Spring Mills Shark Nation Notes
Important Upcoming Dates
May 30th - No School Memorial Day
May 31st - Elementary Track Meet @ MHS (rescheduled)
June 1st - Spring Mills Bounce House Days
June 1st - Spring Mills voices concert 6:30pm
June 2nd - Spring Mills Bounce House Days
June 16th - 1/2 Day Last Day of School!
To say that it's been a rough week in our hearts and minds doesn't begin to cover it. The families that are living the tragedy of losing their loved ones to violence are in our thoughts this week and beyond.
When we have these senseless acts, as before, we reflect on our own practice. Honestly, in terms of safety, I'm always reflecting on our practice, not just in times of tragedy. The responsibility of keeping our kids safe is the most important one we bear as educators.
With that said, I just wanted to send out some reminders of our own safety protocols. We spent the school year looking at what we already do and what we can do better. We trained in Run, Hide, Fight emergency drills, and we continue to hold a secure entrances. The district conducted a safety and security audit of all of our buildings. While we are under construction, we have a site supervisor that clears all of the workers that are on site. He has extensive experience in school construction, so he is well versed in the area of school safety. While the addition is off of the back of the building, the door leading to the addition is locked and you can't gain entry into the school from the construction area. We are looking forward to next year with even more improved security to our building.
I've had multiple parents ask me what they can do to support us, and I am so appreciative of that. First and foremost, one of the most important things you could do is make sure you are following our arrival and dismissal procedures. While we say that traffic flow is important during this time, student safety is even more important! We have specific times set in terms of letting students into the building and releasing students to families, which is in correlation to staff hours in terms of supervision. We appreciate your support in following those times.
Thank you for all that you do to partner with us. Best wishes to all of you for a safe, relaxing holiday weekend.
Sarah Bentley, SM Principal
HVS SAFETY AND SECURITY
For the safety and well-being of our students, Huron Valley Schools have a firm expectation when it comes to identifying the visitors we have inside the buildings. When you are coming in the building during instruction hours, you must show your ID and state the reason for your visit. Even if we have seen you several times and even if we know you very well, we are still required to ask you for your ID. We ask that you PLEASE be prepared with your identification each and every time you come in to the building during school hours. Please share this expectation with anyone on your student's emergency contact list. We truly appreciate your support of these requirements.
Lost and Found Items
The Spring Mills Lost and Found will be outside during morning arrival and afternoon dismissal next week. Please have your child check this area if they are missing any personal items. Parents may also park their vehicle in the parking lot and walk up to check the Lost and Found.
Spring Mills Bounce House Days! Additional Volunteers Needed. See Link Below.
May 26th Elementary Track Meet
Youth Football Camp
Early Dismissal Protocol Reminder
If you must sign your child out early, we request that you do so prior to 3:30pm to avoid the end of day pack up and dismissal procedures.
Protocol for picking your student(s) up early:
You do not need to notify or call the office in advance. Students are called to the office after their parent/guardian arrives. Please enter the front vestibule of the school and press the call button into the office. We will then call your child from class and have you sign them out. Please share this protocol with any of your Emergency Contacts that may be picking up your children.
Circle Drive Reminders - Please share with other family members who may pick up your student.
Thank you to everyone following the guidelines making the circle drive a smoother experience for your community! Please see reminder below and share these rules with other family members who may pick up your student at times.
Arrival/Dismissal - updated information
- Our building doors open at 9:07am. Please do not drop off early, as there isn't adult supervision outside of the building. You may only use the front loop for drop off
- Upper El Centrum doors close at 9:15am If your child arrives later than this, please use the front doors of the building.
- Safety first! Drivers will need to remain in their lane until all students have been unloaded; you are not allowed to pass other cars if your children unloaded first.
- Also for safety reasons, drivers and other adults must remain in the car during pick up and drop-off. If your child requires help getting in or out of their vehicle please park in the parking lot and walk to the doors to get your child/pick your child up.
- Always have your Anchors Away sign on the passenger side window during afternoon pick up - this keeps things moving quickly for the entire Spring Mills community. Please let your child's teacher or the office know if you need another sign and we will send one home with your child.
- When possible, please move your child seat to the passenger side of the vehicle. Children should not be exiting out into traffic, but rather on the curb side.
- The school day ends at 4:07 pm. Please do not arrive before 4pm. DO NOT EXIT your vehicle from the circle to meet students.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!
You can call our 24-HOUR ATTENDANCE LINE AT 248-684-8086 for all attendance related calls. Please state your child's first and last name and reason for absence.
Attendance is an important component in a student’s education. If we do not hear from you regarding your student's absence, it is our policy to call to verify your student’s absence.
Please do not send your child back to school until they have been vomit-free, diarrhea-free, or fever-free for 24 hours.
EXTENDED ABSENCES AND VACATIONS
If your child(ren) will be absent for an extended period of time, please make sure to complete a pre-arranged absence form available from the office or on our website under Parent Resources.