Horace Mann/Roosevelt Elementary
SPARTAN BULLETIN - April 2019
The mission of Horace Mann/Roosevelt Elementary School
May 6th Fine Arts Night Roosevelt 6:30pm – 7:30pm
May 7th Choir Tour during the day Tuesday
May 8th Spartan Spotlight Wrap Up! 1:15-2:15 @ Roosevelt
May 9th Grade 3 Walk downtown to the Fargo Theater
May 13th – 18th MCT “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” Practices @ HM
May 18th MCT production of “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” TBD @ Ben Franklin Middle School Auditorium
May 16th Annual Mentor Outing @ NDSU Time TBD
May 17th 2nd Grade Transition Day 11:00 – 1:00
May 17th 1st grade Trophy Ceremony 2:00 – 3:00
May 22nd Kindergarten Program time TBD
May 28th 5th Grade Celebration 9:30 – 10:30 @ Roos. Gym
May 29th Field Day All Day at Roosevelt
The Importance of Summer Reading
• Students who read over the summer do better in school in the fall.
• Students who do not read over the summer demonstrate academic loss in fall.
• 8 out of 10 studies indicate students who read for fun outperformed those who did not read during the summer.
• Students read more when they can choose their own books.
• Reading 5 books over the summer can prevent academic loss.
• Summer reading loss is cumulative. By the end of 6th grade, children who do not read over the summer are two years behind other children.
What Parents Can Do:
• Stress the importance of summer reading with your child.
• Make reading exciting; don’t think of it as a chore.
• Create a reading list.
• Create a no TV or electronic game time during part of each day.
• Join a summer reading program at your local library.
• Let your child choose his/her own books.
• Keep a supply of reading materials around the house.
• Go to the library regularly.
Dear HMR Families: As mentioned previously, summer reading is very important to maintain reading skills and stamina from school year to school year. Thank you for another wonderful year! We look forward to next year and look back on this year as we continue to learn and grow with each other in grace and gratitude. More to come in the August 2019 HMR Bulletin of up coming changes to HMR. Stay tuned! More to come!!
Parents of our 5th Graders – Mark your calendars on May 28th @ 9:30 a.m. we will be honoring our grade 5 students. There will be a brief awards ceremony and treats. The appreciation ceremony will take place in the Roosevelt campus gym.