you, Beth & Jill, for the bagels and donuts for Staff Appreciation Week and all the lovely prizes and treats!!! JBD has the best Principals ever!!!!
Kudos to The Wonderful SEC team for a great year!! You ladies make Thursdays great! From Jennie
- Thanks, in advance, for everyone's help and flexibility during the upcoming testing season! Stay cool, calm, and happy! :) We're all in this together....... (I promise I won't start singing High School Musical numbers!:)) Please ask if I can help in any way! ~ Jill
- Kudos to having an awesome 5th grade team! Thank you for helping me when I was sick. Brianna
- 4th grade thanks Mrs. Bianchi and Mrs. Barger for our treats this week!
- Thanks to all of those who helped make my birthday special. I appreciated the smiles, support, and goodies. From a young kid stuck in an old lady body...Kelli White
- Thank you JBD PTA! Lunch and goodies were wonderful. Jamie van Reesema
- Thank you to everyone for your support this week! Memo has a long road ahead of her but she can do this! She is an amazing lady! Lynne
- I want to say a special thank you to Kathy & Lisa for moving forward without me-way to make me feel needed ladies! Seriously, you both are amazing teammates & I am so glad to have your support! Lynne
- Thank you Beth & Jill- I am sure all LA teachers appreciated the Wednesday treat! Lynne
- Thank you to the wonderful library staff who sacrificed a table so that the Special Education staff could have another place to have meetings during this busy time of year. Krista
- Thank you to our awesome daytime custodians, Robin Hill and Salena Williams for getting the table from the library for me (and bringing the round one back to the library when it didn’t fit through my door!). You are always so helpful when I need it! Krista
I Make a Difference Award
Running through the halls each and every day,
Going to different grade levels to help things run the right way.
She works tirelessly to meet all of her students’ needs,
In and out of different classrooms to help each one succeed.
I can’t thank you enough for helping my second graders grow,
I appreciate your hard work and kindness more than you will know!
Thank you, Katie Heiser!
Love, Elizabeth Tosten
Ashlee Williams for Graduating with a Master's in Reading this weekend from Old Dominion University!
Natalie Ross for Graduating with a Master's in Teaching English as a Second Language from Old Dominion University!
To Chase Reidelbach (Karen's son) for graduating from Maine Maritime Academy!
To Stephanie Gabriel (Corinne's daughter) from Old Dominion University!
To Claire Bianchi for graduating from University of Virginia!
***Please let me know if you have a graduate close to you and if you have pictures to share! ~Beth