Horace Mann/Roosevelt Elementary
The mission of Horace Mann/Roosevelt Elementary School
The Importance of Summer Reading
• Students who read over the summer do better in school in the fall.
• Students who do not read over the summer demonstrate academic loss in fall.
• 8 out of 10 studies indicate students who read for fun outperformed those who did not read during the summer.
• Students read more when they can choose their own books.
• Reading 5 books over the summer can prevent academic loss.
• Summer reading loss is cumulative. By the end of 6th grade, children who do not read over the summer are two years behind other children.
What Parents Can Do:
• Stress the importance of summer reading with your child.
• Make reading exciting; don’t think of it as a chore.
• Create a reading list.
• Create a no TV or electronic game time during part of each day.
• Join a summer reading program at your local library.
• Let your child choose his/her own books.
• Keep a supply of reading materials around the house.
• Go to the library regularly.
Kindergarten Registration 2021
Kindergarten Registration for Fall 2021 opens online at www.fargo.k12.nd.us/registration on February 1, 2021. Child must be age 5 by July 31, 2021 to attend school in the fall.
Registration is a two-step process:
STEP ONE: REGISTRATION ONLINE
Complete online registration forms at www.fargo.k12.nd.us/registration. For assistance, please contact your child’s school to schedule an appointment to complete in-person. (masks are required for all visitors)
STEP TWO: SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION
Upload or bring the following documents to your child’s school before August 25 to finalize registration.
- Child’s certified birth certificate
- Child’s immunization record, with 5-year shots
- Document (i.e. current city utility bill or bank statement) that includes parent/guardian name and current address to verify the correct
If you do not know which school your child will attend, call 701.446.1043 or check online at www.fargo.k12.nd.us/boundarymaps.
If you need PowerSchool help, please call 446-1030
Dear HMR Families: As mentioned previously, summer reading is very important to maintain reading skills and stamina from school year to school year. Especially after the COVID pause we all experienced. This has been quite a year! We have come through stronger together and have helped our students grow through this experience. We look forward to next year and look back on this year as we continue to learn and grow with each other in grace and gratitude. More to come in the August 2021 HMR Bulletin of up coming changes to HMR. Stay tuned!
Parents of our 5th Graders –
Mark your calendars on June 1st @ 9:30 a.m. we will be honoring our grade 5 students. The 5th Grade Celebration will be recorded and uploaded to the PTA HM/Roos. Facebook page and sent out in a blast to the classroom parents via the front office.
Dates to Remember:
May 17th NO SCHOOL!
May 18th – 21st Book Fair
May 18th & 19th Red Flag/Green Flag Grade 2
May 19th Spartan Spotlight Wrap Up!
May 20th 1st grade Trophy Ceremony: Your child’s teacher will reach out with more information
Learn Not to Burn – Fire Truck Visit
May 31st NO SCHOOL!
June 1st 5th Grade Celebration 9:00am-9:40am
Mrs. Winters Class, 9:50am-10:30am
Mr. Deyle’s class, 10:40am-11:10am
Mr. Ibach’s class
The 5th Grade Celebration will be recorded and put on our HM-Roos. PTA Facebook page and sent to each class via an email blast from the front office.
June 2nd HMR Field Day. Students and Staff weather permits.
June 3rd Last Day of School! Have a GREAT summer…