By: Azeen Bemani
What are Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries are injuries that usually occur during a sport or exercise, specifically involving the musculoskeletal system. They can range anywhere from accidents to poor training to improper equipment.
What Happens if I get Injured?
Remove yourself from any physical activity you are doing if you start to feel pain.
Call a doctor if:
- The injury causes severe pain, swelling, or numbness
- You can’t put any weight on the area
- An old injury hurts or aches
- An old injury swells
- The joint doesn’t feel normal or feels unstable.
If injury isn't as serious then rest your body, put ice on injured area, put even pressure on the spot, and elevat area to reduce swelling.
Easy Ways To Prevent Sport Injuries
- Don’t bend your knees more than half way when doing knee bends.
- Don’t twist your knees when you stretch. Keep your feet as flat as you can.
- When jumping, land with your knees bent.
- Do warmup exercises before you play any sport.
- Always stretch before you play or exercise.
- Don’t overdo it.
- Cool down after hard sports or workouts.
- Wear shoes that fit properly, are stable, and absorb shock.
- Use the softest exercise surface you can find; don’t run on asphalt or concrete.
- Run on flat surfaces.