The Kindergarten Scoop
Mrs. Eckenrode's Classroom Newsletter
Ask Me About...
Here are just a few of the things you can ask your kindergartner about from this past week:
We had an assembly with Payge McMahon- adventure athlete, journalist, and yoga instructor. She shared pictures of her travels from all over the world and explained how she had to overcome many obstacles in life. It was a great life lesson to hear.
Our word families this week were the -et and -ay families. Ask your kindergartner to name and/or write words from these families.
A puppy, a video game controller, a later bedtime, and a baby sister. What do they all have in common? These are just some of the things our kindergartners are wishing for. They learned about persuasive writing after reading the book I Wanna Iguana . We practiced the art of persuasive writing in our journals. Don't be surprised if you get bombarded with letters requesting a new pet, toy, or allowance. Be sure to ask your child what they wanted and the reasons they should have it.
The students had lots of practice sorting, identifying, and naming the value of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters this week. Please continue to review these skills at home with your child.
Sadly, we had to say farewell to Mrs. Kaupas, one of the instructional assistants who helped in our classroom every day. She will be spending time with her family for the remainder of the school year. The students had practice writing friendly letters and shared them with Mrs. Kaupas. She will truly be missed!
The students got to show what they know on kindergarten literacy assessments. I am so proud of how far each and every one of them has come this year!
During library, Mrs. Jones met with the class again. She reviewed call numbers and taught the class that fiction books are in alphabetical order by the author’s last name and demonstrated how this helps us find books on the shelves.
- Saturday, May 14th: The Kutz Spring Fair (12:00-4:00) Rumor has it that the popcorn booth will be the hottest spot with the kindergarten teachers scooping away from 1:00-2:00!
- Wednesday, May 25th: Money for lunch in the cafeteria due (See flyer that came home this week.)
- Thursday, May 26th: Field Trip to Merrymead Farm (9:00-1:00)
- Thursday, May 26th: Fundraiser at Sweet Pea Ice Cream Parlor (4:00-8:00)
- Monday, May 30th: Memorial Day, No school
- Thursday, June 2nd: Lunch in the cafeteria