Voyager Family News
Week of September 2, 2019
Strand Spotlights and Info
We had a fabulous first full week, busy with Back-to-School Night, Book Fair, and 5th Grade Bonding!
- PICTURE DAY WILL BE WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 11 DURING YOUR CHILD'S PE CLASS.
- Band and Choir: Our Band and Choir programs will both start the week of September 9. Thank you to Coronado Schools Foundation for funding our directors and making music free for our students!
- Enrichment Clubs: Our After-Scool Enrichment Clubs will begin the week of September 9; flyers for the fall session are on Peach Jar (for details on accessing Peach Jar, see the "Stay Connected" section at the bottom of our newsletter).
- Running Club: Stay tuned for more information about Running Club, slated to begin at the beginning of October under the direction of PTO.
- Safety and Security: Silver Strand has posted positions to provide security/safety oversight in the mornings and afternoons at drop-off and pick-up times (7:45-8:15 in the mornings and 2:45-3:15 in the afternoons; 1:30-2 PM on Wednesdays). If you are interested in applying, please see www.Edjoin.org or email Ms. Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the positions.
- Biking to and from School: WE LOVE that our Voyagers are biking and scootering to school! Please remind your bikers/scooters to use crosswalks when arriving at school and walk bikes on school property.
- Dogs at SSES: We also love our furry friends! But for reasons of health and safety, we cannot permit dogs on our campus (even out front in the flag plaza) or tied to our gates. You will see some families walking to school with dogs and waiting and socializing on the outskirts, a great way to include your pup and follow district policy.
- Volunteer for VAPA: Our terrific new Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) teacher is looking for assistance in her classroom as well with some project prep (cutting, etc). If you are interested in volunteering, please email Gina.Mirtallo@coronadousd.net.
- Play by the Bay Fundraiser at Loews this Friday: Join community friends at a special fundraiser event benefiting our schools--great food, great music, silent auction, BEAUTIFUL VIEWS: https://www.loewshotels.com/coronado-bay-resort/play-on-the-bay
Choir Information and Application: 2nd-5th Graders
This Week and Next:
Friday 8/30: Information about After-School Enrichment Clubs posted to PeachJar
Mon 9/2: Labor Day Holiday/No School
9/5, 8:30 AM: General PTO Meeting
Fri 9/6: Loews Play on the Bay Event benefiting Coronado Schools: https://www.loewshotels.com/coronado-bay-resort/play-on-the-bay
Mon 9/9, 8:30 AM: SAFE Coffee Talk on Managing Family Chaos, at the District Office
Wed 9/11: PICTURE DAY (during your student's PE class)
Thu 9/12, 4PM: School Board Meeting, DO
Fri 9/13: Kona Ice after school
Fri 9/13: Choir Starts, 7:15 AM in VAPA room
Fri 9/13, 4:30 PM: All-School Carnival sponsored by CSF at CHS Quad
Fri 9/20: PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
Thurs 9/26: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 9/27: 5th Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:30 AM)
Mon 10/14: District Holiday/No School
Fri 10/25: 4th Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:30 AM)
11/4-8: Parent-Teacher Conferences (Students Early Release)
Mon 11/11: Veteran's Day Holiday/No School
Fri 11/15: PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
11/25-29: Thanksgiving Holiday/No School
12/9-13: Holiday Shoppe at SSES
Fri 12/20-1/3/20: Winter Holiday/No School
Mon 1/6/20: School Resumes
Fri 1/17/20: Teacher Workday/No School for Students
Mon 1/20/20: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday/No School
Thurs 1/30: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 1/31: 3rd Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (12:15PM)and PTO Family Fun Night at SSES
Fri 2/14-Mon 2/17: Presidents' Weekend/No School
Thurs 2/27: Spring Open House
Fri 2/28: 2nd Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (12:15)
Fri 3/13: PTO Family Fun Night
Wed 3/18, 4:30-9 PM: CSF Telethon at CHS
Thurs 3/19: Late-Start: all students start at 10:00AM
Fri 3/27: 1st Grade Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:50)
3/30-4/3: Spring Break Holiday/No School
Tues 4/7-Thurs 4/9: Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences (Students Early Release)
Fri 4/10-Mon 4/13: District Holiday/No School
Fri 4/24: Kindergarten Bring a Parent to Lunch (11:50) and SSES Luau
5/25/20: Memorial Day Holiday/No School
6/11/20: 5th Grade Promotion/Last Day of School/Early Release
Morning Dropoff and Afternoon Pickup in 2019-20
Our new bell schedule means ALL students TK-5th Grade will start school at 8:10 AM (same as this past year), and ALL Kindergarten-5th Graders will release at 2:55 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, and at 1:40 on Wednesdays (Transitional Kindergarten will release at 11:50 each day). Our afternoon pickup time will be BUSY! Your cooperation with protocols and safety provisions will be essential for smooth and safe transitions for students.
Adult supervision outside school in the morning does not begin until 7:50 AM; please do not plan to drop your child off prior to this time unless they are participating in band/choir/other officially supervised school activities.
IN THE MORNINGS: TK and Kindergarten students will line up outside the gate to the right of our office door each morning by 8:05 AM to be picked up by their teachers and escorted to class. First graders will enter the same gate and proceed to class at the first bell. All other grades enter the gates to the left by Strand Hall when the first bell rings to line up by class on the blacktop.
IN CASE OF RAIN OR INCLEMENT WEATHER, students will report to Strand Hall and line up in designated areas in the Hall.
At the end of the school day, Kindergarten teachers will escort their students to the PRESCHOOL GATE for parent pickup ahead of other students, so parents of kindergarteners should plan for their students to be ready to reunite with you 5-10 minutes before 2:55 (or 1:40 on Wednesdays).
We anticipate a VERY BUSY afternoon pickup each day, with more students releasing at the same time! It will be critical that all drivers follow our safety protocols and plan for efficient reunification with students. We encourage those students/families who can walk/bike/scooter to do so!
The blue crosswalk in the middle of the dropoff/pickup area is reserved for use by school community members with disabilities during our busiest times. If you park to walk into school with your child, please use the crosswalk by Strand Hall.
When dropping off or picking up your students, please stay to the right. The left lane is for parking and is not safe for passing, except when directed by school staff/crossing guard.
Meet Our New Board and Join our PTO!
Welcome to our new PTO Board:
- President: Lauren Koehler
- Vice President Lori Blauert
- Treasurer: Leslie Broussard
- Secretary: Leigh-ann Williamson
- Parliamentarian: Becca Kofonow
- Luau Coordinator: Heather Pettit
- PTO Advisor: Nellie Ritter
In addition to building community, supporting curriculum, and enriching students' school experience, the Silver Strand PTO is responsible for Family Fun Nights, Holiday Shoppe, Yearbook and Luau to name a few. Our fundraising efforts provide for school field trips and enrichments clubs. We are unable to do what we do without the support of Silver Strand families, teachers and staff. Your first opportunity to support our endeavors this year is by joining the PTO. You can join online now! Link: http://bit.ly/2yMRMTL Please let us know on our membership form where you would like to help us with your time and talents.
After-School Enrichment Clubs
Our SSES PTO is proud to sponsor and coordinate after-school enrichment clubs for students in grades K-5 from 3-4 PM Monday through Thursday (note that these clubs are not part of the CUSD/SSES instructional day, and clubs are run by private organizations/non-CUSD employees).
SSES Teacher Karen Pierro works with our PTO as a coordinator/liaison.
*Clubs will start the week of 9/9
*Individual Clubs have posted flyers with details on how to register on Peachjar
*Some clubs have enrollment caps so register early!
*If your child does not get into a particular club this time, there will be one, possibly two more sessions this school year (session 1 will end in November).
Community Agreements and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
The first Coffee Talk is Monday, September 9 at 8:30--see flyer below.
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Marie Millard! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life.
Village Wed. Nov. 20 8:30-9:30 Building Resiliency in Children
Strand Wed. Feb. 19 8:30-9:30 Supporting Your Child Through Deployment
ECDC Wed. May 20 8:30-9:30 Transitions
Confirmed---CMS Wed. Sept 18 8:30-9:30 Children and Moving/Challenges of Changing Schools
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
2019-20 Parent and Student Handbook
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/