Water Usage and ways to save it
By Carina, Caleb, Matthew, and Katherine
The water usage of an average person, Shower: 16.8%, Toilet: 26.7%, Faucet: 15.7%, Clothes Washer: 21.7%, Leakes: 13.7% Other: 5.3%. Average American family uses more than 300 gallons of water per day at home (Roughly 70 percent of this occurs at home).A person in California uses an average of 181 gallons of water each day.California uses more water than any other state. California's water usage, Instream Flows: 9%, Required Delta Outflow: 7%, Managed Wetlands: 2%, Irrigated Agriculture: 41%, Urban: 10%, Wild and Scenic Rivers: 31%. It takes 2 gallons of water to brush your teeth, 2 to 7 gallons to flush a toilet, and 25 to 75 gallons of water to shower.
Household water mostly comes from ground-water sources, such as wells, aquifers (underground water reservoirs), and/or springs. It can also come from surface water sources, such as lakes, rivers, or reservoirs. About 90% of Americans get their water from a public drinking source, like a water treatment plant or a county water department. The other 10% get their own water, from wells or from a pond/stream. After being treated at a treatment plant, water then goes to a storage tank. Then, the water is distributed to individual homes for drinking water purposes. 3% of water on Earth is freshwater that is ok to use.The other 97% is salt water that cannot be used unless treated through reverse osmosis.
Household Water Distribution
Water comes from its source, where it is then treated and purified at a treatment plant. After being cleaned of harmful chemicals and of salt, it is distributed to homes. These homes are part of the treatment plant's distribution system.
Tip number one
Use a low flow shower head to save water and money
Tip number two
Use showers to wash, because it takes 70 gallons of water to fill a bathtub
Tip number three
If you have a pool, cover it, so you don't lose hundreds of gallons of water due to evaporation
Tip number four
When using a washing machine, fill it up until it is full to save water
Tip number five
Running full loads in the dishwasher saves more water than washing by hand