The Mr. Ellis Newsletter
What's Going On in Mr. E's Class and Around Midway Middle
Week of January 4th to January 8th
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
STUDENTS RETURN ON MONDAY JANUARY 4TH. WE WILL HAVE A BACK TO SCHOOL ASSEMBLY FIRST THING ON MONDAY MORNING.
GRADING PERIOD ENDS ON FRIDAY, JANUARY 15TH. I WILL CUT OFF MY GRADES THIS FRIDAY, JANUARY 8TH. REPORT CARDS WILL GO HOME ON THURSDAY, JANUARY 21ST.
NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY (JANUARY 18TH) AND TUESDAY (JANUARY 19TH)
SCHEDULE FOR THIS WEEK:
WE WILL GO OVER WHAT CAUSES DISEASES THIS WEEK.
THERE WILL BE A QUIZ ON FRIDAY.
HOMEWORK WILL BE GIVEN ON MONDAY/TUESDAY AND IS DUE ON FRIDAY
WE WILL LEARNING ABOUT SOLVING SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS THIS WEEK
QUIZ ON FRIDAY
Home Basketball Game on Thursday. Midway will host Dunn on Thursday. The girls' game will start at 4:00 with the boys game following immediately afterwards. Please come support our Raiders!
End of Semester
The 1st Semester will end on Friday, January 15th. Students will come back on the next Wednesday, January 20th. Monday, January 18th is MLK Day and Tuesday, January 19th is a Teacher Workday.
Report Cards will go out on Thursday, January 21st!
End of Semester
Science Homework Week 17
Diseases Vocabulary 8.L.3.1 for Week 17
Part One: Define the following words.
Part Two: Search each word in Google Images to see pictures and diagrams.
Part Three: Choose the best answer
1.Which would MOST LIKELY result in an E. coli outbreak?
A. air pollution B. fertilized soils C. contaminated meat
2. The process, called pasteurization, involves heating milk before placing it in a sealed container. Which is the BEST explanation of how pasteurization works?
A.Heat strengthens molecules that prevent spoiling
B. The chemical structure of the food changes with the heat
C. Heat killed microorganisms that could cause spoiling
D. The food particles are better mixed after heating
3. Why can a person catch a cold many times?
A. Changes in weather conditions can cause a person to get a cold.
B. People do not develop an immunity to viruses and can be infected by the same virus again and again.
C. There are many kinds of viruses that cause colds and the person may be infected by different viruses each time.
4. Which contagion is correctly matched to the disease it causes?
A. polio-virus B. rabies-fungus C. influenza-parasite D.chicken pox-bacteria
5. Which BEST explains why people can become ill even if they use antibacterial soap?
A. Some studies have concluded that simply washing with cold water is more effective in fighting all types of bacteria
B. Some studies have concluded that simply washing thoroughly with plain soap is sufficient to reduce bacteria and viruses.
C. Since there is low demand for antibacterial products, manufacturers have diluted the original products to increase supply.
D. Since there is a great variety of bacteria, effectiveness against one type does not ensure effectiveness against all types.
6. Which is an example of a parasitic disease?
A. AIDS B. influenza C. malaria D. strep throat
7. Which disease is correctly paired with the cause of the disease?
A. athlete’s foot - fungi
8. Which is the BEST method for preventing a parasitic disease?
A. vaccination C. limiting physical contact with others
B. wearing a mask D. avoiding contaminated food and water
9. Which is the smallest pathogen?
A. virus B. fungus C. bacterium D. tapeworm
10. The symptoms of strep throat infection are a red and swollen throat. What is the most likely cause of strep throat?
A.eating raw vegetables C. invading bacteria
B.drinking lemonade D. running in cold weather
11. Which is the MOST LIKELY reason for a decline in antibiotic use?
A.Antibiotics have severe health side effects.
B.Companies find antibiotics too expensive to produce.
C.Most health insurance does not cover treatment with antibiotics.
D.Bacterial infections have become resistant to present antibiotic treatment.
12. Tooth decay is an infection that causes deterioration of enamel on teeth, resulting in damage. Tooth decay is most likely caused by
A. bacteria B. acidic food C. allergies D. genetic defects
13. What reason best explains why more people get colds in colder temperature?
A.Viruses need colder temperatures to survive
B.Viruses need colder temperatures to infect people
C. Colder temperatures lower a person’s body temperature
D. Colder temperatures cause people to stay inside, closer together.
14. What makes it possible for a person who has recovered from a cold to catch another cold?
A. A cold is a viral infection with many different strains
B. A cold is a bacterial infection that remains active until treated with antibiotics.
C. A cold is a bacterial infection present only during the winter months
D. A cold is a viral infection that remains active until treated with antibiotics.
15. Which BEST compares bacteria and viruses?
A. Bacteria are smaller than viruses
B. Bacteria cause disease, but viruses do not.
C. Bacteria are living organisms, but viruses are not
D. Bacteria have genetic material, but viruses do not.
Would you like to get a text message from me telling you what your child has for homework each night?
For Science 1A (Mon, Wed), text @ellissc1mw to 81010
For Science 2A, (Tues, Thur) text @ellissc1tt to 81010
For Science 8A, (Mon, Wed) text @ellissc8mw to 81010
For Science 9A, (Tues, Thur) text @ellissc8tt to 81010
For Math, text @mathellis to 81010