Volume 1, Issue 15: December 15, 2017
Please take time to look through this newsletter! There are LOTS of pictures of the concert and small business day!
Have a great weekend and stay warm!
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Small Business Day @ Woodland
Writing: We published our persuasive essays and wrote a persuasive essay for our small business.
Reading: We learned common prefixes, suffixes and root words. We located them in our nonfiction texts and used our morphology knowledge to determine the meaning of unknown words.
Math: Orange Group: We continued our unit on fractions! Blue Group: We started our algebra unit. The students were also able to try Hands on Equations. Purple Group: We started our place value unit.
Science: We began learning about energy sources and transfer.
Enrichment: We prepared for Small Business Day!
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Orange Group: Continuing fractions unit. Blue Group: Continuing algebra unit. Purple Group: Continuing place value unit.
- Reading: We will continue our nonfiction unit!
- Writing: Writing different types/variations of persuasive essays.
- Science: We will continue our energy/energy transfer unit, specifically thinking about how energy is transferred.
- Enrichment: We will learn about the VEX robotics kits and how to use them. This will include robotics and coding lessons.
Character Trait of the Week: Enthusiasm
*Keep in mind, absences a different situation. Students receive one day extra time for each day they are absent.
Upcoming Field Trip to AHS's Robotics Lab!
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes ***Try to incorporate nonfiction!
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Does your Child Like to Ski? Check out the link below for 4th-5th graders!
Upcoming Important Dates
12/21 GT Class Holiday Party at 8:45am (Parents welcome)
12/22 AHS Robotics Field Trip (Only GT Students)
12/25-1/5 Winter Break, No School
1/15 MLK, Jr. Day - No School
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School