The History of Moulinette

Lindsay, Noah, Amanda

About Moulinette

Moulinette is a village of 311 inhabitants at the time of the Seaway project. It is located on highway #2, two kilometers west of Mille Roches at the crest of Steve's hill. The name Moulinette is french meaning "little mill," but we aren't exactly sure where the name came from.

Adam Dixon

The Dixon family was the first to settle in Moulinette. Adam Dixon was the one who left a significant mark on the community. He was the first person to take charge of the St. Lawrence River at Moulinette. He made his money by milling wood in the village. With his money, he made sure that the construction of the Christ Anglican church happened. The church was moved to Upper Canada Village thanks to the generous donation of Adam Dixon. His funeral was held at that church after he died on May 9, 1837.

Moulinette's Train Station

The Moulinette Station was built in 1910 through the efforts of Mr. John G. Snetsinger, Member of Parliament for Stormont County. The station was built on the east 1/2 of Lot 31, Concession 1, Township of Cornwall, on property purchased by the Grand Trunk Railway from Rev. Stephen Brownell in 1854. The station served passengers on the Grand Trunk/Canadian National Railway at Moulinette, Ontario. It received passengers, mail, and goods from the Moccasin train on its runs between Brockville and Montreal. before inundation, the station was moved by Moulinette resident Elgin Alguire to his farm south of Avonmore, Ontario.

The Flooding Of Moulinette

Moulinette was flooded in 1958. The village was moved to Long Sault. The train station was moved with the village.