CELEBRATE COLLEGE WEEK WITH AVID
Thundercat Events At-A-Glance
9/20 Football vs LOMS A-Team 5:30 & 7:00 PM @ Elkins HS
9/21Volleyball vs FCMS 5:15 & 6:15 PM @ FCMS
9/23 Teacher Professional Development - No School for Students
TODAY 9/16 IS THE LAST DAY FOR THUNDERCASH!!!
Thanks to you we have made it ALMOST halfway to our goal at 45%. As of 9/16 we have collected $11,290.00!!!! This is the last push to try to reach at least $12,000 by the end of the day. We need your help to make that happen. Please consider donating towards ThunderCash. This is our schools biggest fundraiser this year. No amount is TOO big or TOO small. The students will benefit from your donations though out the year. Thanks in advance for your support!! THUNDER PRIDE NEVER DIES!
RTMS Cellphone Policy
Effective, September 26, we will incorporate the following cell phone policy:
First and second offense, students will get their phones back at 7th period.
Third offense and beyond, parents will have to pay $10 via RevTrak for the student to get their phone returned.
Reminder all cell phones/earbuds/air pods must be put in student backpacks before they walk into RTMS.
We are a cell phone free zone school.
FCA will meet this Fall on Sept. 30, Nov. 4, and Dec. 2 in room T6 outside. Coach Rick Lafavers will be speaking on Sept. 30. For more information contact Coach Barger- email@example.com. Join our SportsYou for updates- E8S74MXK
Student Athletic & Fine Art Event Attendance
Volleyball Games : 5:15 PM & 6:15 PM
Football Games: 5:30 PM & 7:00 PM
Student Gifted & Talented Referral Window Open
GT Referral window is open for parents and teachers through September 30, 2022.
A Message from Ms. Petru, RTMS Principal
September 16, 2022
Good Morning Thundercat Families,
For the most up to date RTMS Newsletter: The Thundercat Weekly newsletter contains updates, deadlines, and important information for RTMS.
It was a big week at Thundercat Country! We had picture day on Tuesday! The students were looking impressive and yearbook ready! And we had Coffee with the Principal on Thursday. Thank you to the parents who attended the Coffee with the Principal, the next Coffee will be November 10th at 7:30am.
Celebrate: RTMS celebrated the band success on another National Recognition and Award from the Foundation for Music Educator’s Nation Wind Band Competition! We are very proud of our Thundercat band. We had football and volley game victories as well. And of course, a special Thank You to our cheer and dance team for keeping the crowd excited to be in Thundercat Country!
RTMS focus of the week is on Diversity is our Strength. This week we recognized the start of Hispanic Heritage Month. RTMS is full of amazing cultural backgrounds. We have a wonderful campus of students from all over the nation and the world. That is something that makes us unique and special. Thundercat Country is a great place to celebrate diversity, and the strength that brings our campus.
Cell Phone update: Parents we need your help. Students are to have cell phones put away in back packs unless a teacher has authorized instructional use. We are starting to see students with phones out and they are saying they need to text their parents. Please let you student know if you need to get old of them, that you can call the front office, counselor, or administrator. They may also get a pass from their teacher to go to an office where they may make a phone call to a parent from a school phone, if needed. Students are authorized to use cell phones at dismissal.
In addition, Effective, September 26, we will incorporate the following cell phone policy:
· First and second offense, students will get their phones back at 7th period.
· Third offense and beyond, parents will have to pay $10 via RevTrak for the student to get their phone returned.
Grades: Progress report 2 is Friday, September 16. This progress report is a UIL eligibility report time. If a student is failing, they will become UIL ineligible. FBISD Grading and Reporting handbook
· Grade periods for eligibility are seven (7) calendar days after the evaluation, with the exception of holidays.
· Students may lose/gain eligibility at the six weeks grading period.
· Students can regain eligibility at both the three weeks progress report and at the six weeks grade report.
· All students are academically eligible during Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break and Spring Break holidays.
Upcoming Event: No school for students on September 23, 2022. That is a teacher professional development day.
Safety- Continued reminder that the building opens, and supervision begins at 8:20am. Students who are left outside will not be supervised until our doors open at 8:20, and they are expected to demonstrate appropriate behavior. In addition, supervision for after school ends when our car rider line is complete, which is generally around 4:45pm.
FBISD update for Mental Health:
Fort Bend ISD’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Department will offer monthly seminars again this year that will provide mental and physical health resources for families. Each seminar will focus on a different area of health for students and families and are aligned to the District’s mission to support the mental, behavioral, social, emotional and physical health of all students in FBISD. The seminars are part of the District’s Whole Child Health Initiative.
o The hour-long seminars will be virtual and no registration is needed to participate. All seminars will begin at 6 p.m.
§ September 21 – Mental Health is for Everyone
As we work to normalize and identify emotional challenges across cultures, learn about the District and campus-based services available to address those needs and challenges.
We will continue to keep you updated on our progress and thank you for partnering with our school to make it the best it can possibly be for your children.
Jennifer Petru, Principal
Ronald Thornton MS
• Tardy: Student Conference
• 2-3 Tardies: Parent Contact
• 4-5 Tardies: Referral, After School Detention
• 6+Tardies: Referral; Saturday Detention and Parent Conference
RTMS Cross Country
Cross Country will hold it’s first practice on Oct. 24 at 7:15 am before school. In order to attend practice you must have physical uploaded in Rank One and all electronic forms filled out. https://fortbendisd.rankonesport.com/New/NewInstructionsPage.aspx
Join our SportsYou for more info- ELZQGSBQ
Girls Basketball Try-Outs are Coming...
Girls Basketball tryouts will be held Oct. 19-21. All athletes must have a physical uploaded in Rank One and all electronic forms filled out. If you plan to tryout please get this done ASAP. If you have any questions please contact Coach Barger – firstname.lastname@example.org.
FBISD Child Nutrition & SHAC Nutrition Committee Collaboration
Child Nutrition and the SHAC Sub-Nutrition Committee would like your support encouraging students to participate in our Farm Fresh Texas @FBISDFoodie Art Contest! The Farm Fresh Art Contest is for students interested in revealing their artistic talents utilizing the "Taste the Rainbow" theme through various art mediums! View contest details in the links found below for more information.
Document: Art Contest Flyer
Arrival & Dismissal Reminder
The safety of our Thundercats is top priority and we appreciate everyone adhering to our dismissal process.
Parents please be kind to our RTMS neighbors and do not drop off or pick up students in those areas. Please use our car rider line. Thank you for your understanding in keeping our Thundercats safe and our neighbors safe too.
· If you plan to drop off/pick up your student by vehicle, please remain in the RTMS designated car rider line.
- When dropping off students for tutorials or clubs 7:50 - 8:15 am, please use the second lane crosswalk area, in the front drive, to drop off in the morning.
- Please have students exit and enter vehicles near the front curb of the campus.
Thank you in advance for following the car rider map.
Thank you for helping to keep our thundercats safe !
- All incoming 7th grade students for the 2022-2023 school year are required to obtain T-dap and Meningococcal vaccines per Texas law, please provide a copy to the clinic.
- As a reminder, students are not allowed to bring any over the counter or prescribed medications to school. All medications must be turned in by the parent/guardian in the original prescription bottle and appropriate documentation filled out.
- All students that carry inhalers or epi-pens should let the clinic know and also should have a permission form and action plan signed by their doctor.
Thank you for reaching out to the Ronald Thornton Middle School Attendance Office! Here are some frequent Q’s & A’s and resource information that may help address your concerns even faster:
1. What should I do if my child is absent?
If your child is absent from instruction, please attach your documentation to an email within 5 days of the absence to email@example.com
2. I believe my child was incorrectly marked absent.
Please contact the teacher who marked the absence. If it is incorrect, the teacher will either edit the attendance or contact the attendance office to make a correction.
3. What do I do if I need to pick my child up early for an appointment?
Sign in at the Front Office with your sate issued I.D., you will get a Visitor’s Badge to the Attendance Office. Sign your student out from the Attendance Office. Please remember to bring a doctor’s note back to school the next day to allow the absence to be excused. Please make sure if you (parent or guardian) are sending another person to pick-up your student/s, they are listed on the emergency contacts.Students will not be released if they are not on the emergency contact.
4. What if I need to add someone on my student/s emergency contact for early pick-up?
Email Christine.firstname.lastname@example.org the name, number and relationship to student/s with a copy of your ID.
5. What is the latest I can pick-up my student?
Student pickup is suspended from 3:40 p.m-4:10 p.m.
6. Do I need to call when my student is absent?
No, calls are considered a courtesy but not an excuse please follow up with a written note or medical note in order for absence to be excused.
7. Why is the absence still showing unexcused?
Once documentation is submitted, it can take up to 48 hours to show in Skyward.
8. What information should be included in the absence note?
Please include first name and last name, grade level, reason for absence.
9. How many days can my student be absent before they need a Medical Note?
According to the FBISD Parent/ Student Handbook, a student can be absent 4 consecutive days with a parent written excuse after the 5th day a medical note will need to be provided.
10. My student is sick and leaving from the clinic, do I need to sign out from the Attendance Office?
You will sign your student out from the Clinic only if the nurse or nurse’s assistant has spoken with you. The nurse will let the Attendance Clerk know and your student will be excused for the missed classes.
If the Nurse or Nurse Assistant does not inform you to pick your student up from the clinic then you will need to sign your student out from the Attendance Office and the student will be called from class.
11. Can my student wait for me in the entrance, if they know I am coming to pick them up?
Due to safety reasons and constant flow of entering and exiting the building, please DO NOT have your student wait for you in the entrance of the school.
12. My child forgot an item (lunch, band instrument, technology, etc.) at home, how can I get it to them?
We do not deliver items to students. Student will not be called out of class to retrieve items. A table is set up in the vestibule, where you are able to drop the item off, text your student the item is at the front of the school on the table. If allowed by the teacher they may come or during passing period to pick item up.
As a part of the Whole Child Health Initiative, Fort Bend ISD is excited to present our first parent webinar of the 2022-23 school year: " Mental Health is for Everyone". The parent webinar will be held on Wednesday, September 21st at 6 p.m. During this session, FBISD's mental health counselors will educate families on the District’s campus-based services targeted to normalize and identify emotional challenges across cultures. Whole Child Health, focuses on Whole Child Health, is aligned with FBISD's Profile of a Graduate, and is committed to supporting and developing the mental, behavioral, social, emotional, and physical health of all students in FBISD.
FBISD Breakfast & Lunch Services
- Free and reduced lunch forms open on August 1. It can be completed at www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd. Families must complete an application for each school year.
- Meal prices for 2022-23 School Year:
- Student Breakfast: $2.00
- Secondary Lunch: $3.00
- Parents may put money in student’s accounts PRIOR to the 1st day of school to avoid longer lunch lines at the start of school.
Please understand that we cannot honor requests for students to ride bus routes other than their own designated route. Students who do not have bus-riding privileges will not be able to ride the bus with their bus-riding friends. Therefore, please plan accordingly so that everyone experiences a smooth dismissal each school day.
Technology Usage: Electronic Devices
1. Electronics/ cell phone policy?
a. Cell phones should be out of sight in the student’s backpack throughout the school day.
b. Teachers will communicate when students can use their electronic devices to aid in the learning process.
2. Are smart phones/tablets required?
a. Smart phones/tablets are not required at school
b. All classrooms are outfitted with a class set of laptops or iPads.
Electronic Devices (Cellphones/Tablets/Laptops) are used for instructional purposes only. Cellphones are not permitted in general areas (i.e. restrooms, locker room, morning grade level areas, cafeteria/commons, hallway)